Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Miscellaneous Gardening Boards > Tools and Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2013, 07:44 AM   #1
Official Plant Nerd

Default Not exactly a tool in the traditional sense but...

I do use it in my little ponds. I tried fixing it with duct tape but... duct tape failed me. I keep looking at this net and thinking there has to be a way to replace what's there with some left over window screening I've got laying around but.... I'm not seeing how to do it. I've tried taking it apart and I'm getting the feeling that after the netting was put in, the plastic frame was fused somehow. Does anyone have any ideas? I've got 2 nets like this and they're both useless but the poles and frames are still good. I do have scraps of screen laying around. Window screen will probably last longer than what ever is used in these nets that they charge $15 for.
Attached Thumbnails
Not exactly a tool in the traditional sense but...-img_2443.jpg   Not exactly a tool in the traditional sense but...-img_2444.jpg  
Old 05-18-2013, 11:46 AM   #2
Fox

pawprint Sometimes you can use staples with plastic

I would first try sewing rips with fishing line or that fancy quilting thread you have.
If you want the heavy duty metal screen, then rip out your existing mesh, and cover the frame with another screen of your choice, heck you could even use an old T shirt as a net. There again sew it around the edges like you would sew the top onto a drum. If you use metal screen or whatever, you could make the net kind of loose within the frame and stitch the outside lap of the screen around the frame and stitch it back to the inner part of the screen. Sometimes I just think...heyyyy I'm going to fix this thing without buying anything new, using stuff laying around the place. You might be surprised by all the interesting materials you can find in otherwise useless stuff.

You might stitch the new screen with some copper telephone wire (with or without the vinyl insulation your choice), or perhaps an old clothesline cord could be taken apart for the strongest inner threads to sew with.

Your frame looks like they originally fused the nylon mesh between (2) frame pieces and fused it permanently, it probably won't come apart easily unless you try the hot knife method (I can see you now, running in an out of the house with a hot knife)!

ww
wildwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:25 AM   #3
Grub

First tought: tulle, needle, thread Let us know what you ultimately do!
Old 05-21-2013, 11:15 PM   #4
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

I repair nets with that stuff they make bridal or confirmation veils out of. Sounds good called it tulle.
Just cut a piece large enough to wrap around the entire frame. There's two ways of stitching it.... The one on the left being the best as the stitches themselves do not get torn if your nets edge wears scraping along the bottom. The right being the easiest-quickest stitch.
Not exactly a tool in the traditional sense but...-img_2443.jpg
This is showing just a fractional part of what it would look like. Follow all around the corners until you get back to where you had started stitching.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:52 AM   #5
Official Plant Nerd

Sewing the tears by hand with poly thread didn't work.... it actually made the tears worse which is why I tried covering them with the duck tape. I'm gonna use the fiberglass window screen I've got left over and try sewing it on like suggested then using a pond safe adhesive of some sort to hold the stitches in place. I've got 2 of these that need repair so I'll start with 1 and see how it goes. Nobody hold their breath though.... fixing these are real low on my list of priorities and.... I can't remember where I put the left over window screen. I know I didn't throw it out though so that's a plus. It's waiting for me to unearth it somewhere!!!

Tags
fix, fixing, materials, net, netting, repair, repairs, replace, replacement, screen, screening, sense, sew, tear, tool, torn, traditional