Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Miscellaneous Gardening Boards > Tools and Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2013, 07:19 AM   #1
Official Plant Nerd

Default Ya know how everyone complains that they don't make tools the way they used to...

Well.... they don't. This is 1 of my larger watering cans that I use a lot. I was watering my seedlings yesterday and the handle gave way. I took a photo of the side that let loose and you can see how there is a piece of plastic there that looks like it was being used as a spacer of some sort. The other photo is of the other side of the handle that's still holding. I'm thinking of just sticking some sort of a screw through there unless someone has a better idea. The only problem with a screw in the location is I see my sleeves getting caught on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Ya know how everyone complains that they don't make tools the way they used to...-img_2449.jpg   Ya know how everyone complains that they don't make tools the way they used to...-img_2450.jpg  
Old 05-18-2013, 07:30 AM   #2
Official Plant Nerd

This is a smaller watering can that the little rivet (I think that's what the little piece is called that was holding the handle to the watering can) just popped out 1 day. It's not like I left water in this and let it sit outside over winter to freeze and expand and put stress on the rivets and the seams. I didn't it. I drained it and put it away last fall. It's stainless steel like the larger watering can so I'm told it can't be welded. It doesn't seem logical to me that steel can't be welded just because it's stainless steel but.... whatever. After the little rivet popped out, the can leaked. I put a little bit of old silicone in the space between where the handle came together with the body then stuck a screw through it. There's a little washer there that you can't see. I took photos of what I did and the 3rd photo is of the inside. It sorta worked. Water doesn't leak out of the hole anymore but.... it's leaking out of the seam now. I filled it up and watched. Is there anything I can do about that seam? Watering cans are expensive and I just don't think they should be a 1 season use item before ending up in a landfill.
Attached Thumbnails
Ya know how everyone complains that they don't make tools the way they used to...-img_2445.jpg   Ya know how everyone complains that they don't make tools the way they used to...-img_2446.jpg   Ya know how everyone complains that they don't make tools the way they used to...-img_2448.jpg  
Old 05-18-2013, 11:57 PM   #3
Fox

pawprint This idea from the internet~~~

How about a cheap watering can? Do you have some empty plastic 'liquid laundry detergent' bottles????, they come in big size with a screw off measuring cup lid. Drill the 'measuring cup lid' with pepper-pot holes and sprinkle away. Have fun with your pepper-pot pattern, causing the pattern to the very edges of the lid, (drilling at an angle) causing a wide sprinkle, or drill your pattern in the shape of a heart (yanno so your plants know that you love 'em)

If you tied a bone to the thing, I don't think even a pack of dogs could tear up one of those type jars. The modified sprinkler lid is the easiest to clean. I like the jars that have a full 'hand hole', as they are easier to grip.

If your laundry detergent bottle has one of those 'easy pour spouts' at the opening (under the measuring cup lid), see if you can clamp a pair of vice-grips to the spout portion, and pull & pry, hit with hammer if necessary and the spout will remove out of the way. This makes it easier to fill, if the pour spout is removed.

Those broken cans might make fun bird houses, if you paint some pretty pictures on them first.
wildwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:46 AM   #4
Heron

Good re-purposing for the laundry jugs- I'll have to buy some of the jumbo ones they carry

Twist and tear at that spout and it will give just don't impale yourself with tools.

Some metals give off fumes and stainless needs a special filler wire that most hobbyists don't use enough of

That's not to say you can't drill the rivet out and replace with a larger one or a nut and bolt.

As for the seam you could use seal-all which should work if the surface is clean or J&B weld which is a 2 part epoxy but neither is cheap and for 5 dollars you may not think it's worth it

We all need watering cans since dragging the hose can destroy young plants so you might want to keep that one going.
Third year they leap; So plant some today
sprucetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:24 AM   #5
Official Plant Nerd

I'm on a septic field and use a brand of laundry detergent called ECOS. It's not the greatest.... I know "all natural" is just a gimic but.... it's more ecologically responsible using ECOS than say.... Tide or All and lately..... I don't have the time to make my own. Here's what the bottle looks like, http://www.wiredmamas.com/wp-content...laundrydet.jpg. I wouldn't have the reach I'd need repurposing an ECOS jug as a watering can.
--
"That's not to say you can't drill the rivet out and replace with a larger one or a nut and bolt." I think this is the route I'm going to go. I've got a wand waterer out in the green house that's attached to the water supply out there and I can reach anywhere with it and I do have another larger watering can just like the 1 in the photos that I can use outside until I fix the 1 in the photo.
--
I probably wouldn't waste a 2 part epoxy on a little watering can because I never get more than 1 use out of any product like a J&C weld.... which sucks because by the time I need to use it again... I can't get the caps off and there's still product in the tubes that I can't get to. I'm thinking more along the lines of a fish tank or marine silicone sealant. That should work without me having to buy a 1 lb coil of stainless steel which.... I'd have to sit on until this coming fall when I'd maybe get a chance to learn how to use it.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:49 PM   #6
Heron

Your right about any of the laundry detergents being truly green, That's why I feel good about setting up my greywater system for the washing machine. Mine as well let that water percolate into the ground than be treated and dumped into the Detroit river.

Sounds like what ever watering you'll need to do you've got covered
Third year they leap; So plant some today
sprucetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:02 PM   #7
Official Plant Nerd

Ha ha ha.... I've got a "graywater" system too (music to dueling banjos plays). I stick a hose out the 2nd floor bathroom window and water all my plants on the patio in the nearby planters with the bathtub water. All I have to do is weight it down so it doesn't come out of the tub then run downstairs and suck and the water starts flowing. My husband cringes when he sees the hose hanging out the 2nd floor window.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:20 PM   #8
Fox

"It's not like I left water in this and let it sit outside over winter to freeze and expand and put stress on the rivets and the seams. I didn't it. I drained it"

You should see my metal watering can, after I tried draining the last 10 gallons from my 55 drum into it. It is a little squished now an the galvanized seams on top leak. The old saying is 'if you wanna play, you gotta pay'.

ww
wildwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:18 AM   #9
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

watering can

A few ears ago we got a big green plastic watering can from cTarget. Only roger can lift it when full. I has a sprinkling top and a straight pour top too.

Here is something I saw on Pinterest!
Ya know how everyone complains that they don't make tools the way they used to...-image.jpg
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:27 AM   #10
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Silicone seal is what I'd use to repair the seam but you MUST make sure it is completely dry before applying it. Be real careful if you intend to smooth the seam with your fingers as there may be sharp edges from the lost weld.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
complains, make, tools