Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Miscellaneous Gardening Boards > Tools and Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2013, 10:35 AM   #11
Heron

There are online scythe shops that will make it the correct dimensions. It seems very important to make sure the size of the scythe is correct, as this makes the whole process fluid.

I am fairly young but from what I am reading, the process of cutting shouldn't be a vigorous process, but a fluid one.

There are different blades for different sorts of plants. Grass blades are mostly for haying. Ditch blade will do some bigger things (1/4th inch diameter), and a brush blade will take out clusters of sapling trees. Efficiency will be lost by using different blades, as obviously a thin grass blade will dent/split up on larger trees. A brush blade will take forever to cut grass or might not so well since the blade is so large to work against the saplings better.

Will be important to listen to the ground and grass on how to efficiently process the brush/grass. I will be processing meadows in late winter and doing various mowing of areas that are hard to get a heavy mower to.

Also keeping the blade sharp. They suggest every 5min or so to hone the blade and every 2 hours (?) to work on the edge of the blade.

I just got delivery of the scythe and its based on the Austrian model, and not the American. Basically the same as in this video.

I hope I can end up being able to mow my grass and meadows with the scythe.

Last edited by rockerBOO; 05-17-2013 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Fixing links? not sure.
rockerBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:27 PM   #12
Heron

Gee, she even has it piled up easy to pick up when she is done.
Just a little skinny, slip of a girl doing this.
liquidambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:34 AM   #13
Official Plant Nerd

linrose> I never did get the hang of using that scythe..... there were a few times I had to scoop out muck from my eye sockets so I could see to get myself out of trouble. II lost not 1 but 2 boots out there.... never to be found again and it wasn't like I lost a left boot and a right boot so I would still have a pair I could use.... albeit mismatched... I lost 2 lefts so I had to pitch the rights. Figures.
--
rocker> "I am fairly young" braggart. Just funnin with ya. I don't think a scythe is something I'd want to mail order and they really don't have any around here for me to try.... I looked. I'm gonna have to stick to the Stihl until I run into another scythe that's just my size at an estate sale.
--
The scythe in your YouTubes is WAY different than the scythe I have that has 2 handles on it. I could see that style working regardless of our height and arm length. I don't think I've ever seen 1 like that before anywhere. I'd like to try that style.

Tags
brush, brush cutters, brush hog, brushcutter, clear, clearing, clearing brush, cutters, dr brush mower, meadow, mow, mower, mowing, scythe, sickle