Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Miscellaneous Gardening Boards > Tools and Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2013, 12:31 PM   #1
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Default The incredible shrinking hose.

Dragging a double hose filled with water can be such a challenge!
Are you in search of something lighter in weight? If so, Have you ever considered purchasing an expandable hose?

Now I'm not trying to sell you anything... but take a look at this to get a general idea as to the type I'm referring to. Flexable Hose – The Incredible Expanding Green Hose – As Seen on TV

I liked the fact that they weigh almost nothing compared to lugging the common heavy rubber-plastic variety.

My son brought up a very good point about the shrinking factor they have.
He stated....MOM They are not what they seem to be....Sure, they are lightweight BUT what happens once you start watering and the pressure is released. That thing is now wanting to shrink back to its tiny little self THUS you will have to exert a forward force with the thing, in other words, hold onto it pretty good to keep it from pulling itself towards the shut off valve.

He then stated, If you watch the commercial.... they only show you what they want you to see for a reason. If you take notice...They show you the person watering for a very short time and then cut away, Keeping from you what happens after, the pressure has been released.

Has anyone ever bought and tried one of these?

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:06 PM   #2
WG Fundraising Coordinator

I've seen that TV ad! It's a little creepy I must say, all that expanding and contracting. Yeesh!

I think your son has a good point. I've tried hose gimmicks in the past, those coiled ones that are OK for light duty use in a short length, I have one for the front pots by the door. I already replaced one with a longer length. The water flow is minimal so no good for general watering. I thought it would be good for the deck also but no way, it's not really a good solution for most situations.

Believe me, I know what schlepping hoses is all about! I get the most heavy-duty (which means HEAVY) ones I can find to prevent kinking but they all kink, no two ways about it. Once the rubber gets warm they just turn to mush. In the high heat of summer I usually leave them where they are instead of putting them back and hauling them out again every few days. Not a good look. My landscaper friend is always trying to get me to install watering systems but I'm a low tech kind of country gardener. Plus I try to let the rain water the gardens unless it's a dire situation.

I do like to hand-water, especially the new plants. If there's a drought and I need to water to keep things alive I'll use a low output sprinkler in early morning to avoid evaporation and cover a whole area. My favorite is small and low-tech, it looks like the top of salt shaker and only sprays up in a 360 degree spray as tall or low as you want it as you adjust the water flow. I like to put it under plant leaves, I get a double benefit, washing off aphids, spider mites and the like and limiting evaporation and waste. Those oscillating sprinklers are useless, unless you have young kids that like to run through them!

Why don't you be the guinea pig and try one of those shrinking hoses and let us know how it works!
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:44 PM   #3

Coiled ones, as in what I was speaking about?

Old 04-10-2013, 01:46 PM   #4

I'd need many multiples in the long run but WAS thinking about getting one to try. Nothing else I could use it just on the porch if it pulls too hard for distance OR return it!

Old 04-10-2013, 02:17 PM   #5
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

See if it's offered on Amazon as they post reviews!
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:20 PM   #6
WG Fundraising Coordinator

No, like this.
Gatorhyde Coiled Garden Hose - Watering at Burpee.com
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:44 PM   #7
Heron

I couldn't see it lasting long if it's expanding and shrinking among wood chips and pine needles.

Some study was done and the gardening industry is always growing, Last year it was topsy turvy tomato planters.
Third year they leap; So plant some today
sprucetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:18 PM   #8
WG Facilitator

I dont' watch TV, and never saw the ad. But I bought one like that - I think it may have been called a Pocket Hose. They sell them in 25 & 50 ' lengths. It was easier to handle. My situation was watering newly planted rows. Water down the 50 foot rows, then move the hose down to water the next set of rows. Trying to not drag it across the plants.

It WAS easier to manage. Unfortunately, it's no a heavy duty hose. I would not expect it to last more than one season. It only lasted a week - we walked outside to see a fountain spewing in the garden and the yard full of water. The dog apparently punctured it. I doubt that it would have happened with a tougher hose - we have hundreds of feet of hose out there.

So - very convenient product, but did not stand up to the challenges it faces here.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:26 PM   #9
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

I think your son brings up a good point...and one I hadn't read about when reading the reviews a month or so ago...but, like biigblue says, from what I've read, it is not good quality--though I'd only heard that about the connections, not the hose itself.

I really like the IDEA of it, but, I feel it would be a waste of money...unfortunately.
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:36 AM   #10

Ok I'll be the guinea pig (or sucker) to go ahead and give it a try.
I found and bought one at a local store last night (50 feet for under $20.00) to see how it is but.... my water's still shut off for the season until it warms up here.
I think this is one hose that you WILL need to shut off in between use. I can't see it lasting long if kept under pressure so it's definitely going to have to be a hands off to those forgetful car washing fiends of mine.

Ah ha...I've got it! I have an adapter set up on the faucet inside my plant room to drain and fill my fish tanks. I "might" be able to hook into that if the threads match and run it out the nearby exit to give it a try once I locate an adjustable hose nozzle. I want to see if those fit onto its end as well before deciding if it's worth keeping.

Tags
hose, incredible, shrinking

« Garden Hand Tools | - »