Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Miscellaneous Gardening Boards > Tools and Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2013, 09:29 PM   #1
Official Plant Nerd

Default DIY Cheese Press

I think this goes here.... it was either start it here or put it in recipes so I picked here. If it needs to be moved.... go for it.
--
I forget who it was talking about making their own cheese. I know the thread is out there somewhere but… I can’t find it. What I did find was a DIY cheese press that looks easy enough to make ourselves, Cheese Press, CHEESYPRESS ®. That press looks better and… more functional than presses I’ve seen for sale. Now all I have to do is get around to taking cheese 101 classes so I can rationalize making the press!!!
Old 01-24-2013, 10:43 PM   #2
WG Writer

I haven't made cheese (well I have made yogurt cheese) and I do make tofu and press tofu from time to time.

The way to do it is put the block of tofu or yogurt in a cotton dish towel, or you could use cheese cloth if you have it. place in a colander or sieve with a flat bottom. Fill a pan with water. Put the pan filled with water on the block of wrapped tofu or yogurt.
Another strategy is to fill a quart jar with water. Put a lid on the jar and place the jar on a plate over the wrapped curd. Put the whole thing suspended over another container and refrigerate over night, or just check after a few hours and pour off the liquid. Continue until the curd is the way you want it. You probably have these items in your kitchen already without going to the trouble of making an elaborate cheese press. Usually it is advised not to use any metal except stainless steel, but crockery is the best to use. Sometimes people use plastic strainers instead of stainless steel if you have it.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:14 AM   #3
Heron

Thanks for the link to the cheese press.
I am going to try learn to make cheese.
I did not appreciate the fact that cheese was really a way to preserve milk. I just always really liked cheese.

Not having a cheese press has so far been holding me back. I am too lazy to make one.
oh and getting some calcium chloride salt - to harden my cheese - I don't have that yet either.

Plus Hazelnut taught me how to make Greek yogurt, and so far I can't get ahead enough of my family eating that - to make the cheese.
liquidambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:16 AM   #4
Heron

60 dollars to order it and 10 dollars to mail it.

A brick sounds better all the time.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:35 AM   #5
WG Writer

A quart jar filled with water on a plate with a vegetable steamer works fine.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:59 AM   #6
Official Plant Nerd

Ya... I've read a brick will work... so does a bucket of water on a plate and they're a LOT cheaper than buying 1 of those presses but.... a cheese making 101 and 102 class is on my list of things to do and if I'm reading that article right.... it'd only cost about $20 making the cheesy press and I'm sorta getting into using the tools I've bought for myself.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:11 PM   #7
Heron

I saw a couple of You Tubes that have guys making their own.
One had a five gallon bucket with 100s of holes drilled in it. He owned a big dairy of goats though.

There were a couple of others - that had a plastic can - the type that shortening came in - both ends were gone. They both had a smaller can to fit in that one, plus they had a couple of boards held together with long lag screws - for later when the cheese needed more weight.

I have not decided yet how I am going to make one.
I think some of them are turning/flipping the cheese too - so I don't see how the five gallon bucket could be flipped over.

Hazelnut are you suppose to flip the tofu?
Old 01-25-2013, 01:17 PM   #8
Official Plant Nerd

I wish you'd post the links to the YouTubes you found. I really am gonna take a cheese making class.... 1 of these days.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:28 PM   #9
Heron

This guy has an easy manner and a deep voice

How to Build a Cheese Press | Chickens in the Road

This is the same guy explaining again in more detail of how to make one - only he is not showing it at work pressing the cheese
like he did on the first link
Homemade 10 Dollar Cheese Press - YouTube

This is making a cheese press with drain pipes.

How To Make A Cheese Press - YouTube
Old 01-26-2013, 09:58 AM   #10
WG Writer

I don't flip the tofu. The tofu block is only about 2 in thick and is being pressed against the flat bottom of the sieve so it is draining. And a 1 qt jar of water is pretty heavy. Not sure of the density compared to a brick.

I usually do this, before dicing the tofu block for drying in the dehydrator, so Im not going for the consistency that you would be in cheese making.

Tags
cheese, diy, press