Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Miscellaneous Gardening Boards > Tools and Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2012, 09:12 AM   #1
Official Plant Nerd

Default Anyone have any ideas how I'd go about making me a chicken tractor mover like this....

When I went on the Polyface lunatic tour.... I saw this handy dandy chicken tractor mover that I lust for. I still don't know how to weld though. My tractor has wheels on 1 end like the chicken tractors the Salatins have do but I've got handles on my tractor so I can lift it and move it and it'd sure be nice having this tool!!! They can't be bought... I asked to buy 1 from them. They made this themselves but there were too many people wanting his attention that I didn't want to ask how they made it. I'm thinking they just pieced theirs together using what was laying around in their tool shed then took some wheels off of some piece of equipment that had outlived its usefulness to them.
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone have any ideas how I'd go about making me a chicken tractor mover like this....-img_0424.jpg   Anyone have any ideas how I'd go about making me a chicken tractor mover like this....-img_0425.jpg   Anyone have any ideas how I'd go about making me a chicken tractor mover like this....-img_0426.jpg  
Old 10-08-2012, 09:16 AM   #2
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
I still don't know how to weld though...

The only thing that comes to my mind is to find someone who welds and barter with them. Offer some free eggs (or something else) in exchange for their welding skills.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:17 PM   #3
Fox

Instead of starting from scratch, or waiting until you've completed your welding course, how about modifying something like this:
Tuff Stuff Products Tuff Muck Bucket Cart, 300 lb. - 2225266 | Tractor Supply Company
Quote:
Tuff Stuff Products Tuff Muck Bucket Cart is great for muck bucket 70 qts, or bales of hay (rectangular bales) bags of feed, and other cargos around the farm. Steel metal pipe construction with adjustable handle height. Color Gary. By removing 2 pins the cart can be folded flat for saving space in barns and trailers. 10" pneumatic tires for easy rolling on dirt road or grass. 1 year limited warranty against manufacturer's defect. The warranty does not include normal wear and tear. This products is patented by Tuff Stuff Products, Inc.
  • 30 in. x 42 in. x 47 in.
  • Capacity: 300 lb
  • Two 10 in. tire dia.
  • 1 year limited warranty
Just add a couple of tabs or hooks to the bottom front bar to slide under the front of the chicken tractor. Seems like it would be useful for a lot of other hauling chores as well.
I will age, but I refuse to get old.
NEWisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:14 PM   #4
Fox

nice idea newisc, I like the simple wheel dolly TSC also offers Hand Truck, 600 lb. Capacity - 389338999 | Tractor Supply Company

I think an removable 4" bolt, afixed to the lip of the dolly, or (2) spikes for the mucket bucket cart, the bolt sticking up would act like a 'spike' and keep the cumbersome objects hooked on, as you tug away!

Definitely get the larger wheels if possible, so they don't 'jump down in a hole & get stuck', like the little lawnmower wheels do.

ww
wildwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:11 PM   #5
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Shoot...Doesn't look much different than a modified dolly, garbage or luggage cart.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:55 PM   #6
Official Plant Nerd

I'll have to think about this. It seems like what all you guys came up with is the path of least resistance. I dunno if I want to spend that kind of $$$ though. Maybe I can pick 1 up at a garage sale or something. It sure is getting hard lugging the chicken tractor around though and I don't have any scrap metal laying around. Wheels.... I've got.

Tags
chicken, ideas, making, mover, tractor