Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Miscellaneous Gardening Boards > Tools and Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2012, 08:53 AM   #1
Official Plant Nerd

Default Stirrup hoe.... I thought that's what it was called...

I got a chance to watch an old family friend using a home made tool I can't remember ever seeing before. It worked.... it worked well. I decided I NEEDED 1 of these hoes but... her husband hasn't welded in years and got rid of all his welding equipment so getting him to make 1 for me by getting on my knees and begging wouldn't work. I got lucky stopping at a sale and couldn't believe my eyes but.... there was 1 of these weird looking hoes for sale for $2. Too bad the person ahead of me bought it. Easy come easy go. Here's what they look like, Image Detail for - Old-fashioned Hoes Make Quick Work of Weeds.. Pretty cool, eh? I looked up these hoes trying to figure out what they were called so I could try to buy 1..... easier said than done. Turns out they're called oscillating hoes, scuffle hoes, loop hoes, hula hoes, and stirrip hoes so.... that sucked. I started looking for them online using the gazillion names they go by and was like jumping for joy when I found out Home Dumpo sold 2 different kinds. I drove over and looked at their stirrup hoes and realized they were cheap junk that wouldn't last 1 gardening season. No point buying 1 if it feels flimsy and inferior because that usually means it will self destruct in no time flat. Just sorta curious.... does anyone know of an American manufacturer of these "stirrup" type hoes?
Old 09-07-2012, 08:55 AM   #2
Official Plant Nerd

Neat article I ran across trying to find a stirrup hoe for sale, Specialty Garden Hoes: A New Look at an Old Gardening Tool. Too bad they didn't add photos to each type of hoe.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:50 AM   #3
WG Fundraising Coordinator

Johnny's has one, nice with Swiss steel replaceable blade and Maine ash handle. Pricey, not $2 unfortunately.

5" Stirrup Hoe - Johnny's Selected Seeds
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:41 PM   #4
Heron

I have one I bought at Home Dope-O not the greatest quality but the price was not bad and it works just fine.
recurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:30 PM   #5
Official Plant Nerd

I went and looked at Home Dumpo.... ours isn't carrying any!! Bummer. I found 1 online that interests me because replacement blades are cheap and there's a dibber tool with an angled handle I could buy at the same time that I wouldn't have to pay shipping and handling on if I ordered it at the same time I bought the stirrup hoe and a replacement blade, Ammann & Rouge Hoes. It looks like it's pretty rugged. What do you guys using these tools think of the stirrup hoe I found?

Tags
called, hoe, stirrup, thought