Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Miscellaneous Gardening Boards > Tools and Supplies

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2012, 12:02 PM   #1
Heron

Default Ideas for homemade birdbaths?

Do you have a birdbath made from unconventional supplies that were just sitting around, unused? I'd love to get ideas on using items that you already have onhand for making a birdbath. Sometimes my creativity is a bit lacking, and I KNOW some of you on WG have lots of ideas to spare. Please share!
BeeWonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:46 AM   #2
Official Plant Nerd

Just about anything that'll hold water will work as long as it can be cleaned easily. When I was driving up to 4B's I had to work my way through a lot of small towns. I was stopped in traffic in front of a little house that had wreaths of grape vines with birds resting on them. I took a closer look and could see that telltale tupperware green of the 60's and 70's in the middle. She'd used old tupperware containers and wound grape vines around the edge and they looked really nice. havalotta's aunt used to put out pots and pans filled with water out her front door. She'd put pie tins out too that she'd fill with sunflower seeds for her chippies and she had an assortment of hanging feeders. That area was a bird magnet and she didn't use anything except what she had on hand. My mom's best friend used ceramic chip and dip and veggie trays. What's really neat about those is they can be really colorful and they're shallow. She was picking em up mostly from church rummage sales. What she did is she filled the centers with anything she had on hand like sunflower seeds or worms then she'd fill the rest with water and the birds sit on the dividers and the rim when they're flying in for fresh water and treats.
--
I don't know if you're interested but I kept a photo of a trickle tower that uses ceramic pots and a small pump and those trickle towers ARE bird magnets and I don't think they're all that hard to make.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:15 AM   #3
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
My mom's best friend used ceramic chip and dip and veggie trays. What's really neat about those is they can be really colorful and they're shallow. She was picking em up mostly from church rummage sales. What she did is she filled the centers with anything she had on hand like sunflower seeds or worms then she'd fill the rest with water and the birds sit on the dividers and the rim when they're flying in for fresh water and treats.
I really like those ideas! It seems the birds need something to grip with their feet. Ceramic sounds like a good material for that.

I love photos of any and everything ... so if you have any I'd love to see them!
Old 07-03-2012, 11:59 AM   #4
Official Plant Nerd

Believe it or not.... I actually tried to get a photo of the tupperware in the grape vine swirls.... I rolled down the passenger side window when I was stopped and pointed the camera and clicked. Too bad I forgot the lens cap!!! hava's aunt hasn't been able to live in her home for a few years.... she's in her mid 90's and needs more help than what a traveling aid can provide. Too bad there's nothing out there for me to take photos of for you or I would. Her set up was the epitome of function!!! The veggie and dip tray I can probably get a photo of for ya since I'm going back home next weekend. It's funky but.... definitely functional. She had a chip and dip tray that had strawberries underglazed but that 1 did bite the dust when it started cracking so she pitched it. Here's what I'm talking about, 12" Sea Life Tiled Ceramic Veggie Section Serving Tray FREE SHIPPING | eBay and John Deere Chip and Dip Serving Tray | eBay.
--
I can't find the trickle tower photo.... doesn't mean I don't have it since I'm sure I do.... just means I don't know where I stashed it and can't remember what I titled the photo. Here's something along the same lines until I can figure out where I stored it for "safe keeping", Clay Pot Fountain | Flickr - Photo Sharing! and Fibreglass Terracotta Pots Fountain - Products - Channel Enterprises. The 1 I saved a photo of had shards of ceramic tile glued onto the outside of the pots or maybe they were jugs. I liked what I saved well enough to save it so I'll keep looking for the photo for you. I recall the total time making 1 of them was like a half hour so it'd be a fun project for you and the kids. You'd just have to ask somebody who is handier than me like sprucetree or suunto or havalotta to figure something out for ya for the pump.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:33 PM   #5
Heron

I am so "un-handy" I'm not sure even with directions that I'd be able to do it!!! I wish I was better at these things. I like the way that clay looks, I think I'd prefer something with clay. You are a wellspring of ideas, Equil! When I originally posted this question I was hoping that you would answer!
Old 07-03-2012, 12:56 PM   #6
Rock Star

I took an old cement bird bath base and put a large glazed pot saucer on top for an easy to clean bird bath. You can use a base from a gazing ball also, I found one of those minus the ball curbside for garbage pickup a few years back.
Anything with a flat top will do. If you want the interior to be terra-cotta you just need to find a saucer with the exterior rather then the interior glazed.
The original top was cracked and needed continual bleaching to get rid of algae.
I was worried about the interior glaze as it was an unknown quantity so I put a glass pie plate inside and it seems to work well.
will-o-wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 01:42 PM   #7
Official Plant Nerd

Ummm.... better look somewhere else.... there's not an ounce of creativity in me. I do know what I like though and "steal" ideas left and right and I have no qualms about experimenting so I save a lot of things.... too bad I can never find em when I want to.... like right now.... I'm still looking for that blasted photo that's so cool because I KNOW I saved it and I KNOW I woulda never deleted it no way no how!!! I did find something on a simple table top pump though and I'm attaching it for you. I'm thinking even the un-handiest of the un-handiest could make this little bird fountain.
Attached Files
File Type: docx DIY mini fountain.docx (22.2 KB, 8 views)
Old 08-04-2012, 11:46 AM   #8
Official Plant Nerd

I found the photo I was looking for of a home made trickle tower. I guess they called it that and that's what I filed it under. The 2nd photo is just a store bought trickle tower a friend of mine bought for his wife at like Home Dumpo or some other big box. I think he said he paid over $100 for it and I'm thinking it looks real nice and all but.... we could make our own for the cost of like $15. These trickle type towers are bird magnets. Sprucetree or somebody could probably figure out how to rig tubing and get something like this running with a little pump. I've got a pump I bought at a garage sale with the thought in the back of my head that I'd try something like this someday.
Attached Thumbnails
Ideas for homemade birdbaths?-pond-waterfeature-surfhead_21.jpg   Ideas for homemade birdbaths?-img_9961.jpg  
Old 08-04-2012, 01:39 PM   #9
Heron

With those store bought trickle towers they did all the Engineering for you; If you want to re-purpose house-hold items or Terra cotta planting pots all you have to do is make sure the water flow returns for another cycle.

Flower Pots filled with pea gravel are good because the water going in the top will drain out the holes made for drainage. One of these would be great for bees, dragonflies, butterflies and anything that can crawl over the moist gravel. The cool thing about the flowerpot filled with pea gravel set on a bed of pea gravel is the water supply line can be hidden and run up into the pot through the drain hole[s] making it look like a spring bubbling up from in the pot.

To get the trickle tower going you'll need a pump that takes the water from the bottom reservoir to the top one. Just a cheap pump from AMAZON will do; You're not concerned about head pressure or GPH because we aren't running against any resistance powering fountain heads and just want to keep the water moving.

Needless to say Tupperware and plastic bird baths will get algae; But are easy to clean, Terra Cotta is tougher but looks good wet. I've had bad luck with aluminum; It's always needing a scrub with barkeeper's to get it clean. If you can scavenge some copper kitchen throw-offs more power to you, Seems copper keeps the water healthy ...That's why it's used in plumbing in your home. Running the pump water through it makes sense too but plastic PEX fittings from H.D. may be more user friendly.

Don't get over-whelmed when buying fittings; Their standardized using the fractional breakdown and adapters. If you're making a trickle tower you'll need just one flexible piece from bottom to top and the pump outlet will dictate how big it is and how high to the top will dictate how long it is. Where it gets fun is if you're making something more complex that has a bird bath or two and a bed of moist pea gravel where it all drains back to the pump sump. Then you'll need more than one line which gets split to each bird bath and pea gravel spring bubbler. A good way wrap your head around this is to go in the bathroom and see how the piping starts big and gets smaller to each fixture. Or think of as tree the trunk is big[pump outlet] and then branches off to smaller branches to get water to the leaves.
Third year they leap; So plant some today
sprucetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 02:49 PM   #10
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Quote:
We could make our own for the cost of like $15
THAT'S why you wanted my extra fountain.
You're planning on ripping out its guts and making one of these! You sly dawg you!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bath, bird, bird bath, birdbath, birdbaths, ceramic tile, clay, creative, fountain, home made, homemade, hose, ideas, make, materials, pump, recycle, recycled, terracotta