Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Miscellaneous Gardening Boards > Tools and Supplies

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2012, 08:31 PM   #21
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

If you are using a baby pool, I'd make sure you include some kind of "ramp" for critters to get in and out so nothing drowns. A tree branch or flat rock with a rough surface would likely be appreciated. Creating various depths would make the water more accessible to various birds to bathe.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:41 PM   #22
Salamander

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwatcher View Post
I don't remember using soap, I think I just swim around and rub the sides and floor by hand then flood the dogwood. I also bailed water out of it, to use on plants. I think the brown gunky algae is normal if you don't often times manually scourer with something. Yanno when ya spend an hour or so in the baby pool each day, keeping the thing clean is kind of fun.

wildwatcher
Well it sure sound fun the way you put it wildwatcher! Maybe I need to get one of those pools for me to chill out in!
scarecrowsdrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:50 PM   #23
Fox

pawprint wildwatcher recommends scarecrowsdrm, a baby pool!

The little pool became a necessity for us this year, our air conditioner finally quit, with that in mind I thought the pool was the best $20 I've spent all year! Luckily I found a good used A/C unit today, only $50...keeping fingerz crossed that I have it working by next summer.

I've had the baby pool folded up for the winter for at least a month now, but this thread has reminded me of my little 'wilderness waterhole' out back yanno, that leaks...I may well find time to try an fix it with the baby pool liner. I just hope the old fiberglass TV dish, that I tried to originally line the 'wilderness waterhole' is 8' diameter, or my baby pool won't fit. That was fun trying to install...imagine me & wife (Destiny) rolling this big sucker thru the woods, between trees, fall over & and pick it back up...~~smillllllllllleeeeeeeees~~we have lots of fun like that around here. Of course there is the 'not so much fun' part, digging the hole in the middle of 'nowhere' which took me a month I guess. LOL, its slow digging with a pick gawwwwd I was hoping I wouldn't have to revisit the thing, after it immediately leaked, tried 'fixing it 3X' and finally threw some sticks in there like Dapjwy mentioned, and promptly forgot about the leaker.

wildwatcher
wildwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:24 PM   #24
Salamander

Dadgum, that hole digging part doesn't sound like much fun---I have already dug one big hole on my place through black clay (for a bog), and it sometimes required a pick ax---but that was when I was about seven years younger!
Old 10-13-2012, 01:57 PM   #25
Official Plant Nerd

Pick axes are our friends!!!
--
scarecrowsdrm> You have a bog!!! How cool is that!!! You've got to post some photos if you can!!!
Old 10-14-2012, 08:38 PM   #26
Salamander

Well, I am very sorry to say that my "bog" is not impressive at all, since the drought, and this summer wasn't very good either. The best picture I have was, sadly, taken back in 2010 and it hasn't looked very good since.

Since then, I have been fighting bermuda grass, nut grass and persimmons---the latter sets deep tap roots very fast, and the racoons love persimmons, and enjoy using the bog as a latrine! The bog is set in a low spot that collects water in rain; unfortunately our rains are not much lately. The spider lilies didn't come back this year. I wanted to try hugelculture there, but the ground is black clay and hard as iron. And time has had to be allocated to other projects.
Attached Thumbnails
Ideas for homemade birdbaths?-meadow-bog.jpg  
Old 11-04-2012, 05:14 PM   #27
Official Plant Nerd

Ya know.... there was a really beautiful birdbath in a little rest area at the entrance to Tishomingo I think that was definitely hand made that I saw that I thought was just so simple that I took a photo of it. I liked the hanging bird feeder that was there and took a photo of it too. I don't know how they did it... maybe they used a chisel and some sort of a drill for stone so they could hang it?
Attached Thumbnails
Ideas for homemade birdbaths?-img_1548.jpg   Ideas for homemade birdbaths?-img_1549.jpg  
Old 11-04-2012, 08:07 PM   #28
Fox

Super birdbath! Handmade, perhaps, but who among us could achieve that without breaking the stone block in the wrong place????? It's one of those - "I wish I could do that."
benj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:05 PM   #29
Official Plant Nerd

Ya.... I thought it was awesome too!!! Almost makes me want to go out and get a chunk of rock and a chisel... almost....

Tags
bath, bird, bird bath, birdbath, birdbaths, ceramic tile, clay, creative, fountain, home made, homemade, hose, ideas, make, materials, pump, recycle, recycled, terracotta