Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Miscellaneous Gardening Boards > Tools and Supplies

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2012, 06:51 PM   #11
Official Plant Nerd

spruce> way to go!!! I figured you'd know how to rig something!!!
--
hava> Noooo..... I've got a spare pump. I'm good to go. The scavenger in me surfaced is all.... if you were just gonna pitch it.... I woulda gutted it for the pump!!!
--
BeeW> just curious but.... what did you think of that trickle tower or whatever they're calling it? The 1 made out of all the broken pieces of ceramic tile?
Old 08-22-2012, 01:43 AM   #12
Heron

camera5 Sometimes pictures can tell the whole story

The pump will sit in the cement sump that has a screen to keep out leaves. The pump has a filter built in. The pump was 20 dollars on Amazon and moves water through a half inch outlet which I've branched off into 3 separate three eighths outlets. The pump comes with plastic fittings and the plastic tubing just slips on the manifold that I made out of copper, But the same could be done in plastic.
Attached Thumbnails
Ideas for homemade birdbaths?-pond-pump-002.jpg  
Third year they leap; So plant some today
sprucetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:57 AM   #13
Official Plant Nerd

I'm impressed!!! I take it you know how to weld too? If you do.... I'm doubly impressed!!! So.... whatcha gonna add to your creation?
Old 08-24-2012, 09:05 PM   #14
Heron

cardinal2 A truly re-purposed water feature

It's probably not for everyone but I can say I'm providing moving water for the wildlife and the splashing water is soothing, It's right under the kitchen window so I can see any activity. I tried to accommodate every creature, The pea gravel for insects and the re purposed snow saucer for a large and shallow bird bath. You can see the ceramic turtle fills with water for the guys that can't reach the bird baths.
Attached Thumbnails
Ideas for homemade birdbaths?-pond-001.jpg   Ideas for homemade birdbaths?-pond-002.jpg   Ideas for homemade birdbaths?-pond-003.jpg  
Old 08-25-2012, 07:39 AM   #15
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

WOW You have a lot going on in that one little area..It'll look real nice once it matures and all comes together.
Do you have to take the pump out and drain it come Winter?

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 12:21 PM   #16
Heron

Yes the plastic tubes just slip on and off, They don't even need hose clamps since the pump doesn't build much pressure. I'll probably take the pump out when the leaves start falling.

The kiddie pool liner is a few years old and those things don't take UV rays very well but it's still not leaking. When it starts leaking I'll just mix some cement for the form, Them form the cement so it's more of a water fall than a brook running downhill.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:24 PM   #17
Official Plant Nerd

I once sealed a birdbath with an epoxy that was "wildlife" safe. I really like what you're doing and think it's gonna be a big draw..... do you want me to start frisking this house to find out what the name of that epoxy sealant was? Another option would be keeping your eyes open for scraps of roofing liner. Except for the coating on it that can be washed off with dawn dishwashing detergent... it's basically the same thing as pond liner.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:56 PM   #18
Fox

Be on the look out at walmart, last week I saw 10 left over 'baby pools' for $5 ea. of course I bought mine early in the summer for $17, but I may go back an get another now that I'm remembering to consider the wildlife. The liner is big, nearly 8' diameter.

ww
wildwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:15 PM   #19
Salamander

The little swimming pools look like a great idea, but how do ya'll keep them clean? I have terrible problems with brown gunky algae down here in my bird baths.
scarecrowsdrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:25 AM   #20
Fox

watering can not a very good answer

Hey scarecrowsdrm, ummmm well ya, hummmph cleanliness~~~ I just thought it was a deal on the pvc lining if someone needed a thought of cheap waterproof lining that large. My baby pool was primarily for me!

We had a darn hot summer yanno! Location, location, location?, that might be one key to keeping pool clean, also a grassy or plastic runway and an extra bucket of water help with clean feet, the blue jays prefer the sturdy 5 gal. bucket water to the flimsy baby pool. I kept buckets full this year, in various places, occasionally waste the water on plants & refill.

I had a frog that realllllllly liked mine, I threw him out 3X, and he was back in there next day, the dirtier the water got the better he liked it. The birds seemed to like it, perhaps because mine was stuck just by a tree, the red wasps did ok too, they hit it hard at noon. My dogwood tree liked it, because when it did get too funky, I just push the side in & flood the tree area, which I have an awesome dogwood/red oak there, that I simply couldn't afford to lose, and this one that got watered from the baby pool cleaning is doing well, I wish I could say the same for some other dandy ones that have quite possibly died from the drought this year.

I don't remember using soap, I think I just swim around and rub the sides and floor by hand then flood the dogwood. I also bailed water out of it, to use on plants. I think the brown gunky algae is normal if you don't often times manually scourer with something. Yanno when ya spend an hour or so in the baby pool each day, keeping the thing clean is kind of fun.

wildwatcher
wildwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bath, bird, bird bath, birdbath, birdbaths, ceramic tile, clay, creative, fountain, home made, homemade, hose, ideas, make, materials, pump, recycle, recycled, terracotta