Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Miscellaneous Gardening Boards > Tools and Supplies

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2012, 09:02 AM   #11
Official Plant Nerd
 
Equilibrium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Default

I know.... we wouldn't want to deprive our lounging linoleum lizards of their "right" to tongue-wash our plates before we put them in the sink. Uh uh.... no could do that with a clean conscience!!!
--
You've forgotten more about cooking and baking then I've ever known so you need to start fessing up to "stupid" things you've bought and what's collecting dust by you!!!
__________________
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
- Dr. Seuss
Equilibrium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:05 AM   #12
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator
 
havalotta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Michigan
Default

We're still using the flatware we bought when we married. I was smart enough to buy a real decent service for 12 at the time.
We had a sterling set but I really disliked the flavor it gave off. Like chewing a piece of tin foil stuck on a slice of gum.

Corel...Hate hate hate the stuff. Seems sooooooooooooo plastic.

Can't stand drinking from warm edged plastic glasses either. All our glasses and cups are either glass or ceramic of some sort. Not made in China!

When we replaced the fridge, I did not want an ice cube maker in the door taking up much needed space from the fridge.
The ice is created in the freezer where it belongs. If someone can't bend to get cubes then there's something obviously wrong!

All my Tupperware's from the 50's...I long for the vivid chartreuse and fuchsia colored ones of this day and age but will not waste money on something to replace another that works perfectly well. They said I can trade in the old, even Steven but you should have seen the look on hubbies face like "DON'T you dare!" To tell the truth I'd feel like I was raping them trading in my worn ole grey flat colored pieces and walking away with those beauties.

I have LOTS of cast iron but that has been boxed and stored away with an ole time really neat looking green enamel kitchen wood stove.
They're WAY too heavy to lift empty much less filled!
__________________
The successful woman is the woman that had the chance and took it!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:27 AM   #13
Official Plant Nerd
 
Equilibrium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Default

Ok.... I lust for your "ole time really neat looking green enamel kitchen wood stove." Talk about a multi-tasker. Those puppies can really pump out the heat in winter!!!
__________________
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
- Dr. Seuss
Equilibrium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:22 AM   #14
Pope
 
Hedgerowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Virginia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
I know.... we wouldn't want to deprive our lounging linoleum lizards of their "right" to tongue-wash our plates before we put them in the sink. Uh uh.... no could do that with a clean conscience!!!
--
You've forgotten more about cooking and baking then I've ever known so you need to start fessing up to "stupid" things you've bought and what's collecting dust by you!!!
Only about 100 cookbooks; the rest I still use. Other than that, I'm the sort of person who hates to have things collect dust so if it hasn't been used much in the last 5 years it is sent to Goodwill or is sold at a yard sale. As for dust, I do have a mezzaluna that belonged to my great grandmother (that I won't part with) and I could probably divest myself of the blender. The thing is, I can't stand clutter so anything I buy for the kitchen has to be useful for more than one thing or used often. No strawberry hullers, no corn silk strippers, no shrimp deveiners, no bean frenchers, no egg poachers, etc. One exception might be my electric knife sharpener, which I use frequently. The only thing more dangerous in the kitchen than a sharp knife is a dull one!
Hedgerowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:35 AM   #15
Official Plant Nerd
 
Equilibrium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Default

Only 100 cookbooks.... ha ha ha. I dumped mine on Good Will.... I needed the cabinet space. Here's hoping my computer never blows because all my recipes are on it!!! The more I think about dumping all the cookbooks.... the more I think I was having an out of body experience when I did that. I should've saved more than 20 since I'm started to grow more heirloom produce. The mezzaluna shouldn't count as a kitchen gadget. That's more of a piece of family history I'd think. I put mine in a safe place after you told me what it was, What is it???.
__________________
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
- Dr. Seuss
Equilibrium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:34 PM   #16
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient
 
dapjwy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
This is a killer......An egg press. You put the cooked pealed egg into it, give it a few twirls, let it set a while and when released, out comes a square egg. Like I really need that!
No, you don't need that...not with chickens being breed to produce square eggs naturally. Maybe Lib will even start raising some of 'em for you and you can throw that thing away.

It would be cool for a novelty to serve a square egg...but, after that what would you do with the contraption?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
My husband used to hum dueling banjoes under his breath while snickering every time he saw me opening up the window so I could pitch food scraps into the composter but now he's so used to me doing it.... he quit.
Oh my god is that funny! Too bad he stopped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgerowe View Post
Yah know, guys, modern dishwashers use only a couple of gallons of water to wash an entire load of dishes (including Bosch brand). Dish for dish, they use FAR less water than washing dishes by hand. They also use far less hot water, reducing electricity used by the hot water heater (or gas).
Good point...Pope. (Did you get a good look at your new title and avatar yet?)
__________________
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:39 PM   #17
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient
 
dapjwy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
You've forgotten more about cooking and baking then I've ever known...!
Hmmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgerowe View Post
Only about 100 cookbooks; the rest I still use. Other than that, I'm the sort of person who hates to have things collect dust so if it hasn't been used much in the last 5 years it is sent to Goodwill or is sold at a yard sale. As for dust, I do have a mezzaluna that belonged to my great grandmother (that I won't part with) and I could probably divest myself of the blender. The thing is, I can't stand clutter so anything I buy for the kitchen has to be useful for more than one thing or used often. No strawberry hullers, no corn silk strippers, no shrimp deveiners, no bean frenchers, no egg poachers, etc. One exception might be my electric knife sharpener, which I use frequently. The only thing more dangerous in the kitchen than a sharp knife is a dull one!
Someone's been holding out on me! I love baked goods and a good cooked meal! (As you probably could tell from my gut.)

Now, we have pretty few gadgets, but clutter...that is something I'm still trying to cut down on. I'm sure we could learn a thing or two from you, Hedge.
__________________
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:42 PM   #18
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient
 
dapjwy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
Ok.... I lust for your "ole time really neat looking green enamel kitchen wood stove." Talk about a multi-tasker. Those puppies can really pump out the heat in winter!!!
Can you turn off the "heat pump" in the summer time!? Yikes!
__________________
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:43 PM   #19
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient
 
dapjwy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
...our dogs learned how to push the bar and started chewing ice cubes all over the house so we disconnected it.

Now that is FUNNY! I can't believe I forgot to comment on it earlier.
__________________
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:10 PM   #20
Pope
 
Hedgerowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Virginia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
Hmmm....



Someone's been holding out on me! I love baked goods and a good cooked meal! (As you probably could tell from my gut.)

Now, we have pretty few gadgets, but clutter...that is something I'm still trying to cut down on. I'm sure we could learn a thing or two from you, Hedge.
Well, we're only five hours away and you are always welcome here.
Hedgerowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
gadgets, handy, kitchen, kitchen gadgets, kitchen utensils, silly worthless, utensils

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2