Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Miscellaneous Gardening Boards > Tips, Tricks, Techniques, and Experiments

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2020, 08:07 AM   #21
Grub

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
I like the idea that (supposedly) little to no herbicide leaches into the soil.

The success rate sounds great, but is that control or eradication?
Eradication. Look at the link I posted. There are other articles on that site too.
Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 06:53 PM   #22
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Eradication. Look at the link I posted. There are other articles on that site too.
I thought the phrasing was a little vague...I recall the word "control"....which made me think it might control it for a season. Maybe I dudnt read carefully.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 12:21 PM   #23
Grub

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
I thought the phrasing was a little vague...I recall the word "control"....which made me think it might control it for a season. Maybe I dudnt read carefully.
Well, some of the articles are from the company that makes the injection tool, so take it with a grain of salt. The person I heard speak doesn't work for that company and spoke highly of this system. He even gave a recipe for a vinegar solution to use instead of nastier stuff.
Old 08-01-2020, 09:25 PM   #24

Quote:
Well, some of the articles are from the company that makes the injection tool, so take it with a grain of salt. The person I heard speak doesn't work for that company and spoke highly of this system. He even gave a recipe for a vinegar solution to use instead of nastier stuff.
That is awesome!

If you come across the recipe, please share.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 08-02-2020, 01:02 PM   #25
Grub

Ask and you shall receive. Here are my notes from that lecture.

For every gallon of 30% strength horticultural vinegar (https://www.factorydirectchemicals.c...listed-vinegar),
add:
1 cup white flour salt (https://www.webstaurantstore.com/sea...alt-flour.html)
1 oz. dish soap
1 qt citrus oil (AvengerŪ | Organic Weed Killer)

Mow knotweed 3x May-July to weaken. Leave 1 plant unmown as indicator. When it flowers, but no seeds have formed, inject the plants between the 2 lower nodes until full. Use a marker dye.

Repeat yearly for 2+ years.

Okay, so he says 2+ years, which is different from JK Injection's claims. The lecture was by Michael Nadeau who is in Sharon, Ct and is a wholistic land care consultant. Could be interesting to try it. I would love to, although I think the injection tools are out of stock and don't seem to be coming back before Covid issues.
Old 08-03-2020, 08:47 PM   #26

Quote:
Ask and you shall receive. Here are my notes from that lecture.

For every gallon of 30% strength horticultural vinegar (https://www.factorydirectchemicals.c...listed-vinegar),
add:
1 cup white flour salt (https://www.webstaurantstore.com/sea...alt-flour.html)
1 oz. dish soap
1 qt citrus oil (AvengerŪ | Organic Weed Killer)

Mow knotweed 3x May-July to weaken. Leave 1 plant unmown as indicator. When it flowers, but no seeds have formed, inject the plants between the 2 lower nodes until full. Use a marker dye.

Repeat yearly for 2+ years.

Okay, so he says 2+ years, which is different from JK Injection's claims. The lecture was by Michael Nadeau who is in Sharon, Ct and is a wholistic land care consultant. Could be interesting to try it. I would love to, although I think the injection tools are out of stock and don't seem to be coming back before Covid issues.
Thank you for the information.

Too bad it seems like we'll have to wait to order.

Tags
japanese, knotweed, treat

« A Taste of Spring | - »