Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening

Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/wildlife-gardeners.php)
-   Tips, Tricks, Techniques, and Experiments (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/tips-tricks-techniques-experiments/)
-   -   A Taste of Spring (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/tips-tricks-techniques-experiments/13258-taste-spring.html)

dapjwy 02-01-2018 03:57 PM

A Taste of Spring

4 Attachment(s)
Knowing winters can be long, I wanted a taste of spring to brighten my winter days. Mid-December, I brought in some dormant rhizomes of wild geranium, Geranium maculatum, before the ground froze (or after it thawed briefly).

I placed potting soil in a decorative pot (that I made, by the way). After barely burying the rhizomes, I decided to add stones, moss, and twigs with lichens (to add a woodsy feel and mimic the woodland floor).

Yesterday, the first of several flower buds opened. Today there were two. :)
Attachment 45393

Attachment 45394

Attachment 45395

Attachment 45396

Well...since I had to wait about 6 weeks for the blooms, I figure that you all can wait until my second post to see them. :)

dapjwy 02-01-2018 04:01 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Attachment 45397

Attachment 45398

Attachment 45400

Attachment 45399

Attachment 45401

havalotta 02-01-2018 05:23 PM

I can't believe how well those did inside!

dapjwy 02-01-2018 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by havalotta (Post 159907)
I can't believe how well those did inside!

:)

They would look even fuller if the cat didn't get to a few of the leaves.

I hope it continues to do well, so I can put it out in the spring.

Gloria 02-02-2018 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dapjwy (Post 159908)
:)

They would look even fuller if the cat didn't get to a few of the leaves.

I hope it continues to do well, so I can put it out in the spring.

Those flowers look wonderful, what a pick me up on a cold winter day with a storm brewing for the weekend.

dapjwy 02-02-2018 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gloria (Post 159909)
Those flowers look wonderful, what a pick me up on a cold winter day with a storm brewing for the weekend.

~smile~

Thank you, Gloria.

I have a feeling that this my become a winter tradition. :) I would like to try some others--spring beauty and bloodroot come to mind...except both of those go dormant early in the year, so they would be difficult to locate.

dapjwy 02-03-2018 08:43 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Bringing in a piece of rhizome from one of my wild geraniums (and taking close-up pictures of them) has given me a chance to see them more closely than I would normally out in nature.

Having them at eye level helps. I have often thought of planting woodland wildflowers along a path with a bank that slopes down to the trail. This would give passers-by an easy way to view them (and photograph them). I have such a slope here. :)

I first got the idea while walking the trails of Duff Park from my old stomping grounds). I miss visiting that park now that I am on the other side of the state.

Some close-ups...I enjoyed seeing these details and thought others may enjoy them, too.
Attachment 45402

Attachment 45403

Attachment 45404

Attachment 45405

Attachment 45406

linrose 02-04-2018 03:06 PM

Great photos dap! This is especially nice to see in February when everything outside is brown and blah. The only thing I planted are some parsley seeds in a pot but so far not a seedling in sight. I have been trying to overwinter some succulents from last year in the sun room and they are stretching toward the light. Hopefully I can keep them alive until I can put them back out in the spring. The only other seeds I'm sprouting are alfalfa and radish sprouts for eating! Six weeks out from last frost I'll start some basil.

dapjwy 02-05-2018 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by linrose (Post 159914)
Great photos dap! This is especially nice to see in February when everything outside is brown and blah. The only thing I planted are some parsley seeds in a pot but so far not a seedling in sight. I have been trying to overwinter some succulents from last year in the sun room and they are stretching toward the light. Hopefully I can keep them alive until I can put them back out in the spring. The only other seeds I'm sprouting are alfalfa and radish sprouts for eating! Six weeks out from last frost I'll start some basil.

Thank you.

Yes, it is nice to see this small taste of spring.

I'm sure your succulents should make it.

Even radish sprouts and such is a sign of life. Soon you will have a lot growing and ready to put out after your last frost. Your last frost date is *way* earlier than ours (obviously). :)

dapjwy 02-05-2018 09:53 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 45408
Winter outside.

Attachment 45409
Spring inside.