Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Miscellaneous Gardening Boards > Tips, Tricks, Techniques, and Experiments

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2018, 09:57 PM   #21
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjh View Post
Oh my goodness...I cannot even tell you how much I love this idea! Wild geranium is one of my favorites OUTSIDE. To think that I could bring it INSIDE to brighten the dark February days. I am most definitely going to do this next winter. Your photos are beautiful, too. Thanks so much for sharing the idea and the experience.

I have lost a few succulents over the winter. There just isn't enough light in my house for all of them. The ones nearest the brightest windows look great. Houseplants and succulents tend to "follow me home" from the garden center at work every year. They live on the screened porch and the porch roof until fall. Then, I choose my favorites to bring inside and rehome the others (usually a "free to a good home" sign on the curb does the trick). I'm not the best with tropical houseplants any more. I think I get a bit of potted plant burn-out from work and just need a little break in the winter. That's why succulents are my new love. They don't need much attention to stay alive and looking good, as long as they get enough bright light.

I may invest in some simple lighting for a few shelves in one room next winter, to keep the succulents happy.
katjh,

You have no idea how much your post made me smile. I am so glad that you enjoyed it...and that you are likely to try it, too.

I hope you continue to enjoy your new found love of succulents. Also, I am happy to hear that many people take advantage of your "free to a good home" signs.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 03:43 PM   #22
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Katjh: I've been swinging to and buying more of the Tillandsias myself the past couple of years. I used to have over 70 houseplants to tend to (Down to about 20 now) but as they showed signs of pests when I brought them inside from their Summer vacations outdoors I just got rid of them instead of the spraying and the killing of whatever finds them outdoors....Mites, white fly, thrips, cottony white whatever they're called. Been there done that way to many times to keep them in the family but do not want to be doing the pesticide thing a-ny-more!

I've NEVER had anything take over any of my Tillandsias. They're virtually pest free! They've colorful foliage and blossoms and even bear pups every now and then. Some are tucked into driftwood, some reside on sponges, some just hang. I love them.

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C....0.TgEC-r1LQW4

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 10:09 PM   #23
Hippie Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Katjh: I've been swinging to and buying more of the Tillandsias myself the past couple of years. I used to have over 70 houseplants to tend to (Down to about 20 now) but as they showed signs of pests when I brought them inside from their Summer vacations outdoors I just got rid of them instead of the spraying and the killing of whatever finds them outdoors....Mites, white fly, thrips, cottony white whatever they're called. Been there done that way to many times to keep them in the family but do not want to be doing the pesticide thing a-ny-more!

I've NEVER had anything take over any of my Tillandsias. They're virtually pest free! They've colorful foliage and blossoms and even bear pups every now and then. Some are tucked into driftwood, some reside on sponges, some just hang. I love them.

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C....0.TgEC-r1LQW4
I'm with you, Hava, NO pesticides for the houseplants. They either sink or swim on their own. If they get pests, they get tossed (not even on the curb - right in the compost pile). I must say, I haven't had an issue in years, but most of my tropicals spend the summer on our screened porch, not really outside. The cacti and succulents go on the roof. Maybe the critters just don't like those.

I love the look of Tillandsias! I don't have any. Yet. But I've looked at them many times. Maybe because we don't sell them at the store where I work. Many of my houseplants follow me home from work.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:10 PM   #24
Hippie Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
katjh,

You have no idea how much your post made me smile. I am so glad that you enjoyed it...and that you are likely to try it, too.

I hope you continue to enjoy your new found love of succulents. Also, I am happy to hear that many people take advantage of your "free to a good home" signs.
We have a whole new line of succulents coming to our garden center this year: Mangave! They are a cross between Agave and Manfreda. I can't wait to try them out.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:20 AM   #25

I really like those but got rid of mine when I nearly lost an eye bending over to pick something up off the floor where one set. They are very rigid and do not bend. They definitely jab so out it went

Old 02-20-2018, 11:27 AM   #26

I bought three Tillandsias at a reptile show held in Kalamazoo this weekend. Quite the trip for us but it was a nice little outing spending time with family on that side of Michigan. One booth sold live plants for terrariums and critter set ups. I so wanted a huge ponytail palm but didn't want to be hauling that in and out of motels so passed. The tillandsias they fit into a couple plastic cups stuffed into my camera case. The guy I used to buy from here passed away so had lots of fun looking and choosing among their variety.

Old 02-20-2018, 01:06 PM   #27
Hippie Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
I really like those but got rid of mine when I nearly lost an eye bending over to pick something up off the floor where one set. They are very rigid and do not bend. They definitely jab so out it went
I also got rid of an Agave that nearly put my eye out a few years ago. This new Mangave is supposed to have less spikey spikes. We shall see. We get our first delivery in late April.
Old 02-20-2018, 05:57 PM   #28

You too ha! Well keep us posted if you remember.

Tags
spring, taste