Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Miscellaneous Gardening Boards > Tips, Tricks, Techniques, and Experiments

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2014, 09:26 PM   #1
Heron

Default F.lux

I wanted to share this program that helps to reduce color temperature on the monitor at night so it is less blue light and more warmer yellow/orange light. Blue light is known to keep us awake, so this helps to keep your natural cycles when using the computer at night.

Quote:
Ever notice how people texting at night have that eerie blue glow? Or wake up ready to write down the Next Great Idea, and get blinded by your computer screen?
During the day, computer screens look good—they're designed to look like the sun. But, at 9PM, 10PM, or 3AM, you probably shouldn't be looking at the sun.

f.lux fixes this: it makes the color of your computer's display adapt to the time of day, warm at night and like sunlight during the day.
It's even possible that you're staying up too late because of your computer. You could use f.lux because it makes you sleep better, or you could just use it just because it makes your computer look better.
https://justgetflux.com/

For the phone:

Lux for Android (paid I think, but has a "Lite" version that works for me). This just changes brightness of the phone depending on where you are.
rockerBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 04:16 PM   #2
WG's Mr. Tomato Head

Good find
"If gardening isn't a pleasure for you, chances are the work will merely give you a rotten disposition. If you'd rather be golfing or fishing, get a bumper sticker that says so, and forget gardening."
Elsa Bakalar
WG Admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 01:06 PM   #3
Salamander

I think this is a good idea, and checked it out, but I had problems with the privacy policy. I am sure somehow down the line our internet use is kept even though Google (and other major companies') cookies are blocked and we limit their script usage. I have to allow that ajax. script even for this site otherwise I get a silly error message that says I typed less than three characters. I might have just wrote War and Peace, but if that script is disabled, I lose it all.

Now if there was a program that was just on our hard drive that does not require being connected, I would go for it.
Birding Bunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:02 AM   #4
Heron

Yeah f.lux uses google maps to figure out when the sun will rise and set. They also seem to pass anonymous location data to their partners. There is no user data associated so the related information to you would be minimal to none.

Will keep an eye out for other options. I think because of the changing sunset/sunrise data, it will be hard to store it for every location on the hard drive. Maybe there is some math model that can be applied to latitude/longitude that wont require storing data.

For privacy in browsers, I have found this combo to be pretty good. Ghostery allows a lot of control over scripts from analytics services and other tracking. Noscript may be overkill with Ghostery, but helps with random browsing. Self-destructing cookies helps to keep cookies working but removes them when the page is closed. This way tracking is messed up with any that try to track your movements.

Ghostery (Browser addon) https://www.ghostery.com/en/
No-script (Firefox Addon) NoScript - JavaScript/Java/Flash blocker for a safer Firefox experience! - what is it? - InformAction
Self Destructing Cookies (Firefox Addon) https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...okies/?src=api
rockerBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 03:44 PM   #5
Salamander

Thank you for those links. I'll have my husband look into them. He's the one who updates the computer. I like the Self Destructing cookies, sounds like a great idea.
Birding Bunch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flux