Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Forum Feedback > Tips For New Members

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2014, 05:49 PM   #1
Carbon

bumblebee Insect Hotel placement in Florida

Hi - not sure if this is the right place for this - so far my only posts have been in the introduce yourself area - so if this is wrong - sorry!
Anyway, I live on the Gulf Coast about 45 minutes north of Tampa, and want to set up an insect hotel to encourage native pollinators. My region is overgrown with yellow jessamine - toxic to honeybees, and while I am cleaning it up on my own property I can't do much about the surrounding area, so my planned honeybee hive is now out of the question. Where is the best place to position an insect hotel - in primarily shade, part shade or sun??? Any help will be appreciated!!!
slywlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:46 PM   #2
Fox

Early morning sun is great, it gives them an early start by warming up their nesting area, but after that shade would be best. The hot noon time and afternoon sun can overheat the nesting area which could harm the eggs, larvae or pupa.
I will age, but I refuse to get old.
NEWisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:10 PM   #3
Carbon

sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWisc View Post
Early morning sun is great, it gives them an early start by warming up their nesting area, but after that shade would be best. The hot noon time and afternoon sun can overheat the nesting area which could harm the eggs, larvae or pupa.
Thank you - that is exactly the info I needed
I have begun collecting suitable 'ingredients' and now I can begin assembly, as I believe I know just the spot
So much lovely wildlife here! Lots of 'skitters' - my name for the little Anole lizards - a resident gopher tortoise we call Herbert (no idea of its actual gender of course) and a large black racer snake who spends the heat of the day under my house - we call it our mascot and are grateful to have it there keeping pesky critters under control. There is also a pair of Carolina wrens who appear to be nesting under the house - I hope that the snake will not be a safety issue for them - who visit my porch and sometimes venture right into the house is we have the doors open, as we often do. Cheeky little things - not at all shy, despite what Cornell Lab says - so cute, busy, and what voices!!!
I love sharing my new home!!!
slywlf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, hotel, insect, placement