Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Threatened & Endangered Species

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2012, 07:57 AM   #1
Salamander

Default To save a species/those who live in MN.

I heard White turtle head and Spreading Jaccobs ladder are both threatened or endangered in MN. If you want to help save them Go to the friends school plant sale by the MN state fair grounds or mother earth gardens and get glacial ridge (only nurshery propergated not wild collected) white turtle head or spreading jaccobs ladder

Both have seeded in my gardens.
GonativeAlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:22 PM   #2
Official Plant Nerd

There are 4 species of turtlehead. 1 is indigenous to MN, Chelone glabra, PLANTS Profile for Chelone (turtlehead) | USDA PLANTS. You can always go to the USDA Plants Database to check out what's up if you look up the scientific name of a plant 1st.... which can be really hard sometimes because most plants have several common names. The spreading Jacob's ladder has quite a few common names, Polemonium reptans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. No matter how many different common names a plant has and no matter how many other plants it shares a common name with.... it will always only have 1 scientific name. Here's the entry for Polemonium reptans at the USDA Plants Database, PLANTS Profile for Polemonium reptans var. reptans (Greek valerian) | USDA PLANTS and here's the entry for Chelone glabra, PLANTS Profile for Chelone glabra (white turtlehead) | USDA PLANTS. Go to each listing and scroll waaaaaaay down and you'll find an area where their status is noted. It takes a while getting used to the USDA Plants Database and it takes even longer learning how to find a plant's scientific name but once you get it down pat.... you'll have a much easier time finding info that'll help you decide what to plant in your yard.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:05 AM   #3
Salamander

That is good to know I was told that the pink turtle head is a native by my aunt who have me some from her garden. I'll get more white turtle head at the sale this year.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:24 AM   #4
Heron

Thank you for this information! I live in MN. Does Prairie Moon offer either of these? I live too far from the cities to make it to the plant sale. But I would love to add these species to my garden.

Just checked prairiemoon and they also offer these plants.
BeeWonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 12:12 AM   #5
Official Plant Nerd

I dunno if Praire Moon offers seed for em or not.... I got my C. glabra from the Chicago Botanic Gardens and I'm pretty sure my P. reptans came from IonExchange. This winter was pretty mild.... I know I've got stalks still standing from my C. glabra that probably have seed in them that wasn't dispersed. If you send me a private message with your mailing address.... I can send you White Turtlehead seed. The P. reptans pretty much dies back and there'd be no chance of me finding any seed of that but I've got the plants.... I can probably get seed later on this year. BTW.... neither C. glabra or P. reptans are listed at the USDA's site as threatened or endangered in MN. Doesn't mean they're not great plants to add though!!!
Old 03-31-2012, 08:24 AM   #6
Salamander

I read that they are and to top it off I've only seen them in the wild a handful of times if even that. Further evidence to back up my claims- I live in the inner city however where you could call all natives endangered species thanks to the dandlions, buck thorn, gout weed and creeping bell flower.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:50 PM   #7
Official Plant Nerd

BeeWonderful> you're good to go!!! The plants had some capsules that weren't dispersed!!! Have fun and let me know when you get the seed. It should go out Friday.... my next day off but maybe earlier if I can swing by a PO when they're open!!! You'll LOVE the Chelone!!!

Tags
live, native plants, plants, save, species, species or those, threatened, threatened species