Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Threatened & Endangered Species

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2014, 11:04 AM   #31
Alternate POM Judge

I'm glad she is going to cover the opening so they can't get in. I am seeing a few bats every night now. I just love watching them. I think they are so cute.
Old 08-07-2014, 07:17 PM   #32
Mentor

How cool is this? Vampire Bat Cam
midwesternerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:02 PM   #33
Alternate POM Judge

that is very cool midwesternerr. I saved that on my computer so I can look at it again. I will share it with a friend who likes bats and vampires. She will love it.
thanks midwestern
Old 08-08-2014, 12:56 PM   #34
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesternerr View Post
How cool is this? Vampire Bat Cam
While I'm waiting for the cam to load, I had to come back to say how cool the photo at the top of the page with the title.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 12:58 PM   #35

I finally saw a lone bat here around dusk the other day. I know I've seen a couple in the past. I should get out more often around that time of day.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 08-08-2014, 01:08 PM   #36

Default Creating Natural Bat Habitat

I just found this link while searching for ideas of how to create bat habitat in my huge standing snag:

http://www.conservewildlifenj.org/downloads/cwnj_93.pdf

I've wanted to do this since we had the tree taken down (well, down to about 15 feet or so--and left it standing for wildlife (and wildlife viewing up close from the house).

I've yet to read through the link, but it looks promising.
Old 08-08-2014, 01:57 PM   #37
Alternate POM Judge

I can only get the cam to work sometimes
Old 08-08-2014, 10:21 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenW View Post
I can only get the cam to work sometimes
Same here. I noticed it wasn't working, so I hit pause, and it came right on. Maybe you could try that (not that I am even sure it had anything to do with it).
Old 08-10-2014, 04:38 PM   #39
Alternate POM Judge

Visited a friend's farm last night. Sat outside and drank a beer and watched bats. It was a beautiful night. Almost a full moon. I think that's tonight. We saw a few bats. They are just so darn cute. We went into her barn turned on the lights so she could show me a barn swallow nest. The light attracted bugs which attracted a bat that flew in and out of the barn. Really had fun. I'm so thankful that I enjoy nature.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:15 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenW View Post
Visited a friend's farm last night. Sat outside and drank a beer and watched bats. It was a beautiful night. Almost a full moon. I think that's tonight. We saw a few bats. They are just so darn cute. We went into her barn turned on the lights so she could show me a barn swallow nest. The light attracted bugs which attracted a bat that flew in and out of the barn. Really had fun. I'm so thankful that I enjoy nature.
~smile~. Yes, isn't it great to derive so much pleasure from observing nature.

Sounds cool.

I've yet to mention it, but I finally have barn swallows here! Not nesting, but in all of the time we've lived here, I've wanted barn swallows. I even put up some small "shelves" under the eaves of the barn hoping that I'd attract them to nest.

Last week or two weeks ago, maybe, the wildlife biologist from the WHIP program came to help assess the property...while here, he said he spotted a barn swallow. I looked where he indicated (the flood plain below our property), but told hi that his eyes were better than mine. About a week later, I spotted almost half a dozen of them swooping and circling our yard between the pond and the house. I was thrilled!

I took some video of them since I doubted I'd catch a picture of them in midair.

Today, I saw two flying around the same spot...along with dragonflies...at a much lower altitude--these I saw flitting and swooping a year or two ago. They are back again hunting on the wing.

Hmm...I think you are right, I'm thankful that I enjoy nature so much as well.

I can't wait until I have the whole 2 acres as habitat...and I can't wait to see what encounters that will bring.

Tags
bats