Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Threatened & Endangered Species

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2014, 09:54 AM   #21
Salamander

While we were at a nature area, one of the children saw a couple this spring. My, I wish my eyes were better. He finally finished a bat house. I'd like it closer to the house, but my husband wants it on the big building waay out there. Maybe it can be put on the south side of a big tree? Would that be suitable?

Oh, I was quite disgusted to see a sign in a small town saying they were spraying for mosquitoes last night. Even when I lived in Omaha, they never sprayed for those that I am aware of, not on a mass scale like that. I am sure homeowners did, but not the city.

Last edited by Birding Bunch; 07-24-2014 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Adding a tidbit.
Birding Bunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 12:20 PM   #22
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

We've a few circling around the pond at dusk. I suppose they're eating whatever hatches along it's edge.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 06:03 PM   #23
Alternate POM Judge

Glad your children saw some bats BB. I read that the best location for bat houses is a southeast location. Mine will probably be on the south side of a farm bldg since that is the closet to southeast I have. That's great that you are putting up a bat house.
Glad you have seen bats too havalotta.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:07 PM   #24
Alternate POM Judge

They spray for mosquitos in this area BB. I believe it is very bad for our health. Much better to encourage wildlife to eat the mosquitoes and their larva.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:44 PM   #25

I like bats.
bats-p1100815.jpg
When we purchased our camp this Winter we found one hanging in the basement. I left it be. Next time I stopped in it wasn't where it was but I found it AND another tiny one tucked under it's wing. How CUTE! Next time I went, I learned the work crew shushed them out. Poor things. I'm sure they must have froze once outdoors like that all on their own.

Old 07-25-2014, 03:59 PM   #26
Alternate POM Judge

What a cute picture hava. I hope the bats found a warm place to stay outside.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:52 PM   #27
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

I am seeing bats flying here. Probably Eastern red bats, which are tree dwelling bats.

A word of caution. I like bats, too. However, if you have any direct contact with a bat, wildlife control gets all upset and next thing you know they are recommending rabies shots. $3000 later, my daughter is now immune to rabies after picking up the dead bats the cat dragged in. Overkill on a low risk, but as my daughter put it to me, the down side was that she died if she didn't do it and we lost the bet. Enjoy them out in nature but do not handle them.

As an aside, I am far more worried about raccoons giving us rabies, given every year they find multiple rabid raccoons in this county, often not very far from us. However, bats apparently can minimally bite you without you knowing it, kind of accidently scrape you in passing as it were, and even a tiny bit of saliva into an open wound can transmit the disease. If you find a bat in your house in the morning, that is considered a risk because it could have exposed you in the night without your knowledge.

The reason we obsess about such obscure risks in this country is because we vaccinate our pets. In the rest of the world, rabid feral dogs account for tens of thousands of human deaths every year. All for the lack of a cheap vaccine. Penny wise and pound foolish.

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 03:53 PM   #28
Mentor

I have taken rabies vaccine because I was handling bats at one point and it was required to have it. The vaccine actually was not terribly expensive and surprisingly my insurance helped. Even though my vaccination is out of date, it means I'll not need immunogobulin injections if there is ever a question of exposure in the next 20 years. Finding IMG overseas can be a pain and it's very expensive here in the States, versus vaccine itself which is more available and less expensive. If you plan to handle bats, I would go a head and get it even if you're careful with gloves. Turttle, I'm with you, I would get it if there were ever a question given the insignificance (other than financial) of treatment versus the seriousness of the disease even though it's incredibly unlikely.
midwesternerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 05:06 PM   #29
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

It was the immunoglobulin that was super expensive, not the actual vaccine. And it had to be given in an emergency room, which was absurd on many levels and greatly added to the cost.

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:45 AM   #30

My sister heard a stirring in her stove pipes one eve this weekend, opened up the wood stove and out jumped a bat, crawled on it's wings (Modified hands) HOW CUTE! and up onto the couch. She captured it and let it free. The next day there was another stirring in the stovepipe but she decided to let it there until dark to capture and let it go but upon opening the lower box, found it dead. Apparently they got in and couldn't make their way back up the pipe once they dropped into the box. The second one was probably in there a lot longer than the first and just ran out of life. She'll be adding a wired cover or something over the top of the smokestack.

Tags
bats