Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Threatened & Endangered Species

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2013, 03:37 PM   #11
Alternate POM Judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
I do, but in limited numbers. I have a neighbor who used to raise goats for milk but no longer does. He still leaves the barn door open, however, so the barn swallows still have habitat here. When they fly, however, it is usually ten or fifteen birds. The tree swallows here fly in the hundreds.
I'm happy to hear your neighbor helps the barn swallows. Unfortunately around here people try to keep them out of their bldgs. I kept my horse at a barn that had a barn swallow nest right above where we groomed our horses. None of us minded if we had to clean up after the adult bird flying in and out to feed the babies.

Hundreds of tree swallows,....that's awesome
EllenW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:53 PM   #12
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

I've had tree swallows nest here in some of our nest boxes.

I'd love to have barn swallows, but so far no luck. Then again, I don't leave the barn/garage open...I was hoping they'd nest under the eaves where I put shelves. There are no barn swallows around here apparently; the neighbor has an open barn, so I'd expect them to nest there first. Maybe some day.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:43 PM   #13
Alternate POM Judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
I've had tree swallows nest here in some of our nest boxes.

I'd love to have barn swallows, but so far no luck. Then again, I don't leave the barn/garage open...I was hoping they'd nest under the eaves where I put shelves. There are no barn swallows around here apparently; the neighbor has an open barn, so I'd expect them to nest there first. Maybe some day.
Did anything nest on your shelves?
Old 08-27-2013, 09:39 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellenwright View Post
Did anything nest on your shelves?
Unfortunately, no.

I think I have to put them even closer, so there is less space between them and the bottom of the eaves.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 08-27-2013, 09:49 PM   #15
Alternate POM Judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
Unfortunately, no.

I think I have to put them even closer, so there is less space between them and the bottom of the eaves.
I think robins like to nest like that on a shelf.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:10 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellenwright View Post
I think robins like to nest like that on a shelf.
I'd take robins...but I put them up with phoebes and barn swallows in mind.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:56 PM   #17
Alternate POM Judge

Is anyone seeing bats this summer? I have only seen 2 possible sightings. I look every night. My friend who lives nearby says she has seen a few. I bought a bat house to put up.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:13 PM   #18
Mentor

Not many bats around my house either. A small number seem to roost in a barn next door, my shed would seem ideal for them but I'm not sure if any are in the walls (there are several open crevices that go into insides of the walls they could use.
midwesternerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:06 PM   #19
Alternate POM Judge

Thank you for your post midwesternerr. I was at a party the other evening nearby. I was happy to see bats there. It is an old farm with lots of outside buildings. I think the bats must be nesting in the old trees or old buildings. There was another person at the party who also lives near me. She lives on an old farm also. She said that she has bats. I really enjoy watching them. I hope their numbers recover.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:15 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenW View Post
Is anyone seeing bats this summer? I have only seen 2 possible sightings. I look every night. My friend who lives nearby says she has seen a few. I bought a bat house to put up.
While we were in Gettysburg, before visiting you, they had a campfire one night, and I saw a lot of swallows...and at least one or two bats (most people thought they were all bats, but I tried to point out which were which).

I've not seen them around here (but I have in the past)...I suspect it is because I've not been looking. I have to start going out around dusk more.

Tags
bats