Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Threatened & Endangered Species

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2012, 09:26 PM   #31
Salamander

I like bumblebees.... I wish more people felt the way we do. The reason bumbles are declineing is because people either spray for them or they don't plant natives. In my area there's a lot of native plantings but most of it is owned by the city or science musium. Few people/landowners buy natives and fewer still want bees. I think the Science musium could help to change that I think when I do my flower sale I'll enlist the help of our the science musium to see if they will hand out papers/ with my adress, phone number over winter, about my sale to people- If Gabe approves.

On the sadder side bees do have a drawback they sting. I'm not allergic to bee stings/venom ( I HATE being stung though). but one of our staff is and she likes to garden. I hope all goes well in that department.
GonativeAlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:17 PM   #32
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrose View Post
Since my prairie bed is mostly yellow...A few brave liatris and echinaceas provide a bit of pink and purple against all that yellow.
That sounds like a great little punch of color to spice up your sea of yellow.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:27 PM   #33
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeWonderful View Post
Planting flowers for bumblebees is almost like buying a birthday gift for someone. I feel so much anticipation before the plant flowers (hoping they'll like it), and so much satisfaction when the bees find the flowers and visit them often!
What a cool analogy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonativeAlex View Post
...In my area there's a lot of native plantings but most of it is owned by the city or science musium. Few people/landowners buy natives and fewer still want bees...

On the sadder side bees do have a drawback they sting. I'm not allergic to bee stings/venom ( I HATE being stung though). but one of our staff is and she likes to garden. I hope all goes well in that department.
I'm glad there are a lot of native plantings done by the museum...that should help draw in more critters that should make their way to your native plantings...maybe even a hummingbird some day.

Yes, bees can sting...and I remember being stung much more often when I was a kid. Maybe I was a careless kid, not sure...but as an adult I haven't been stung in years (I can't even remember that last time)...and I hang out taking pictures of bees and even wasps.

Bumblebees have always struck me as docile and not likely to sting.

I think you are right, education will help people appreciate bees more and fear them less.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
attract, attract bees, attract bumblebees, bee, bees, bumble, bumble bee, bumblebees, endangered, flowers, native plants, plants, pollinators, saving, threatened, xerces society