Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > Sustainability

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2012, 02:09 PM   #1
WG Staff

Default German village generates 321 percent more renewable energy than it needs, earns millions

German village generates 321 percent more renewable energy than it needs, earns millions selling it back to national power grid
Natural News
Monday, December 19, 2011 by: Ethan A. Huff, staff writer

German village generates 321 percent more renewable energy than it needs, earns millions selling it back to national power grid Excerpt from above:
Quote:
Developing a renewable energy system that creates energy independence and even a considerable new source of revenue is not some sort of sci-fi pipe dream. BioCycle reports that the German village of Wildpoldsried, population 2,600, has had such incredible success in building its renewable energy system. Wildpoldsried generates 321 percent more renewable energy than it uses, and it now sells the excess back to the national power grid for roughly $5.7 million in additional revenue every single year.

By utilizing a unique combination of solar panels, "biogas" generators, natural wastewater treatment plants, and wind turbines, Wildpoldsried has effectively eliminated its need to be attached to a centralized power grid, and created a thriving renewable energy sector in the town that is self-sustaining and abundantly beneficial for the local economy, the environment, and the public…
Old 01-20-2012, 11:10 PM   #2
WG Facilitator

That's incredible.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:12 PM   #3
Official Plant Nerd

Ummm…. hold that thought…. on the surface it looked really good to me but… looks can be deceiving and the devil’s evidently in the “details” on this. I’m in the middle of taking a “green” building course. I wanted to get a better feel for what’s out there and the instructor actually spent an entire class on that “poster child” Bavarian green village before winter break. Wildpoldsried isn’t exactly sustainable for the long haul. Ironically, they’ll only be able to keep generating profits for as long as the companies they form can continue tapping into European Union grants, Bavarian grants, German National grants, tax credits, and subsidies. They’ll need a new feed-in contract too. I think the 1 they’ve got expires in like 10 years. Man oh man…. I need to go over my notes on this before I post any more.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:01 PM   #4
Official Plant Nerd

Another thread I was looking for!!!
--
This is a classic example of how 1 community's subsidy became the tax burden of an entire country and then some. This community's energy isn’t renewable and it isn't sustainable for the long haul. This “poster child” green village can only keep generating "free" energy for its residents and community “profits” for as long as they can keep tapping into the government and Eastern European freebies and the Germans footing the bills for all this are outraged that they're stuck with the Wildpoldsried community's bills, http://www.instituteforenergyresearch.org/germany/Germany_Study_-_FINAL.pdf.
--
It did look really good on the surface. Problem is the Wildpoldsried residents forming the companies purchasing their windmills tapped into outside funding sources almost exclusively except for their initial individual start up contribution of 5,000 € per family. That’s how they managed to stay out of the red with each family raking in a 321% return on their "contribution" for going green. The total purchase of the windmills at around US 3.5M each was ABSORBED by their government, the European Union, and national programming. Suchadeal!!! No wonder why all the other German communities want government paid for windmills so they don't have to pay for electric anymore! I want in on a deal like that too!!!! Supposedly Wildpoldsried residents are forming another corporation that's going to "buy" 2 more 2MW wind mills using outside funds available because of all the national and international acclaim they’ve received for becoming "energy independent". The hand outs they received and continue to receive for their "independent" energy aren’t backed out of their profits. Costs for maintaining their “green” energy systems aren't being backed out either. A major portion of their “natural” village wastewater treatment plants utilizes (gag me) wetlands. They’ve got 4 Biogas plants they received grants to construct and operate…. the same with their "free" centralized heating for all residents and the network to distribute the heat to each home. New homes are required to be passive in order to reduce energy consumption and those building them receive rebates on the purchase of building materials and labor…. same for homes being remodeled. Need new hi-energy efficient windows…. no problem…. there’s a grant and a rebate to cover the homeowner’s portion of upgrades to energy efficient products including toilets and better insulation.
--
There's a limited lifespan to their wind and sooner or later somebody's gonna either have to pay to upgrade and replace their power generation sources or.... pay to reconnect them to the grid. None of the ecological damage from the construction of their hydro-electric dams is ever mentioned and neither is the "sweet" deal the community got per kilowatt hour for selling back their "excess" electricity to the grid. This poster child "green" village sickens me.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:20 PM   #5
WG Staff

Default Why Taxpayer Subsidies of Solar Are Diabolical

Why Taxpayer Subsidies of Solar Are Diabolical
Carpe Diem
Wednesday, August 08, 2012
by Mark J. Perry

CARPE DIEM: Why Taxpayer Subsidies of Solar Are Diabolical
excerpt from above:
Quote:
Here is the real problem: Subsidies make solar appear viable today, so where is the motivation for an entrepreneur to risk money, or even focus on developing real energy alternatives when solar is “almost” there? How can an inventor justify striving with the effort it takes to really develop something great when he is competing against a straw man technology which can provide power at almost the same cost of traditional power sources today? But of course it really doesn’t...
Old 08-24-2012, 10:31 AM   #6
Official Plant Nerd

Speaking of developers.... There’s talk of new and improved transparent solar cells out there. Now this looks way cool…. if it’s the real deal and ends up being affordable to the average home owner which could become a reality if…. the “developers” at the universities using our tax dollars to fund their research aren't allowed to apply for a patent in their names like the jellyfish dude did, Artificial Jellyfish!…. 'How your windows could be the future of electricity: Scientists create transparent solar panels out of 'glass-like' plastic', Scientists create transparent solar panels out of 'glass-like' plastic | Mail Online and around the same time…. 'Highly Transparent Polymer Solar Cell Produces Energy by Absorbing Near-Infrared Light', http://scitechdaily.com/highly-transparent-polymer-solar-cell-produces-energy-by-absorbing-near-infrared-light/. I remembered reading about a company that tried something similar a coupla years ago and they seem to have done a dive bomb, 'The good, the bad and the ugly: Translucent solar panels', The good, the bad and the ugly: Translucent solar panels | Ecofriend. I wonder if any of the problems Konarka had back in ’09 were dealt with or if this new and improved technology is just being repackaged and in reality it’s equally as expensive and inefficient as the original technology, ‘Konarka Power Plastic Solar Cell Certified at 9% Efficiency', Konarka Power Plastic Solar Cell Certified at 9% Efficiency - Solar Novus Today.

Tags
321, earns, energy, generates, german, millions, percent, renewable, village