Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > Sustainability

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2011, 01:43 PM   #1
Official Plant Nerd

Default Storage woes….

I buy canned artichokes, crab meat, and shrimp around the holidays but don’t keep any of those on hand so there’s no need for extras of those beyond the end of December. On the other hand…. I’ve usually got at least 6-10 cans each of Campbell’s cream of celery, Campbell’s cream of mushroom, Campbell’s tomato, mushroom stems and pieces, pineapple bits, mandarin oranges, refried beans, and tunafish. I use those regularly. I didn’t realize I had so many cans on hand until I took a good look inside my kitchen cabinets. I’d like to start buying more of what we use regularly when they’re on sale since I’m watching prices going up on them almost every time I go shopping. Ideally….. it’d be nice to have about 20-24 each of the Campbell’s soups and 10-12 each of the rest but…. I don’t have any place to put them. How do I store them>>>? I mean…. I can’t load up the shelves in my cabinets or they’ll start bowing and stashing extras in the garage is out because they’d probably rust out there. That leaves the basement but with all the canning jars I bought that I’ve been using for dehydrating my fruit…. I’m out of shelf space. I’ve found some ideas online but…. they look pretty involved, Canned food rotaion racks and Canned food storage rack - AR15.COM. I REALLY like the ideas I’m seeing… too bad they’re not for sale… they’re all DIY. I’d give an I tooth for just 1 of them for my cans because they rotate automatically by design… it’s just that I barely know how to use a hammer and screw driver and their projects look above what I know how to do. Rotation’s been a big pain for me because every time I buy say…. 4 cans of tomato soup…. I’ve got to physically move all the other cans to the front so I can make space to put the new cans behind them. That means taking everything off the shelf and putting it back every time I go shopping. I found a cheap shelving unit at Home Dumpo that if I bought 2 of I’d have plenty of space to store cans on 1 and jars of canned chicken and rabbit meat on the other. 2 would be big enough to store everything I want to buy and pressure can but… the unit looks too cheap flimsy. I can stack cans. Everything I’ve read says we shouldn’t stack mason jars.
--
The cans of Campbell's soup weigh about ¾ lb each. My jars of chicken and rabbit meat weigh about 2.5 lbs each. The cans of pineapple and mandarin oranges weight about 1.5 lbs each. That’s gonna be a lot of weight considering next year I’m planning on buying 25 broiler chicks that will all be going to “freezer camp” and I want to start buying extras of the canned goods we use regularly and that’s not even taking into consideration I’ll probably have another 50 jars of dehydrated fruits next year…. those don’t weigh a lot and I just put those back on the shelf once I fill em.I found a cheap shelving unit at Home Dumpo that if I bought 2 of I’d have plenty of space to store cans on 1 and jars of canned chicken and rabbit meat on the other, Home Depot - Hom-E-Quip 60 in. Height x 30 in. Width x 12 in. Depth Gray Steel Canning Shelving customer reviews - product reviews - read top consumer ratings. 2 would be big enough space for me to store everything I want to buy and pressure can but… the unit looks too cheap and flimsy. I can stack cans. Everything I’ve read says we shouldn’t stack mason jars.
--
Here’s a site I found that showed 2 really good ways to store jars, How to Store Canning Jars. I’m sure we’re fresh out of mail-room wall units I could pick up for cheap and I don’t have any wall joists down in the basement I could use as a frame for building jar shelves. I'm sorta at a loss.
--
I’ll take any ideas or photos anyone’s got of how they're storing jars and cans. By this time next year I should have another 24 quarts of canned chicken and hopefully another 8 quarts of rabbit meat and I’d really like to start buying more cans of the products we use regularly when they go on sale.
Old 12-27-2011, 03:00 PM   #2
Heron

If you can steal some space from DH I'd suggest Metro Racks with metal shelfs that adjust. Nice thing is they're infinitely adjustable. The legs have little circles that 2 plastic clips snap into and after reading the instruction a bus-boy can put them together....That's what most restaurants use not only for convenience but it's probably code in eatery's they are NSF certified. With enough racks you don't have to stack cans...Maybe that's code too because I can't recall cans all stacked up. Most restaurants stack big cans and jars near the legs and the center is used for napkins and lighter weight supplies. You will have bowing on the 2ft by 6ft if you overload it and that pretty makes it impossible to adjust the shelves further. I have a 2ftx2ft metro rack that I store paint cans on and access is easy from three sides. The poles also have adjustable feet so if the floor pitches your rack stays level. Easy to clean too, If you don't like foodstuffs near the floor you can set your first shelf up a couple of feet and store bigger items, It will still be sturdy. I'd steer away from plastic just for that reason; they always need that bottom shelf for stability. Wood? hard to clean for one and attached to the wall blocks off rotation...Hint; snoop into the restaurant and see how they have theirs arranged. Just google "metro rack" and you'll get the rest of the story..Oh I know you do this but for those who don't....Keep a crayon or magic marker and mark the month/year on the can/jar before you start doing something else.
Third year they leap; So plant some today
sprucetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 03:18 PM   #3
Heron

Thanks alot EQ now I have another project on the list! Really like those rotating can racks in your first link
recurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 11:00 AM   #4
Official Plant Nerd

sprucetree> space is for sure is hard to come by around here with so many car parts everywhere. I've started organizing his parts but he doesn't like the way I do it so he runs around undoing everything I do leaving parts strewn everywhere. There are days I want to scream over all the car parts laying around and stashed but.... he said I could have all the space to the left of our freezer downstairs and that he wouldn't put any parts over there so I'm good to go. 1 problem... I looked up the price of these metro racks and I'm really liking the design of em but... no way can I afford to drop that kinda money, Metro 48"L x 60"H Dispensing Rack 4 Slanted Shelves DC55EC | Utility Racks - Wasserstrom Restaurant Supply and Shelvings, Shelf, Steel Products Philippines: Metro Structural and Industrial Steelworks. Paleeeease tell me I found the wrong metro racks online and that there's something out there I can buy just 1 of that's around $100. I don't have that much to store and I'd think 1 rack would suffice but OMG.... the pricing on these metros is outrageously high. If restaurants have to use these.... how the heck can they afford to start up at $450 a pop without even adding in the costs of delivery?
--
recurve> ha ha ha!!! Misery loves company.... I just got another project added to my list, Chain Link Fence Gate Compost Sifter!!! I think I can do the leaf composting set up for around $100 if I can pick up a chain link fence gate on the cheap. I don't think your pocket book is gonna get off so easy what with the cost of lumber these days. Really glad you liked it though. I did too. I just don't think I've got the tools or the know how to pull off building a rotating can rack. You build it and post some photos so I can drool!!!
Old 12-29-2011, 01:23 PM   #5
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

I know what you mean about rotation and digging the cans out over and over again but If I was to create a stash as large as what you're intending upon doing I'd invest in some of the beverage dispensers...They have a built in gravitational slant that allows the next can to slide into position when one is removed. I have a single version in the fridge that works great! This one seems pretty sturdy AND it's double the capacity! I suppose its Stack-ability would depend upon its welding. Neu Home 24-Can Dispenser - Chrome****|****Meijer.com

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:30 PM   #6

Here's a cheapo (About $32.00) but I can't see it being stack able. http://www.kaboodle.com/reviews/roll-down-can-rack-3

Do you have any room under your beds for storage?
This model seems reasonably priced and will rotate up to 115 regular cans or 28 #10 cans. http://yourownhomestore.shelfrelianc...on-system.html
I think it could be made stack able if you set a pair of 2x4's over the corner posts to clear the cans with the next unit.

Here you go.....The hot ticket, ROLLER RACKS!
These can be installed at bit of an angle at whatever lengths needed to fit anywhere! http://images.google.com/search?tbm=...w=1280&bih=909

Old 12-30-2011, 05:17 AM   #7
Heron

I bought these last summer and I can tell you they are a god send. I got the size for pantry shelves and they work like a dream. No more trying to store canned goods, and having to constantly rotate and see what I have behind other canne goods. My cupboards are perfect with these. Can Organizers best purchase I have ever made!
Doozerdoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 05:19 AM   #8
Heron

I will take a picture and post ok, when I can since my week is full this week. I have them stacked on top of each other and never have had one problem with them collapsing or weak. These are again the best investment I have ever made!
Doozerdoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:53 AM   #9

I had to empty-repair and rehang two of my cupboards due to over stacking!

Tags
storage, woes…