Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > Sustainability

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2011, 12:09 AM   #1
WG's Mr. Tomato Head

Default Solar chargers

Anyone using any? For laptops, batteries?

Worth the money?
"If gardening isn't a pleasure for you, chances are the work will merely give you a rotten disposition. If you'd rather be golfing or fishing, get a bumper sticker that says so, and forget gardening."
Elsa Bakalar
WG Admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 02:49 PM   #2
Official Plant Nerd

I don’t know anything about them but…. I looked them up just for a peek. They look pretty pricey. Here’s 1 that looks sturdier than some of the others I found…. doesn’t mean it is but it looks like it is, SolarGorilla Solar Charger - Solar Gorilla Laptop Charger. SundanceSolar had more, Solar Chargers for AAA, AA, C, D and 9V Batteries. It’s hard finding decent reviews on any of them and I’m not too trusting of the raves I’ve been finding since they seem to be from shills. Really…. the only thing I could find online from what seemed like real folk who’ve bought them and used them is that some brand called Brunton seems to keep coming up as being preferred. Here’s another idea, Infinity USB Foot Pedal - FREE SHIPPING. Have no clue whether those would be worth the money or not either.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:00 AM   #3
Official Plant Nerd

You got me thinking…. I know 1 person who bought a Weza to put in their kid’s trunk when he went away to school, Freeplay Weza 12 volt crank charger, foot crank. The kid ended up using it for all kinds of things so I tried buying 1 as a gift for my husband but…. they’re not selling em anywhere anymore. Closest I could find wasn’t a foot treadle but a hand crank and…. I don’t know anyone who owns 1, Max Burton 6994 Power Center 100, Max Burton Hand Crank Portable Power Source and there’s no reviews of it at Amazon, Amazon.com: Max Burton Power Center100 Alternative Power Supply 12V/120V Converter and Inverter (Black, 15 x 11 x 16-Inch): Home & Garden.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:13 AM   #4
WG's Mr. Tomato Head

I see two mobile products capable of providing enough power for everyday use-
Amazon.com: Powerfilm F15-3600 60w Folding Solar Panel Charger: Sports & Outdoors
Amazon.com: Brunton Solaris 62 Foldable Solar Array: Sports & Outdoors

Built to military specs; they will perform. But, they are very expensive.
"If gardening isn't a pleasure for you, chances are the work will merely give you a rotten disposition. If you'd rather be golfing or fishing, get a bumper sticker that says so, and forget gardening."
Elsa Bakalar
WG Admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 01:23 AM   #5
Official Plant Nerd

Outa my price bracket... I'll have to wait and see what surfaces with the next generation of portable chargers.... you buy 1 and tell me how it works. Just kidding. I think in a pinch I'm liking that Max Burton hand crank power source. Looks like it'd be able to charge a phone and a laptop for about 1/4th the cost of those military grade solar charges. It did say those charged in lower levels of light though and the 1's I found didn't and what's worse is they need to be repositioned.... we have to help them "track" the sun manually. That would be a bummer.

Tags
alternative, batteries, chargers, charging, cost, electricity, laptop, laptops, power, recommendations, solar, solar charger, sun, types