Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > Sustainability

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2011, 03:48 PM   #1
Official Plant Nerd

barn What’s going on with raids on farmers selling unpasteurized milk>>>?

I was in this feed store I don’t normally go to trying to find a better pricing structure than what we’re paying for organic chicken and rabbit feed. This feed store was farther out than I normally go. It was like smack dab in the middle of Nowheresville. I really liked the area…. anywhooo…. I’m sifting through a bin of some half price vegetable seeds listening to a group of the locals talking about the FDA going after organic farmers because of some raw foods agenda. I tried to catch more of what they were saying but couldn’t because I had competition from the cash register and loaders out back and then there were other customers talking to each other and a dog barking from the back of a pickup truck…. I guess it got lonely when its owner left it there. I wanted so bad to jump in and ask them what was upsetting them all but…. I’m not a local and…. I didn’t know any of them and…. I was just some "nosey" customer stopping in pricing feed who was eavesdropping. Does anyone know what’s got these farmers so riled… why they’re talking about family farmers getting their noses rubbed in the dirt? Was something in the news recently that I missed on FDA “raids”?
Old 10-22-2011, 08:13 AM   #2
Official Plant Nerd

I think while poking around for info on the other thread I stumbled on some things that played into that conversation I heard bits and pieces of and I’m not a happy camper about what I'm finding and I don’t think anyone else will be happy either. It’s the string of FDA raids sweeping the country that got them all riled up,

A joint FDA USDA “sting” operation supposedly raided this place over un-pasteurized milk. Well duh… raw milk is unpasteurized but while they were there I guess they poured out all the milk and took their watermelons…. coconuts and….. all their meats. And…. this wasn’t even a store…. it was a private buying club where folk buy shares and pick em up. I guess they went out Rambo-style and arrested all the “suppliers” like they were drug dealers or something… as in the folk supplying the raw milk and made them put up 100k bonds. That’s why the farmers I heard were asking why only small family farmers were being raided KGB-style and treated like criminals and why not use the strong arm gun-in-the-face tactics on the mega corporate farmers responsible for most of our food contamination. I’d have to agree…. why not raid the mega farmers like they do the little guys>>>>? I’ve NEVER even heard of a raid like this on a mega farmer…. it just doesn’t happen and it’s almost as if 50 folk getting sick and 1 dying because of a mega farmer’s product is a cost of doing business. I’m not a farmer but I see where this is going what with what that whack-job Judge in WI said about Plaintiffs do not have a fundamental right to consume the milk from their own cow,” he decided, and added that “Plaintiffs do not have a fundamental right to produce and consume the foods of their choice,” not without permission from government" so I’m gonna drop some money on the Farm-to-Consumer Legal Defense Fund, Farm to Consumer Legal Defense Fund. If you like having the right to choose what goes in your mouth…. it might be a good idea sending a coupla bucks their way if you can.
Old 10-22-2011, 12:43 PM   #3
WG Facebook Administrator

Don't the feds have better things to do with their time and our money?
Old 10-22-2011, 01:35 PM   #4
WG's Mr. Tomato Head

Amelanchier-

Good question.

Consumption of raw milk is legal in all states.
"If gardening isn't a pleasure for you, chances are the work will merely give you a rotten disposition. If you'd rather be golfing or fishing, get a bumper sticker that says so, and forget gardening."
Elsa Bakalar
WG Admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 03:51 PM   #5
Fox

Well, there's legal and then there's legal. An activity can be legal but regulated so stringently that it's difficult if not impossible to engage in it legitimately. I know one farm that sells raw milk products here in MA. They make you sign a release form stating that you understand the dangers of raw milk and absolve the farm of all liability. One lady I knew sold the milk from her own cow and made people sign a waiver stating that the milk would be used for animals only.
These tactics aren't warranted. Federal agencies tend to enforce their rules rather aggressively, though. I can't say I'm surprised.
Old 10-22-2011, 06:07 PM   #6
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Why take a chance on getting sick from E.coli or campylobacter?
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 06:14 AM   #7
The Bug Whisperer

This is an issue with many shades of gray. Where public health is concerned, conflict often occurs or is perceived between ensuring public safety and individual rights/freedoms. My take is that if one wishes to take risks, they also should be willing to bear the weight of the consequences if things go wrong.

Henry Ward Beecher
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:27 AM   #8
Official Plant Nerd

Round about the time pasteurization of milk was becoming wide spread…. we started learning a lot about how to produce raw dairy products safely which happened to coincide with improved sanitation and “modern” refrigeration becoming available to the huddled masses so….. I’d have to question if pasteurization alone accounted for the decline in some human diseases at the time. Shame it’s never been studied. Another little thing I’ve learned is beware the phrase “associated with” in the same sentence with raw milk. After reading this, FDA and CDC Bias Against Raw Milk--No Facts Provided in Recent Reminder about Raw Milk Consumption, I guess we all need to do our own “homework” on this controversial subject before automatically “assuming” pasteurized milk is safer for us because the FDA and USDA lead us to believe it is while asking ourselves why the FDA issues zip nadda absolutely NO warnings about drinking pasteurized milk>>>? To each his own I guess however the day any 1 of us is told we don’t have a right to drink milk “raw” without government’s approval let alone the right to own a dairy goat or a cow for that matter on private property where we’re paying taxes is…. the day I'm thinking we’re all in deep doggie do do beyond my wildest dreams.
--
BTW… here’s another high profile milk bust, LINNEKIN: Mopping up the raw-milk mob - Washington Times. Loved the comments from the Grist staff writer.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:22 PM   #9
Official Plant Nerd

I caught something poking around on raw milk last week and I saved it…. ‘Elkhart County sheriff intervenes against feds in raw milk case’, Elkhart County sheriff intervenes against feds in raw milk case, “With Mr. Hochstetler, he’s had harassment and ongoing visits that were unreasonable,” said Rogers, who told federal officials in a Dec. 2 email that they would need warrants before conducting any more inspections of the man’s farm. “I just told them they were no longer welcome unless they had a warrant” AND “I think it’s great that the local sheriff is supporting the local farmers,” said Gary Cox of the Farm-to-Consumer Legal Defense Fund, a non-profit group active in defending access to raw milk.
Hochstetler is left unsure what happens going forward — federal officials “backed off now. I don’t know how long,” he said — while federal authorities remain largely mum.” The whole article was really an eye opener…. even more so all the comments… all 10 pages of them....aside from the personal attacks….
Old 05-20-2012, 11:59 PM   #10
Official Plant Nerd

I was at that feed store yesterday and flat out asked the gal at the register what happened last year that had everyone up in arms over their farms. She said not much….. they were all just paranoid over something that never happened then laughed. I said, “Come on… tell me… I shop here pretty regularly now”. She said it was Agenda 21 getting em all riled over having to get CDL licenses for tractors. I’m sorta familiar with the UN’s sustainable development but I don’t dwell on it so I went looking and found something that grabbed my attention from right about the time I was there the 1st time, Agenda 21 Update – DOT’s regulatory attack on family farms | Video | TheBlaze.com. Now that would be a problem to me if I was a farmer… it’s be a big time problem,This proposed change literally means family farms could no longer legally allow young workers, not old enough to drive and seniors who no longer drive on the public streets, to operate a tractor… even on the family’s private property.AND, “The proposed change also means ANYONE driving a tractor or operating any piece of motorized farming equipment would be forced to pass the same rigorous tests and fill out the same detailed forms and diaries required of semi-tractor trailer drivers. This reclassification would bury small farms and family farms in regulation and paperwork.” IMO…. doesn’t matter if it didn’t come into fruition that “round”….. it’ll be back again when…. we’re distracted. It won’t just be family farms affected though… it’ll be everyone who owns any “motorized” equipment so this will snowball. And…. they’ve found some sort of a workaround to get this through when they want… a vote won’t be necessary. It’ll be a regulation. The department can just wait till the dust settles then draft the new rule with an implementation timeline… fees …. fines and…. that’s it…. show’s over for all those comments they solicited from the public to make folk feel as if they really had some input into what was going on last year.
--
And…. while we were all distracted last year…. this hit, USDA Signs MOU with Rockefeller?s Council of Foundations to Exploit Rural America Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!, Good ole Vilsack was at it again. Looks like he signed the whopper of all whoppers… the MOU with Rockefeller’s Council of Foundations. Here’s part of what went happened, “The Memorandum of Understanding will give corporations – whether dressed up as foundations or just openly themselves as profit-driven businesses – full and unhindered access to all resources in rural America, where oil, gas, uranium, coal, water and other resources are buried under people’s private property or under public lands.” So much for ever stopping China or any other country from pock marking our lands out west extracting coal all the while leaving us with the clean up bill and so much for getting all the straws out of our fresh water aquifers when we’re experiencing some of the worst droughts in US history. Makes me want to spit BBs. Who’s gonna benefit… multinational corporations like ConAgra, Archer Daniels, Midland, and…. drum roll please… Monsanto. This is the UN’s dream package come true. Americans are going down on our knees because of the economy so let’s just kick us in the teeth while we’re down and ship more natural resources we’ll need to bail ourselves out over to those “developing” countries controlled by all their carbon trading “stakeholders”. Even though all we’re doing is giving foreign interests that WON’T reinvest in the US or… in their own countries for that matter…. the right to “steal” natural resources… Vilsack’s press release billed the USDA’s signing of the MOU as,
Foster greater economic opportunities and partner in creation of new sources of rural opportunities to improve the quality of life for rural Americans
Identify resources that can be used to produce new economic opportunities
Promote new partnerships in workforce investment strategies and
Develop innovative, effective and sustainable methods of collaborating to benefit rural communities.”
--
Death of our small farmers by a thousand cuts and probably….any dreams we ever had of having access to more locally grown and organic foods unless… it comes out of our own backyards.

Tags
aggressive, enforce, farm, farmer, farmers, fed, federal, federal agencies, home grown, milk, milk>>>, organic, raid, raids, raw, regulated, regulations, selling, small farm raids, small farms, strict, unpasteurized, what’s