Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > Sustainability

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2011, 07:39 AM   #1
Official Plant Nerd

Default Remember when an 8' 2x4 was 2" by 4" by 96"

CAUTION>>>> Rant ahead.
--
Anyone remember when a 2x4 was really a 2x4 that was really 8’ long? And… when ¾” plywood was ¾” plywood? I don't. I’ve just started learning how to build simple things and I gotta say all this lumber not being the dimensions we're buying it as is totally screwing me up since I’m using hand me down tools from days when a ¾” piece of plywood was really a ¾” piece of plywood. And bread.... in case anyone's got a magnifying glass with them when they're shopping so they can read those labels... when you read cellulose listed as an ingredient… that’s processed sawdust. Seeeeee… that’s what they did with all that leftover sawdust from milling lumber…. it’s now a filler in our breads.…. who woulda thunk it possible to slip that one by so many of us. Anyone else catch on last year that some of the pasta we’re buying is 12oz…. not 16oz anymore? Some of the Healthy Request soups we buy are down in size but the price went up and then the price went up again when they added a pop top lid… probably to cover their costs of switching to that style can. Which reminds me…. I spotted some cans where the “dry weight” got reduced and replaced with an ounce of water…. same size can…. less shrooms. Our turkey bacon isn’t 16 oz any more…. it’s only 12 oz this year but…. the price still went up. Same thing with our cheeses…. Most aren’t 16oz anymore…. price stayed the same for a while after they downsized to 12 oz but now it’s up. I bought some ice cream…. I didn’t notice when they changed the shape of the container that it wasn’t a full quart anymore but…. I did catch the price went up for the fancy new oval container. I won’t be buying that any more until Thanksgiving when I need it for apple pie. Worse thing is that all my flour and sugar is in 4lb bags this year. Did anyone else catch that we’re not getting 5lb bags of flour or sugar anymore or is that just special packaging for Midwest consumers? And cereals…. my inner bags used to settle down a little bit but they reduced the volume…. kept the box and the bag the same size…. raised the price almost 2 fold…. and they’re still trying to say it’s because of settling>>>>? I should go take a photo before I empty a bag of cereal into a storage container. I can read….. I’m reading they reduced the amount of cereal I’m getting this year but….. what a TOTAL waste of resources packaging that air and all that extra air sure isn’t doing much for the shelf life of my cereal. Toilet paper…. Oy….I started buying Seventh Generation online in bulk of 96 rolls…. catch my photo….the Seventh Generation is the tube in the back left. It hasn’t changed…. yet…. but…. I ran low and had to buy different brands until I could remember to buy a case. I forgot what the brand was in the front left since I took it out of the shrink wrap but catch that the tube is larger. Look at the size of that hole compared to the other 2 tubes. That’s sneaky. Now check out the roll on the right. I put that on our tp dispenser and thought there was something funny going on which is why I decided to grab some rolls out of the closet to compare. The height of the roll’s been reduced so it’s not fitting on my dispenser snugly the way it used to anymore… it’s not staying put and it’s sliding back and forth just enough that it’s loads of fun for my cats. My cats shred a roll… wheeee…. and left a pile for me on the floor. I lifted up some of the 12 packs of toilet paper before I bought that Quilted Northern and some of the other were triple sheets and they weren’t much more than heavily embossed rolls of air that weighed even less than the Quilted Northern so I picked the one that weighed the most but…. when I got home and compared the weight of 12 rolls of Pom and 12 rolls of Seventh Generation to the 12 rolls of Quilted Northern…. the QN weighed way less in my hand. Buyers beAWARE…. we’re talking big time bait and switches going on out there…. even in our underwear.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:18 AM   #2
Official Plant Nerd

Duh.... forgot the photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Remember when an 8' 2x4 was 2" by 4" by 96"-img_5670.jpg   Remember when an 8' 2x4 was 2" by 4" by 96"-img_5672.jpg  
Old 08-08-2011, 09:59 AM   #3
The Bug Whisperer

Downsizing is everywhere - you didn't even mention ice cream, where the old familiar half-gallon carton now is 1.5 quarts after a brief interim at 1.75 quarts. This all seems to have started many years ago with candy bars - I can remember when a 5-cent Hershey bar was a big hunk of chocolate (but then, I'm old enough to remember getting a glass of beer for a nickle in some ND bars!). If you ever read Condemner Reports, they devote the inside back page ("Selling It") to reader-submitted examples of marketing idiocies. Oh yeah - and someone once told me that one of the ingredients in Twinkies is 'food-grade plaster of Paris'...

Henry Ward Beecher
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:15 AM   #4
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

I have noticed about the ice cream and perhaps some of the others. Early this year, I noticed that Iams catfood is selling less food (per weight) at the same price. I noticed it immediately and got very ******, telling myself I'd write to the company and let them know that I was not fooled and am very insulted, etc. Sad to admit, I never did. ...But I will spread the word here.

Cellulose in bread! Yikes! I had read that they did that during war times (can't remember when...or was it during the Depression?). ~sigh~

BTW, my theory holds--now that you've been infected, too, suunto! Sorry buddy.

Don't forget, I've got a mob of friends to protect me...and my brain is on the small side and rather dry.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:09 AM   #5
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Notice....
How much narrower the stick deodorants are,
caps on shampoo and rinse bottles are larger,
macaroni and cheese now feeds ONE,
Toilet paper rolls not only have larger tubes but are actually shorter when stood on end,
less tuna in a can, more water-oil,
garden hoses are thinner,
hand trowels bend in use,
and worst of all, liqueur bottles more slim.Name:  sad1.gif
Views: 74
Size:  617 Bytes

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 06:00 PM   #6
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Notice....
How much narrower the stick deodorants are,
caps on shampoo and rinse bottles are larger,
macaroni and cheese now feeds ONE,
Toilet paper rolls not only have larger tubes but are actually shorter when stood on end,
less tuna in a can, more water-oil,
garden hoses are thinner,
hand trowels bend in use,
and worst of all, liqueur bottles more slim.Attachment 25591
Remember when songs came on discs called 45's???

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:08 PM   #7
Carbon

45s? What about 78s? Hehehe. I never had any myself, but my grandmother had some that totally freaked me out when I tried to play them on my turntable!

This thread is very interesting. It seems that we might be heading for a correction in society. The less for more mentality can't go on forever.

Russell
Texflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:15 PM   #8

You forgot the 33 speed...records

Old 08-09-2011, 07:24 PM   #9
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
You forgot the 33 speed...records
33 1/3 ...if memory serves.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:54 PM   #10

yup! I forgot to add the third.

Tags
4 by 96, consumers, high priced, higher priced, less product, marketing, products, quality, quantity, reduction, remember when an 8 2x4 was 2, rip off