Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > Sustainability

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2011, 06:39 PM   #61
Official Plant Nerd

I don't buy school supplies anymore so I wouldn't have caught that. Here's how I bet that'll play out... next year the name brand spiral notebooks will advertise 25% more then as soon as the school supplies rush is over they'll reduce their # of pages down to that of their competitors without reducing the price. I did catch that the size of some bar soaps was reduced so I 'spose the other bars will follow. Oh oh oh.... some boxes of tea only have 18 bags in them instead of 20... that's a new one on me and some pre-packaged tie downs for trees have only 2 sets of tie downs in them instead of 3. I just bought a pack of tie downs for some fruit tree saplings and caught that.... after I got home.... I had to go back to the store and buy another pack since I wanted to stake down 3 saplings not just 2. Sneaky sneaky.... the price about the same as what I remembered this past spring but... I got 33% less product.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:23 PM   #62
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Remember when an 8' 2x4 was 2" by 4" by 96"-dscf9714.jpg
And a good old canning jar was hefty enough you didn't need to worry about cracking them in the process!
Remember when an 8' 2x4 was 2" by 4" by 96"-dscf9827.jpg
Kerr (On the right) verses the others sold now days. BIG difference wouldn't you say?

Most containers say they settle a bit....
Remember when an 8' 2x4 was 2" by 4" by 96"-dscf9610.jpg
Ant poison
Remember when an 8' 2x4 was 2" by 4" by 96"-dscf9825.jpg
Powdered cream.
I'm not liking the way we are getting ripped off "AT ALL!"

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 09:17 AM   #63
Official Plant Nerd

That kills me... they reduce the quantity of product without reducing the container and still refer to it as "settling". We're paying for all that excessive packaging which makes my blood curdle. If you really wanna lose it... weigh out any older canning jars against newer name brand canning jars up against the store brand sold at WallyWorld for a coupla dollars less than name brands sold elsewhere. Really makes me wonder if any of us should be shopping at WallyWorld at all when they're so big they can "tailor" products to their marketing specifications.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:06 PM   #64

I don't need to weigh the canning jars....When I ran into one of my good old fashioned ones I could TELL it was quality!!!!

Old 02-04-2013, 01:02 AM   #65
Official Plant Nerd

Some boxes of tea now only have 16 bags in them now instead of the original 20 that was reduced to 18 sometime in the last 2 yrs. About the thickness of the store brand mason jars sold at Walmart being about half what Kerr mason jars are that hava picked up on….. I just caught something else….WallyWorld’s fabric has a lower thread count. My girlfriend’s daughter bought some fabric from them for a project and she was over last Friday showing me her fabric and when I lifted it out of the bag…. something wasn’t “feeling” right. I pulled out the fabric I’d bought from Joanne’s and whipped out my handy dandy magnifying glass and caught something was off but couldn’t quite figure out what. We put her fabric under 20x magnification and sure enough…. the thread count was waaaaaaay lower and when we put her 3 yards of backing on my scale and weighed it…. it was less than my 3 yards of fabric by quite a bit. Sneaky sneaky sneaky and her fabric was almost a dollar a yard more than what I’d paid at Joanne’s per yard. Fabrics with a low thread count won’t hold up well in the wash and…. they won’t last as long. I told her to take it back to WallyWorld and go buy thicker fabric for her project.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:01 AM   #66
WG Writer

Size of lumber: Not in my life time has a 2 x 4 actually been 2" by 4" -- you get the finished size of lumber not the green wood milled size.

Lumber Dimensions and Size Measurements

Quote:

"This measuring method is probably the most recognized by the average person. We see this type of measuring method used in almost all "Do-It-Yourself" type stores that sell lumber, or any place selling lumber for construction purposes. We recognize such "sizes" as 2x4, 2x6, 4x4, 1x2, etc. This measurement refers to the thickness and width of the lumber and the length varies. In reality, these measurements are not a true measurement of the lumber thickness or width. The true measurement of a 2x4 is actually about 1.5x3.5. When the board is first rough sawn from the log, it is a true 2x4, but the drying process and planning of the board reduce it to the finished 1.5x3.5 size. The lumber is then sold as a "2x4" because the cost of the drying and machining are figured in...it is also much easier to refer to a board as a "2x4", rather than a "1.5x3.5"."
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:03 PM   #67

I found an old light bulb in the shed at camp...I was surprised at how HEAVY it was compared to the ones we now have available.
I swear it was like it was made out of blown glass.

Old 12-24-2013, 01:29 AM   #68
Official Plant Nerd

Since Thanksgiving I've been baking a lot. Our chickens quit laying earlier than normal this year because of cold snaps so.... we've actually had to buy eggs. Is it just my imagination or.... are Lg and X lg eggs getting smaller>>>? They seem smaller. Not by much but smaller. I never thought to weigh eggs from the store back when I used to buy them so I don't know if the weight of the eggs I'm buying is the same as it used to be.
Old 12-24-2013, 11:30 AM   #69

We've been finding larger than large eggs...LOTS of double yol ers.

Tags
4 by 96, consumers, high priced, higher priced, less product, marketing, products, quality, quantity, reduction, remember when an 8 2x4 was 2, rip off