Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > Sustainability

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2011, 07:55 PM   #11
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Maybe my memory will be just fine!
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:56 PM   #12
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

You're on a roll today .

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:52 PM   #13
Official Plant Nerd

We were at a concert last weekend. Nobody can bring their own snacks or drinks in…. everyone’s stuck buying from concession stands. Know what I caught>>>? They weren’t filling our cups to the rim any more like they were the last time we went to Wrigley Field a coupla years ago. I said something. The gal said they were auto fill. I asked her to top mine off manually. She did. Oh oh oh… one of my nephews tells me double stuffed Oreos aren’t double stuffed any more. He said more like 1.5 stuffed from when they 1st came out. I don’t buy them…. I don’t know but sounds par for course. I do buy some organic shortbread cookies that are like 2/3rds the size of what they were last year only they’re more expensive this year. I think I’ll stop buying them. I can probably make em myself. Commercial grades of trash cans used to come with lids that were all pretty much HDPE with a recycling code of 2 which meant I could store water in them. Not anymore…. they’re all mostly LDPE with a recycling code of 5 which is a cheaper plastic that isn’t safe to store water in and…. they’re selling the lids separately and…. they’re 35% higher in price without adding the increase for selling the lids separately. I had to buy a new set of linens for a kid…. the cost of 200 count thread that can make it through a washing machine more than 20x is what 400 count used to cost and…. it seems like they’ve reduced the thread count on kitchen towels too but I’m not sure. Mine were in pretty bad shape so I had to replace some of them but the new ones just didn't feel the same. I found an old roll of tinfoil on my shelves. Get this…. the new roll I bought says “heavy duty”. It’s what regular foil used to be like so somewhere along the line they reduced the gauge so they could increase it and sell regular tinfoil as heavy duty. It’s not just candy bars anymore and…. I do remember the 5˘ candy bars. Anyone catch that some dimples in the bottoms of glass and plastic containers are larger now? I have never noticed so many changes in fillers…. weights….materials…. sizes….and packaging…. it’s like products have taken on a life of their own… expanding and contracting like they’re inhaling and exhaling…. so are serving sizes which…. affects percentage labeling. Reduce that serving size enough to like one serving like havalotta mentioned and the label can read ZERO trans fat. But…. the product’s still laced with fat and who knows what else since ˝ gram or less can be labeled 0. Shrink or redesign the container so they can reduce the contents…. go back to the old size box with a higher price labeled 33% more…. shrink the container again reducing the product leaving the price the same…. repeat… raise the price….repeat again. We can’t afford the convenience of all these products anymore and…. it’s not going to get any better anytime soon because the majority of folk keep on buying the same name brand products but…. it feeeeeels so good to whine about it!!!!
--
dapjwy> You nailed it on the catfood. I used to buy that at WalMart. 20# bags of Iams original that’s now…. 16# so I started going to PetSmart and now they’re selling the same 16# bag of cat food for the same price the 20# bag was just 6 months ago but…. guess what? It’s not Iams that initiated this. WalMart is so big and so controlling they contracted for the reduced volume bags so other retailers are following their lead. Iams in 20# bags is still sold by most private pet shops around here and we've been stocking up when it's on sale. I don’t even want to think about what happened to livestock feed prices and quantities in just the short time I’ve been raising chickens and rabbits. Anyone else notice rabbit feed’s in 40# bags instead of 50# bags and that chicken feed’s now routinely sold in 25# bags right next to the 50# bags? Rabbit feed was around $8 for 50# now it’s up to about $13 for 40#.
--
Texflowers> I hear ya. I think a correction's coming and I don't think any of us are gonna like it. I dunno about you but what's going on is squeezing the life out of our paychecks. We're adjusting.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:51 AM   #14
The Bug Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texflowers View Post
45s? What about 78s? Hehehe. I never had any myself, but my grandmother had some that totally freaked me out when I tried to play them on my turntable!
Back in 1964, I spent Thanksgiving with my roommate's family in Indiana, and found that they had an old hand-cranked Victrola that played wax cylinders...

Henry Ward Beecher
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:32 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by suunto View Post
Back in 1964, I spent Thanksgiving with my roommate's family in Indiana, and found that they had an old hand-cranked Victrola that played wax cylinders...
Now that sounds cool!
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 08-10-2011, 08:40 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texflowers View Post
45s? What about 78s? Hehehe. I never had any myself, but my grandmother had some that totally freaked me out when I tried to play them on my turntable!
I remember playing some Simon and Garfunkle song at the faster speed just for laughs.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:49 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
dapjwy> You nailed it on the catfood. I used to buy that at WalMart. 20# bags of Iams original that’s now…. 16# so I started going to PetSmart and now they’re selling the same 16# bag of cat food for the same price the 20# bag was just 6 months ago but…. guess what? It’s not Iams that initiated this. WalMart is so big and so controlling they contracted for the reduced volume bags so other retailers are following their lead. Iams in 20# bags is still sold by most private pet shops around here and we've been stocking up when it's on sale.
I couldn't remember the original weights (even though I was having a good memory day yesterday apparently. ). I was thinking you were right, but now I'm thinking it was 16 lbs. down to 14lbs and the smaller 8 lb. bag down to a 6 lb. bag! Could they have done it twice!?!

I didn't realize that Iams hadn't initiated this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
Texflowers> I hear ya. I think a correction's coming and I don't think any of us are gonna like it. I dunno about you but what's going on is squeezing the life out of our paychecks. We're adjusting.
For years I've heard it said that we have too many choices out there in the stores...and as was mentioned on WG, we are a throw-away society and are taught this from birth (it's become part of our culture)...so, although we might not like adjusting, I have to wonder how the younger generation will be able to adjust (I'm guessing they have not reference for what it used to be like).
Old 08-10-2011, 08:59 AM   #18

Quote:
I do buy some organic shortbread cookies that are like 2/3rds the size of what they were last year only they’re more expensive this year. I think I’ll stop buying them.
Andy Rooney would be a GREAT person for spreading the word on a topic such as this...I can just picture him saying that line. How do we make contact with him?

Quote:
They’re selling the lids separately
They're also selling the plant and container bases separate from the pots!!!
That really tees me off. Like I'd want to buy the pot without it and have it dribbling all over whenever I watered! Grrrrrrrrrrrr Remember when an 8' 2x4 was 2" by 4" by 96"-atomic.gif

Old 08-10-2011, 09:06 AM   #19

Good point about Andy Rooney--I'd be surprised if he didn't rant about that yet--hate to admit it but I've not seen 60 minutes in years! (...wouldn't surprise me if it is 43 minutes now )

As for selling things separately, I remember Jeff telling me that when he first moved out here (he moved for a job, while I finished up my assignment at the time and looked for work out here...so we had two apartments at the time and only saw each other on weekends)...anyway, he bought a plunger--they sold the stick and the rubber piece separately!!! and this was quite a few years ago.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:22 AM   #20

Quote:
I've not seen 60 minutes in years! (...wouldn't surprise me if it is 43 minutes now )
You crack me up....
Quote:
He bought a plunger--they sold the stick and the rubber piece separately!!!
Come on............

Tags
4 by 96, consumers, high priced, higher priced, less product, marketing, products, quality, quantity, reduction, remember when an 8 2x4 was 2, rip off