Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > Sustainability

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2010, 09:21 PM   #21
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

I can't believe she actually tried to tuck herself into the garbage to hide!
Sure hope it wasn't behind a restaurant with food scraps...

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 10:18 PM   #22
Salamander

It's not dumpster diving; but I cycle in and out of work (ten-ish mile trip, and I vary it now and again) and I watch what's growing on the road verges and grab seed of anything that looks native and handy.
I can normally remember what it looks like, and I will schlep through the interwebs until I find what it is.

I was wrong with porcelain berry (not native), but there are some great plants growing five meters off the highways here.
philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 02:18 AM   #23
WG Operations, Facilitator

Talking

Equil-
I just want you to know that your dumpster diving encounter with the police officer had me laughing so hard, I had tears rolling out of my eyeballs!!

As I understand it, dressing trashy is a fashion statement now-a-days. <giggle>
Old 10-27-2010, 04:55 PM   #24

Dumpster diving.... yaaa.... I do it-redneck.jpg
Ever run into any of these?

(Photo sent via E-mail)

Old 10-27-2010, 05:55 PM   #25
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

I would never go dumpster diving in those! Nooooooooooway!
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 11:52 PM   #26
Official Plant Nerd

You know how you get an adrenaline rush when you're doing something you probably shouldn't be doing? Well.... that's when I started thinking about getting caught and how fast could I get in and out so my name didn’t end up in the local police blotter.... you know.... the newspaper column everybody reads right up there with the obits? That's how I forgot my step stool on the outside of the dumpster.... I got the dumpster jitters then had a panic attack but…. I’d promised a friend I’d get a few echinaceas for her and figured who’d be out at that time of night so I talked myself out of my fears and while I was doing that…. I forgot to haul my step stool in with me since.... duh.... the sides of the dumpsters are high for a reason.... to keep people out. When I heard a car pulling up.... I decided maybe I better think of something just in case. Well…. just in case happened so I started piling what ever I could up so I could get out but then I heard the car stop and door open and close. We're talking horror when I heard footsteps coming toward the dumpster so that's when I went over to the other side of the dumpster where it was dark and tried to bury myself in garbage. Reeeeeally bad idea.... not enough time…. he used MY step stool to get up and flash his light down on me. And.... I'm a dumpster diver with discriminating tastes.... I'd never dive for a toilet.... never. hazelnut> I’m pretty sure he thought I was homeless. The Denny’s had a special going for coffee and something else for .99¢ and who else but a baglady wearing a floppy hat at night would be in a dumpster loaded with garbage and a bunch of plants that’d seen better days and…. I’d rolled a shopping cart over from the grocery store and parked it outside the dumpster so I could get all the plant treasures back to my car. Sage and 4B> you guys know that if you’d gotten a hot tip on perfectly good plants getting pitched that you woulda tried to “rescue” them too!!! havalotta> Home Depot has hot dog stands at both entrances…. talk about a bad night…. they must unload the concession stand garbage cans every night before close….. my jeans and arms were smeared with mustard and ketchup and pickle relish. philip> roadside are safe but…. look at all the adrenaline rushes you'll miss playing it safe and... I got paid $1 for being a bad girl!!!
Old 10-30-2010, 12:40 AM   #27

You're a riot!

Old 10-30-2010, 10:13 AM   #28
WG Writer

Quote:
. . . smeared with mustard and ketchup and pickle relish.
Not to mention how it must have smelled!

I think my most embarassing moment was yesterday when my dog Emmagreyhound got tangled up in a pyracanta bush. I was trying to free her when apparently I stabbed myself in the forhead with a pyracantha thorn. There was a lot of blood--gushing down over my glasses.

Just then the mail lady came up the driveway. Dog barking--trying to attack the mail lady, blood all over my face. I thanked her sweetly for the mail. Fortunately she did call the ambulance or the police.

I was planning to tell them it was my holloween costume if they came.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 10:03 AM   #29
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Default My First Time

I really didn't expect to have a story for this thread, but, while getting our roof done recently, I found myself in the dumpster that had been placed in our yard for the removed shingles and such.

Our old roof had moss growing on it and I wanted to be sure to get as much of it as I could to create a "moss groundcover" among my wildflower plantings out front. I spotted some green among the shingles and went in after it. It was a walk-in dumpster with the gate open, so I wasn't climbing in over the sides or anything.

I managed to save a good bit, set it in place, and press it into the ground by stepping on it. I hope it will grow for me and make a nice moss mosaic.

There had been some pretty big patches and I came out with ony a fraction of what must've been up there. Later, I found that most of it was on the ground at the corner of the house...so, I have that to work with too!
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 10:15 AM   #30

What a wonderful idea!

Tags
bunny droppings, bunny poo, cecotropes, diving, dumpster, dumpster diving, fertilizer, find, fix, free, organic, organic ferilizer, rabbit droppings, rabbit poo, re-use, recover, recycle, recycling, repair, reuse, second hand, trash, yaaa