Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > Sustainability

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2010, 01:52 AM   #1
Slapping, Swearing, Itching, Scratching Mosquito Bait

earth1 Newsweek: What Haiti Really Needs Now: More Trees

Quote:
“Almost all of the country’s problems—natural disasters, food shortages, poverty—can be traced back to rampant deforestation,” says Ethan Budiansky, the Caribbean-programs officer at Trees for the Future, a nonprofit group that is planting thousands of trees in the mountains around Gonaďves.
What Haiti Really Needs Now: More Trees - Newsweek

This is a really good article about Haiti's profound problems that predate the January 2010 earthquake. It talks about the deforestation that occurred from agriculture and making charcoal for fuel, and the population movement to the cities.

If you look at satellite maps of Haiti and zoom in on the border with the Domincan Republic, the difference is stark - in some areas, the Haitian side of the road is barren and treeless and the Dominican side is forested. I'll try to embed a map link tomorrow.

Trees for the Future>Projects>Haiti
swamp thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 10:45 PM   #2
Official Plant Nerd

They had a lot of erosion problems the last time I was there. It's probably 10x worse now but if they keep up the good work planting trees.... they'll be that much better for the long haul. You know Haiti told Monsanto to ram their gift of seeds up their rears right, The Haitian Blogger: Monsanto seeds in Haiti: Haitian farmers' epic struggle for survival? "The hybrid seeds create the need for water and fungicides that cost more than locals can afford. The price of the seeds as well as shipping will also ultimately likely cost more than Haitian farmers can afford." You might want to read more about what Monsanto tried to "gift" to them at that link. I think Haiti might be on its way toward a sustainable future if they keep going the direction they're going.
Old 07-17-2010, 11:35 PM   #3
Slapping, Swearing, Itching, Scratching Mosquito Bait

I remember hearing that they turned down the seeds, probably not the kind of p.r. Monsanto wanted!
swamp thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 11:55 PM   #4
Official Plant Nerd

Yes but.... it was liberating for Haitians. I had a link where we could send money for untreated heirloom seeds to Haitians if we want. I'll try to find it. I was in a rush so I did something really bad.... I paypalled some money to a girlfriend and told her to buy some organic seed and to send my seed with her seed. You can't do this on your own. You need a permit to send them seed so be careful if you're thinking of sending anything. Get your permit first. It might be better to send a coupla bucks to an organic seed supplier to let them ship out or find an organization that's buying seed to send over. BTW.... my heart doesn't exactly bleed for all the bad publicity Monsanto got out of this. Monsanto didn't exactly have the Haitians in mind when they offered that 4M in seed. Their PR people were probably salivating at the prospect of "partnering" with the Haitians while their bean counters were smacking their lips and going to sleep counting future $$$ from the terminator hybrids they'd send them instead of sheep. If they really had terminator seeds in that "gift" package they were offering to the Haitians.... Monsanto is even scummier than I thought.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:43 PM   #5
WG Staff

Default Monsanto Donates Corn and Vegetable Seed to Haiti

Monsanto Donates Corn and Vegetable Seed to Haiti
Beyond the Rows, a blog by Monsanto

Monsanto Donates Corn and Vegetable Seed to Haiti – Monsanto Blog - Beyond the Rows
Quote:
Simple directive, but complex in execution. First, Monsanto had to identify seed from its inventory that would be well-suited to Haitian growing climates. That was perhaps the simplest part. The seeds include corn (field, not sweet), cabbage, carrot, eggplant, melon, onion, tomato, spinach and watermelon. Contrary to some online reports (sparked by this erroneous blog posting), these seeds are not derived from biotechnology (GMO). They are conventionally bred, hybrid seeds. Also, Monsanto is not donating herbicide or fertilizer, as those reports falsely state...
Old 07-23-2010, 12:45 PM   #6
WG Staff

Default Haitian ‘Social Justice’ Groups Want to Burn Aid

Haitian ‘Social Justice’ Groups Want to Burn Aid
Jeff Stier

Haitian ‘Social Justice’ Groups Want to Burn Aid - Jeff Stier - The Corner on National Review Online=
excerpt from above:
Quote:
This evil campaign puts politics ahead of humanity, and it is sad that charities like the Carnegie Corporation of New York and the New York Community Trust are funding Grassroots International’s perversely named “social justice” campaign.

The two groups, the Peasant Movement of Papay (MPP) and the National Peasant Movement of the Congress of Papay (MPMKP), argue that the hybrid seeds donated by Monsanto will somehow undermine the “food sovereignty” of Haiti. They also assert, without any scientific basis, that the donated seeds are somehow unsafe. Nothing could be further from the truth...
Old 07-23-2010, 11:34 PM   #7
Official Plant Nerd

I better check my glasses. Did this Jeff Steir really type this in the same article where he compared Monsanto's agricultural technologies to Dr. Norman Borlaug's, "Both GM and hybrid seeds are safe, although Haiti doesn’t have the regulatory infrastructure to use GM seeds."???

Tags
donate, donates, donation, haiti, humanity, monsanto, newsweek, politics, seeds, trees, turned down