Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > Sustainability

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2010, 11:10 AM   #11
WG Operations, Facilitator

I have a front loading high efficiency washing machine.

Sears Kenmore Elite HE3t
Model 45996 400

Front Load Washer
High Efficiency
3.8 cu/ft

Pros:
  • Conserves Water.
  • The load capacity is double of my old top loading washing machine. Less laundry cycles to run.
  • The large capicity will handle a king size heavy blanket, king size heavy comfortor, 2 or 3 heavy rugs, a sleeping bag, Mens heavy 3X winter clothes, odd shaped items, etc.
  • You can buy high efficiency washing machine soap or just use 1/2 the amount of ordinary laundry soap.
  • I didn't buy the pedestal/drawer thing to go under it. That means I can sit on a chair and transfer my laundry to my dryer sitting down. This is a must for me due to health constraints. In fact I refused to buy the washing machine until someone in the store brought me a folding chair to place in front of the washing machine (try before you buy!)
  • Sears handled the Energy Star rebate for me.
  • My dog likes to watch to watch the washing machine toss the laundry around and around and back and forth and back and forth.

Cons:
  • Must leave door open after using to dry out.
  • Important to clean door gasket at least once a month.
  • Needs a solid base on the floor or shaking will ensue.
  • Cycle times are much longer than a standard top loading agitator washing machine.
  • MUST buy the warranty/extended warranty. These high efficiency washers are totally computerized. Bad board means $500 worth of repairs. My computerized board has already needed replacing after less than 2 years of use.

In summary, I'm happy to be using an appliance the conserves water and energy, but I'm so happy I bought that extended warranty.

BooBooBearBecky
Old 04-16-2010, 11:22 AM   #12
WG Writer

It used to be that you would buy one of those institutional looking maytags and it would still be going strong 20 years later when you had to leave it behind because you moved. The same with a Maytag or Whirlpool refrigerator.

A few years ago I got a Whirlpool washer at the recommendation of the lady at the service center. After two years the coupling gave out -- the bill was $100+. What did I do?
I asked the service man. Oh, they just wear out every few years.

A new LG is $700 down at the local appliance store. Is it worth it?

A washer has to run almost non stop daily and it should be big enough to handle the bedding in the house -- sleeping bags etc. Isn't there a machine that will do the job?
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 11:26 AM   #13
WG Writer

Booboobearbecky: Ive had sears service men tell me that Sears makes money on their service contracts and they program their machines to need that service every few years. Their machines (at that time) were actually Whirlpools - modified to need service to fit Sears specifications. An identical Whirlpool would not have the service record of a Kenmore.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:54 PM   #14
Official Plant Nerd

I threw in the towel and called the service guy back to repair the machine I've got to buy time to figure out what I want to buy. I think the reason why we see so many love or hate reviews is that these washers cost a LOT of money and when people get a lemon.... they scream and when they drop a load of cash.... they rave about their decision to buy a particular brand. The reviews from service repair guys on the Fisher-Paykel and that other Whirlpool are good. Better than on the LGs which seem to be Sears' new Kenmore so they're servicing it and probably charging an arm, leg, and left lung if they can get the parts.
Old 04-17-2010, 08:20 AM   #15
WG Writer

"if they can get the parts. "

This is another thing sears does - they buy up all the circuitboards and essential parts for the Kenmores so that they have a corner on the repair market.

You don't need a car or a washing machine that you can't get fixed at the local repair shop.
Old 04-17-2010, 10:10 AM   #16
Heron

I have had an LG front loader for 5 years. I had a whole dissertation ready about LG washer and dryers, then you said they were out of the running. Oh well I'm going to give it to yah any way. LOL

1. Vibration. They need to be on the ground floor or basement. We didn't know this and put ours on the second floor. The whole upstairs shakes on the spin cycle. My cousin got a stacking front loader and dry. They had to build a closet around it to keep it from traveling.

2. Long wash cycles. I takes about 50+minutes. But they hold a lot. Comforters, pillows, couch covers.

3. Don't use powders, they don't mix or dissolve will.

4. Greasy stains. I like using towels and kitchen washcloths to clean with. If I throw the greasy towels in with my clothes. I get grease spots. But if I wash all the towels together in warm water, I don't have a problem. You also have to be careful with cloths that bleed, because there's not that much water to dilute it.

5. I use the HE laundry soap for front loads, 1/2 tablespoon.
I also use white vinegar because it helps wash out soap residue and I read it also helps as a fabric softener.

6. Mold problems. I do leave the door and soap draw open to dry out. I use to drain it when I was done with all the laundry but I was told that wasn't necessary. The repairman (a washer unrelated call) said he had never heard of there being mold problems. I beginning to think this is a myth.

7. I agree, drawers are a waste of money. My husband wonted/got drawers.( I don't know why, he never does the laundry.) Well you can't even use the one under the washer because of the drip pan. That may also add to the vibration problem. Beside I still have to lean over.

But all in all, I like my front load. It saves water and detergent and the cloths seem cleaner.
Old 04-17-2010, 05:32 PM   #17
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Whirlpool Cabrio! No mold issues. Extra rinse option. Auto or choose size of load. Everything gets very clean and dries very fast!

Mine
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 01:41 AM   #18
Official Plant Nerd

Ha ha ha milkweed! You crack me up but I love your spunk and I'm glad you gave it to me anyway!!! My washer isn't going to last forever so I'm going to have to deal with this one of these days.

Tags
appliances, efficient, energy, energy star, front loader, high efficiency, machine, pick, top loader, washing, washing machine