Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > Sustainability

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2009, 09:41 AM   #1
WG Guardian Spirit

Default Wood stove complication

I priced a through-the-wall kit for stovepipe last week, and the kit cost more than my stove did, almost $400! I'll look elsewhere than the one hardware store I've been to, but I'm unhappy about that. We were thinking of setting up the stove here for backup heat and cooking in case of power outages, but I think we'll rely instead on a kerosene heater and do a little cooking on a propane stove on the deck if things stay disrupted for a long time, or tuna and peanut butter sandwiches if it's short-term. We'll put the stove in the house, but not here for a temporary measure if it's going to cost that much!
JennyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 01:03 PM   #2
WG Facilitator

Yikes! That's pretty steep!
Old 12-08-2009, 01:10 PM   #3
Pope

If you don't feel as though the building inspector needs to see it, you may be able to rig something up yourself. I know that when I was trying to figure out whether my ancient chimney would be able to withstand having a new flue put in, I came across several DIY websites on how to make flues for woodstoves. There are sites where you can order the double-walled flue pipes and joints, etc. A little too scary for me, but someone who is handy and all that probably could do it (the number of sites devoted to it would seem to indicate that, at any rate).
Hedgerowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 01:13 PM   #4
Salamander

JennyC, You might want to look for a reputable woodstove dealer who installs and sells equipment for woodstoves. A through-the-wall kit should not be all that expensive, but it must be a double or triple insulated pipe to meet safety standards. Is your house a single or double story? You will have to run pipe outside, unless you have an existing chimney. Good luck.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:38 PM   #5
WG Guardian Spirit

I've not pursued it further, but I think my next step will be a call or visit to the US Stove outlet where I bought the stove.

We're actually looking at through a window if we do install the stove here. It probably would not meet code, if there were a code here, which there isn't for existing structures. Which means we're on our own for figuring out safety, but we're also talking about backup heat, not main heating. It's not hard to get to the level of safer than an unvented kerosene space heater, our other backup option.

I don't know. I'm going to fill up the kerosene jug in case of ice storms, then if I get time to do the stove right, I will, and if not, we'll just install it in the house when it's built. We bought it for the house anyway.
JennyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:21 PM   #6
Salamander

No matter what your decision Jenny, do not take any shortcut measures to install a woodstove. Do it properly and safely. The last thing you want to have happen is a fire caused by faulty installation. I have been heating solely with a woodstove since 1973. It has provided heat for the house and hot water and cooking surface during power outages. And cutting firewood has become a yearly ritual now shared with sons who also heat with wood.

Tags
complication, stove, wood