Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > Sustainability

LinkBack (4) Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2009, 10:19 AM   #1
WG Staff

earth1 Overpopulation

Overpopulation

Overpopulation
Quote:
The impact on North America’s native species was devastating:...
Quote:
The human population doubled again by 1975, this time taking just 45 years. The rate of extinction also increased. Today’s population stands at 6.8 billion and, if it continues on course...
Quote:
Discussion of overpopulation has become somewhat taboo in the environmental movement. To change this dynamic, more than 200 conservationists and scientists, including the Center for Biological Diversity, pledged during the February 2009 Global Population Speak Out to promote awareness of the problem.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:17 PM   #2
WG Guardian Spirit

This is why my husband and I don't have kids.
JennyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:02 PM   #3
WG Staff

The US has the world’s third-highest population. Our current population exceeds 300M and is projected to grow to 450M mid centruy.

This is a problem.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:12 PM   #4
WG Writer

Me too. I don't have any on purpose. But my each have brothers have 7 or 8 drop out kids. There were 8 kids in our family. So whatever I decided not to do has not had much impact on the universal picture.

The concept of overpopulation has degenerated over my life time. Most young girls today think it is their main purpose in life to pro-create whether they ever get married or not.

Most people don't understand the implications of too many people --- and the garbage they bring with them. And that we may just destroy this planet because there are too many people contributing to its demise.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 11:31 PM   #5
Official Plant Nerd

"This is why my husband and I don't have kids." There are plenty to go around in desperate need of loving parents. You could order a few from DCFS. More people means more resources being consumed. I'm a bad person to comment on this. I'm a proponent of state run free clinics offering vasectomies and tubaligations to anyone who wants them with vending machines filled with prophylactics instead of junk foods and birth control in the water... We're on a colission course with disaster.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:38 AM   #6
WG Writer

I think a basic strategy is the education of women so that they can learn there are more valuable contributions they can make to themselves and to society than procreation. We are not doing that now.
Old 08-28-2009, 06:40 PM   #7
Unicellular Fungi

This is a very timely thread. We do need to do something or our children and grandchildren will not have a quality of life anywhere near what we have.

We need licenses to fish and hunt.
We need licenses to sell liquor and tobacco.
We need a license to own a gun
We need a license to drive a car
We need a license to breed cats and dogs

We don't need a license to breed. Why is that?

I agree having children is a right however it is a right that should be earned or future generations will suffer even more. A limit of two seems more than generous based on the fine fix we've gotten ourselves into. We need to be honest about where we're standing at present. We haven't been able to manage and provide for all the people we have and we don't have the resources or the technology to provide for any more.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:31 PM   #8
WG Facebook Administrator

I wouldn't advocate requiring licenses to breed, but I do think we need to stop subsidizing breeding. When you add up the costs of public education (something approaching $20,000 per child per year in many places), subsidized tuition at state universities, all the various welfare programs specifically designed for families with kids, the child tax credit, and everything else - breeding is heavily subsidized. And those of us without kids pay the costs - and they are heavy. I've read that 3/4 of property taxes in my area just go to schools - and we pay about $4,200 on a $125,000 house. That's starting to get into serious money!
amelanchier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 07:41 PM   #9
Unicellular Fungi

We can't stop subsidizing in my mind. Innocent children will go without. We need Head Start programming, we need WICS, we need all the assorted welfare programs we have.

I value your posts. How can we stop subsidizing breeding without negatively impacting the children being subsidized? In particular all children of third and fourth generation welfare parents?
Old 08-28-2009, 08:28 PM   #10
WG Writer

I think marriage was supposed to be a license to breed. It doesn't mean that any more. But it used to mean that there was a "bread earner" and someone to see to the care and education of the children. If the bread earner wasn't earning enough bread, proliferation was supposed to stop. Or they would put more water in the soup and everyone would have a smaller crust of bread.

Tags
overpopulation