Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > Sustainability

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2009, 01:59 PM   #11
Carbon

I guess a common problem with invented politically correct terms is that they tend to have rather wide definitions and interpretations. This one makes sense to me:

A popular definition of Sustainability or Sustainable Development, is "to meet the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs," as defined by the Brundtland Commission. Sustainable gardening simply means that you don't use up resources faster than they can be replaced (such as: water, soil, labor, community support/services, etc.).

(from Sustainable organic gardening for food. )

Since artificial plants don't need water or soil or community support I am not using up any of those resources. As I said before, I don't have many options given my space and growing condition to produce these resources, so by using less of them, I am still contributing what I can to sustainability.
Pville Planter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 02:23 PM   #12
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

I could never be in favor of fake plants outside. A neighbor puts some out for some unknown reason. Plastic and silk look fake and outdoors are worse than leaving nature as is. Just my opinion. "Sustainable" applied to fake landscaping is ludicrous.
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 02:44 PM   #13
Grub

Do you think you could give us some pix of your yard and if your subdivision has any special rules on landscapes? I bet some of the people here could come up with some ideas for your yard if they knew the siuation. I think the rock feature is a neat idea, but if you live in one of those areas with "rules" it might not be feasible.
trillium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 03:48 PM   #14
Carbon

Yes, unfortunately we have a rather restrictive home owners association. We also have local government restrictions on water usage.

But that really isn't the issue. I want to have certain plants that don't grow well in my area. To that end, I've decided that artificial versions of these plants are the responsible and eco friendly means of achieving that.

I appreciate your help and suggestions. I am fully aware of what plants are native to my area and I grow a lot of them. I simply also want a few that aren't native to my area.
Old 07-19-2009, 03:50 PM   #15
Unicellular Fungi

My thoughts would be to add some modest ground level water features to barren areas for the little creatures suffering from this drought.
Old 07-19-2009, 03:55 PM   #16
Carbon

We have whole riverbeds that are dry. A modest water feature in my yard would evaporate in 10 minutes. I would be breaking the law to even fill my existing modest bird bath.
Old 07-19-2009, 04:20 PM   #17
Unicellular Fungi

That is so sad. Poor little animals. They're suffering more than we are.
Old 07-19-2009, 04:31 PM   #18
Carbon

I think maybe I need to clarify my original post.

I am not looking for an alternative to using artificial plants in my landscape. This is something I want to try, not something I want to be talked out of. All I was asking for was if any one else had ever tried this and what advice they might have for me based on their experiences.

My error was posting it in the sustainable gardening forum (albeit somewhat tongue in cheek) and possibly posting it on this site at all since it is about wild life gardening.

Except for the two legged human kind, there isn't a lot of wild life in down town Austin and while I love to garden, this particular gardening site may not be a very good fit for me.
Old 07-19-2009, 04:37 PM   #19
Unicellular Fungi

Poor you too. It must be horrible dealing with this drought when you are forced to give up something you obviously love so much.
Old 07-19-2009, 04:47 PM   #20
WG Writer

Pville Planter:

Quote:
My error was posting it in the sustainable gardening forum (albeit somewhat tongue in cheek) and possibly posting it on this site at all since it is about wild life gardening.
Oh I see. It was suposed to be a joke! Well O.K. You got a lot of good advice
anyway.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternative, artificial, plants, sustainable