Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > Sustainability

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2009, 08:50 PM   #11
Heron

The over-use of anti-bacterial everything in the US is the problem. People want to shield their little darlings from every possible thing that could go wrong. And you know what? You can't.
Old 07-18-2009, 07:33 AM   #12
WG Writer

Probiotics: Can Bacteria Be Good for You? - Associated Content

Quote:
Quote:

Many people have become increasingly aware of the beneficial effect of probiotics when taken with antibiotics. Most antibiotics upset the delicate balance of microorganisms in the body, killing many of the good bacteria, along with the bad. This results in abnormal flora in the intestines, which may lead to diarrhea. Probiotics can help prevent this type of intestinal upset. Some physicians suggest taking a probiotic, during the course of prescribed antibiotics, and for several days afterward. Others feel that in order to eradicate the bad bacteria, and to build up the healthy bacteria, probiotics should be taken for a period of six months after an antibiotic regimen.

Many women have found the good bacteria to be very effective in preventing yeast infections. Probiotics have also been useful in the prevention of relapses of Clostridium Difficile, a dangerous and sometimes deadly colitis, caused by antibiotic overuse. Common traveler's diarrhea may be inhibited by certain types of good bacteria. Studies are also being done to see if probiotics may be helpful in the treatment of irritable bowel syndrome, Crohn's disease, lactose intolerance, and other forms of inflammatory bowel disease.

Probiotics were readily available in traditional diets through the dirt adhering to vegetables. Now some preparations are extracted from soil and sold as supplements to replace the lack of dirt in modern diets.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 06:00 PM   #13
Heron

My son is notorious for eating dirty vegetables strait from the garden. When I told my mother about it, she said It wont hurt him. The old timers use to say you should eat a peck of dirt before you die.

My son is the healthiest kid or person I know. Everyone around him can get sick and he never catches it.

I grew up on a dairy farm. We where around cow manure all the time. Cows don't wait for you to leave to poop. And of coarse we cleaned the parlor and the stalls, then spread the manure on the fields. I don't remember have even heard of E. coli then, much less anyone getting sick.

I just wonder what they're feeding those E.coli cows?
Old 07-18-2009, 06:10 PM   #14
Heron

* a peck is a quarter of a bushel
Old 07-18-2009, 07:49 PM   #15
WG Writer

Waw! That's a lot of dirt!
Old 07-18-2009, 07:58 PM   #16
WG Writer

Probiotic Dirt? Healthy Dirt? Yes, We Need Dirt! We Must Have Probiotics!

a quarter of a bushel is a LOT of dirt. Well I guess you weren't supposed to eat it all at one time.

Quote:
I mean, I was shocked to learn that there was actually a reason why those kids who always played in the dirt seemed to stay well, while our kids -- who we kept inside and "clean" -- were always getting sick.

Who knew?!
You see, all three of our kids grew up on Amoxicillin (an antibiotic used to fight infections). This constant antibiotic approach literally wipes out nearly all of the bacteria in the gut, good and bad.
Since the body needs nearly 10 x's as much new "good" bacteria to return to normal, this actually promotes the repopulation of "new" bad bacteria!

It seems our overly sterile environment has actually
weakened our immune systems
Here's why:
The intestinal tract has billions of bacteria and other microorganisms at any given time....

....that's the way it's supposed to be -- as long as it's mainly
good bacteria that dominates.

"GOOD" bacteria? I grew up thinking all bacteria was bad. (Well, I also grew up thinking flouride was "good," too.)
The truth is, friendly bacteria is absolutely necessary for good health.
You see, it's the good bacteria that attacks foreign subtances and cells and increases the level of interferons -- a powerful immunity-boosting chemical.
It's these beneficial probiotic bacteria in the environment that you need for your first line of immunity defense against unfriendly bacteria and fungi.

It's only when the unfriendly bacteria starts to grow beyond its healthy ratio to good bacteria (approx. 85% good / 15% bad) that we have a problem needing additional antibiotics.

It turns out, if a child is deprived of early exposure to these soil organisms, this may actually cause future overreaction immune responses to benign intruders -- which translated means: getting sick way to easy.

Solution --
No! you don't have to eat dirt --
(thank goodness).
Actually, you can start a diet of probiotic-rich cultured or fermented foods (such as yogurt or sauerkraut) --
-- or you can take supplementation with living HSO's.
Or, you could just eat dirt! But apparently healthy dirt is hard to find.

If its over-cropped it still would not have the probiotics in it that you need to stay healthy.
Old 07-18-2009, 09:29 PM   #17
Official Plant Nerd

Say whaaaaaaaa? I wasn't supposed to eat a peck of dirt in one sitting? Nobody told me! Maybe that's why I was so sick. I'm convinced. It must have been the peck of DIY probiotics I ate. Seriously, we've gone a tad overboard with sanitization. I'm with milkweed on this one. Our kids went swimming in... gasp... natural ponds that had... gasp... no chlorine in them. They used door knobs that weren't sprayed with lysol and washed their hands and bodies with soaps that weren't anti-bacterial. They slept with dogs that hadn't had a bath in a month. They dropped their food and lived by the 10 second rule. They had contests to see who could eat the most worms... they survived.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:20 AM   #18
Grub

Moving from reliance on crude oil to crude soil...not bad
gbreadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 09:54 AM   #19
WG Writer

Im sure the cow ponds at home that we swam in must have been full of pro-biotics. They were full of leaches. Didn't stop us from swimming there though. We just pulled off the leaches when we got out of the pond.
Old 07-19-2009, 01:23 PM   #20
Heron

Quote:
you can start a diet of probiotic-rich cultured or fermented foods (such as yogurt or sauerkraut)
We eat plenty of these too. He eats a lot more dirt than I do. But I have been know to eat green beans and spinach out of the garden w/o washing. Gasp
Don't try this with store bought!

Tags
day, ruin