Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > Sustainability

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2009, 06:23 PM   #1
WG Writer

Default A timely garden book from Mother Earth News

Amazon.com: Gardening When It Counts: Growing Food in Hard Times (Mother Earth News Wiser Living Series): Steve Solomon: Books

I just noticed this book by Steve Solomon is on sale at Amazon. A great stimulus for new gardeners to get started to growing their own food.

Editorial Review

Quote:
The decline of cheap oil is inspiring increasing numbers of North Americans to achieve some measure of backyard food self-sufficiency. In hard times, the family can be greatly helped by growing a highly productive food garden, requiring little cash outlay or watering.
Currently popular intensive vegetable gardening methods are largely inappropriate to this new circumstance. Crowded raised beds require high inputs of water, fertility and organic matter, and demand large amounts of human time and effort. But, except for labor, these inputs depend on the price of oil. Prior to the 1970s, North American home food growing used more land with less labor, with wider plant spacing, with less or no irrigation, and all done with sharp hand tools. But these sustainable systems have been largely forgotten. Gardening When It Counts helps readers rediscover traditional low-input gardening methods to produce healthy food.
Designed for readers with no experience and applicable to most areas in the English-speaking world except the tropics and hot deserts, this book shows that any family with access to 3-5,000 sq. ft. of garden land can halve their food costs using a growing system requiring just the odd bucketful of household waste water, perhaps two hundred dollars worth of hand tools, and about the same amount spent on supplies - working an average of two hours a day during the growing season.
Steve Solomon is a well-known west coast gardener and author of five previous books, including Growing Vegetables West of the Cascades which has appeared in five editions.

About the Author
Steve Solomon is a well-known west coast gardening guru, and author of five previous books. The founder of Territorial Seed Company, he has taught Master Gardener and Urban Farm classes at the University of Oregon in Eugene. His book, Growing Vegetables West of the Cascades has appeared in five editions.

Last edited by Cirsium; 07-31-2010 at 11:58 PM. Reason: Repaired link
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 08:27 AM   #2
WG Guardian Spirit

That is interesting. The blurb suggests that high-intensity gardening is expensive and labor-intensive, though? I wouldn't think so. I guess it takes more planning, but I know it takes less weeding.
JennyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 12:56 AM   #3
Fox

I've added the book Gardening When It Counts to the WG library bookshelf. The thread is here:
http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/for...html#post29925

If anyone has read this book and has a free moment, could you please drop into the library and let us know what you thought of it?

Thanks!

Calliandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 10:44 PM   #4
Official Plant Nerd

hazelnut! You have to part with more info on this book.
Old 07-18-2009, 07:16 AM   #5
WG Writer

O.K. I added the editorial review. The book is designed to encourage first time gardeners to grow some of their own food to relieve the economic crunch.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 10:06 AM   #6
WG Staff

Did you click "Post Quick Reply" or "Submit Reply" when you created your review?
No review is appearing.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:57 PM   #7
WG Facilitator

It's also on Overstock.com for $12 with $3 shipping for your total order.
Gardening When It Counts | Overstock.com

Tags
book, earth, garden, mother, news, timely