Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > Sustainability

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2009, 08:52 PM   #1
WG Guardian Spirit

Default Treadle power

I bought myself an old Singer Model 66 sewing machine the same day I bought the chickens at Trade Day, but I just got it running tonight. Fully human powered for exercise and resource conservation in one!

Now that I know it works, I have to go clean it thoroughly. I'm about to sneeze my head off -- there was clearly dust up in the works!

Here's a link to a refubishing shop I won't be hiring, since I can clean and oil the thing myself, but the picture's right.
Treadle Machines
JennyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 12:02 AM   #2
WG Operations, Facilitator

JennyC-
When I lived in Mexico, LOTS of people sewed and most used the treadle machines. Most people couldn't afford the fancy new sewing machines nor the electricity to run them. I really enjoyed going to the fabric stores in Mexico because the fabric was inexpensive and there was LOTS of it.

Do you sew very much?

BooBooBearBecky
Old 07-03-2009, 09:36 AM   #3
WG Guardian Spirit

Hi, Becky,

I don't sew nearly enough to justify the three sewing machines I now own! I'm going to try and do more. After I posted last night, I went back to the machine and discovered I'm going to need a lot more practice -- I kept making the fabric go the wrong way!

I got curious and looked up treadles, and I found tons of old farm equipment that was treadle powered. The funniest was a sheep shearer; that HAD to be a two-person job!
Old 07-03-2009, 01:00 PM   #4

JennyC-
Well your treadle sewing machine sounds like a fun project!

Since you posted this under the "Sustainable Alternatives Forum," I'd like to tell you about a sewing project that's been fascinating for me the last few years.

I've been refashioning and sewing new clothes and household items out of old clothes and old household items. The fabric stores are so over priced these days. I've found a treasure trove of fabric in stores like Good Will and other second hand stores. It's been a great winter activity for me.

I have 2 sewing machines, so don't feel guilty about your 3 machines.

During the summer, my priority is gardening and being outdoors, but I'd like to revisit this topic further this winter and share and exchange ideas about thrifty ways to use our sewing machines.

BooBooBearBecky
Old 07-03-2009, 02:28 PM   #5
WG Guardian Spirit

That's cool, Becky. I can't say I do a lot of refashioning, but I do save great piles of things to be refashioned!

I also look for fabric in the form of clothes at thrift stores. Buttons, too.
Old 07-03-2009, 08:52 PM   #6
Salamander

That looks like the same one I have JennyC. We had one when I was a kid and that's what I learned to sew on. My current one needs refurbishing but I just haven't had time to do it. You used to be able to go to the Singer site and put in the serial number and it would tell you what year your machine was made. Don't know if you still can or not.
Old 07-03-2009, 09:25 PM   #7
WG Facilitator

I had a sewing machine that I bought second hand when I was in high school with money I made sewing raggedy ann dolls. I finally got rid of it a few years ago. Haven't done much sewing lately, but I do have something cut out and ready to sew. The gardens have been taking any free time I manage to find.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:27 PM   #8
WG Guardian Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im4dabirds View Post
That looks like the same one I have JennyC. We had one when I was a kid and that's what I learned to sew on. My current one needs refurbishing but I just haven't had time to do it. You used to be able to go to the Singer site and put in the serial number and it would tell you what year your machine was made. Don't know if you still can or not.
You still can; mine was made in 1924.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:02 AM   #9
Official Plant Nerd

Treadle machines sew jeans material better than the top of the line sewing machines like Bernina and White. They're jeans needles are worthless. They almost make it so you have to buy a quilting machine and a serger to be able to hem jeans or repair zippers unless you inherit or buy an old faithful machine. My treadle machine bit the dust when our basement flooded. Now I have to take jeans in to be hemmed. I will admit to collecting fabric. I sometimes buy it and don't have anything in mind to make when I buy it. Fabric is second only to plants. When I die somebody is going to have a lot of fabirc to go through. I can't part with it. The colors... the texture... the patterns...
Equilibrium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 02:11 AM   #10

E-
You need a "hump jumper" or a "jean-a-ma-jig" to get over those thick denim seams with even machine stitches.

Here's are some links describing each of these sewing tools:

jean-a-ma-jig

hump jumper

I agree Equilibrium:
Quote:
Fabric is second only to plants.
I enjoy collecting interesting fabrics, soft textures, and fabrics with "staying power," and those with unusual designs, etc. I store all my fabrics, and used clothing items to be used for fabrics in a closet. When I open up the closet after winter sets in to begin my sewing projects, I often find I have accumlated waaaaay to much. I forgive myself for fabric hoarding as all the fabrics I have accumulated are on sale or from thrift stores.

I like to make my own patterns or trace patterns from used clothing items that have been well loved, but need to retire.

This is so cool that JennyC created this thread for us to share sewing ideas.

BooBooBearBecky

Tags
power, treadle