Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > Sustainability

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2009, 07:24 AM   #11
WG Guardian Spirit

Heh. Glad to be of service
JennyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 07:29 AM   #12
WG Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooBooBearBecky View Post
You need a "hump jumper" or a "jean-a-ma-jig" to get over those thick denim seams with even machine stitches.
I didn't know they made those! Neat tools.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:29 PM   #13
Salamander

I also like the hump jumper.
My treadle is a White. She's been just sitting in the corner as decoration for the last few years. Should pull her out this winter and get reacquainted.
NEBogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 10:44 PM   #14
Official Plant Nerd

I think I've seen hump jumpers befrore in notions departments. I didn't know what it was. I do have a serger that takes care of hemming jeans well enough... sergers don't do zippers. I'll remember to pick one of these up. I couldn't find the thread where you told me to buy camphor for my chipmunk problems but... I bought Camphor-phenique. Will that work or do I need to return it and find the oil?
Old 07-07-2009, 12:47 AM   #15
WG Operations, Facilitator

Hey E-

I have jean-a-ma-jig and it works just great. It only cost a few dollars. I sew with a Pfaff and it's a very nice machine. It just can't handle those big bumpy jean seams though. My 30 year old Singer would have zoomed right over it. I swear I could mow the lawn with that old Singer sewing machine. When it finally went kaput, I decided it was time for a new machine. I was living in Mexico at the time and I had to "smuggle" my new Pfaff across the border from the U.S. to Mexico. I had the old Singer repaired, and slapped a big red bow on it and gave it to my housekeeper. She was thrilled.

Here's the link to the thread about the camphor oil as a deterrent for keeping small critters out of your potted plants. I think Campho-Phenique would work fine. It's the smell that repels them.

Camphor Oil

BooBooBearBecky
Old 07-09-2009, 01:55 AM   #16
Official Plant Nerd

I'll go with the product I bought. I can buy the oil when I run out. The stuff does smell bad.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:45 AM   #17
WG Guardian Spirit

Do you think Campho-Pheniqe would work on Great Danes?
JennyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 03:25 PM   #18
Salamander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
Treadle machines sew jeans material better than the top of the line sewing machines like Bernina and White. They're jeans needles are worthless. They almost make it so you have to buy a quilting machine and a serger to be able to hem jeans or repair zippers unless you inherit or buy an old faithful machine. My treadle machine bit the dust when our basement flooded. Now I have to take jeans in to be hemmed. I will admit to collecting fabric. I sometimes buy it and don't have anything in mind to make when I buy it. Fabric is second only to plants. When I die somebody is going to have a lot of fabirc to go through. I can't part with it. The colors... the texture... the patterns...
Me too, totes full of fabrics but no time to use them. LOL

I've got one of those jean a ma jigs. Actually works, but it's a pain. The treadle machine is easier.

Gonna have to try the camphor. Chipmunks, not dogs. My dogs don't bother the potted plants.... unless the chipmunk has been in there and buried something. Duh
Old 07-09-2009, 06:03 PM   #19
Salamander

Anyone hear of the saying "whoever dies with the most fabric is the winner"?
NEBogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 11:40 PM   #20
Official Plant Nerd

Nope. Never heard of that. I did hear that the person who died with the most trees won before.

Tags
power, treadle