Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > Sustainability

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2009, 12:33 PM   #1
Unicellular Fungi

Default Sugar is back on label as selling point

Sugar is back on label as selling point
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/21/dining/21sugar.html
Quote:
Blamed for hyperactivity in children and studied as an addictive substance, sugar has had its share of image problems. But the widespread criticism of high-fructose corn syrup the first lady, Michelle Obama, has said she will not give her children products made with it has made sugar look good by comparison.
Most scientists do not share the perception. Though research is still under way, many nutrition and obesity experts say sugar and high-fructose corn syrup are equally bad in excess. But, as is often the case with competing food claims, the battle is as much about marketing as it is about science.
Some shoppers prefer cane or beet sugar because it is less processed. High-fructose corn syrup is produced by a complex series of chemical reactions that includes the use of three enzymes and caustic soda.
Others see the pervasiveness of the inexpensive sweetener as a symbol of the ill effects of government subsidies given to large agribusiness interests like corn growers.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:36 PM   #2
WG Writer

There is still a huge difference between the sugar on the label - usually processed white sugar - and natural sugar.

Muscovado sugar, natural sugar Wilderness Family

Its still not the real thing. Its a whole lot better than high fructose corn syrup though that is a manufactured synthetic product usually made from GMO corn. It doesn't even metabolize like a normal carbohydrate in the body.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 07:15 PM   #3
Grub

I didn't understand the danger of excess sugar until I was in my 20's...when people started saying words like "diabetes" I quickly started paying attention to the intake. I knew fat and cholesterol were "bad", but never took a second thought about lots of sugar.

This country just doesn't tell people enough about the seriousness of a bad diet.

Dan
gbreadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 07:52 AM   #4
WG Writer

gbreadman. I think you are right about that. It used to be that we had "home economics" in high school and even boys were required to attend basic nutrition classes. Now - a - days [I always hated when my elders said that!] the food industry seems to think its all right to strip the vitamins and fiber out of food and put back in a sample and call the food "enriched".

Its no wonder more and more people are becoming diabetic and younger and younger ages. Diabetics need a very high fiber and nutrient rich diet - the way food was before it was messed with.

Prevention Magazine is now promoting what they call their DTour Diet - which is essentially a food awareness program. They claim that it can prevent or reverse diabetes.

Videos____
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 11:34 AM   #5
Official Plant Nerd

So many people I know have diabetes. So many children are obese. It's like an epedemic.

Tags
back, label, point, selling, sugar