Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > Sustainability

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2020, 08:24 AM   #11
Hippie Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Took a drive in the woods yesterday and scared up a black bear and her cub!
She scurried on out while the cub climbed up the tree in a scritchy scratchy hurry. It was sooooo tiny! What a sight to see. We watched for quite some time then kept on going. Upon our retreat we saw the sow once again ( I'm assuming) leading the little one through the brush as it was no longer in the tree.
Cool sighting! We've only seen a bear once while driving through the UP. Saw a wolf once, near Baraga. Never seen a moose up there.
Old 07-23-2020, 08:27 AM   #12
Hippie Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
Sometimes looking for any semblance of a silver lining to the current crisis is well nigh impossible to find, but today I read about one...
https://www.theguardian.com/environm...ign=GreenLight
A silver lining, indeed. My daughter and son-in-law noted the same in Yellowstone. The road through the Lamar Valley remained open because it's the only way to Cooke City. It was open for driving, but no stopping allowed. The animals got to enjoy a few extra weeks of peace and quiet.
Old 07-23-2020, 08:30 AM   #13
Hippie Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
Hopefully, this respite for wildlife did them some good...and the Earth as a whole, too--I'm sure it did.

Although it was never really on my list of places to visit, the views (especially of the coyote with waterfall in the background) make me want to see it. The idea of bumper to bumper traffic makes me want to skip it...that and the idea of not wanting to contribute to the disruption of wildlife.
We visited Yosemite in the early 1980's and then again in the early 2000's. What a difference 20'ish years made! SO many people. SO much smog. The views from Tioga Rd were still beautiful, but much different than in the '80's. I'm glad we went, but we won't be going back again.
Old 07-23-2020, 08:23 PM   #14
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

I'm glad I grew up when I did without the ramps and barriers they have around things now. They spoil the view. I often times wished I hadn't gone back to a favorite sight when I see all the fences helping and guiding you along

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
closings, park, wildlife