Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > Sustainability

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2020, 10:49 AM   #11
Rock Star

I didn't realize Peter Wohlleben had written other books, katjh. Thanks for the information, I'll see if the library has them. It looks like he wrote one on weather too.

I did buy the trees book for someone as a gift .
will-o-wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 12:28 PM   #12
Hippie Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by will-o-wisp View Post
I didn't realize Peter Wohlleben had written other books, katjh. Thanks for the information, I'll see if the library has them. It looks like he wrote one on weather too.

I did buy the trees book for someone as a gift .
I really like his writing. I'll look for the weather one. When I find books like these, I end up purchasing them because I know my daughter will want to borrow them when I'm finished reading them...and then her hubby will want to read them...and then one of my sons will as well. The find their way back to me eventually .
Old 01-22-2020, 09:27 AM   #13
Grub

One of these Peter Wohlleben books was mentioned on a reddit science thread, it was entertaining watching the neuroscientists argue that plants can't truly experience human-like feelings. I guess they were opposed to the anthropomorphism of plants. On the other hand a very good neuroscientist, Donald Hoffman, points out nobody really has concrete proof of what creates feelings and consciousness. Yes scientists have identified all the nerves, stimuli, and different brain structures involved, but there's a lot of unexplained phenomena behind going from an excited neuron to vision, to thinking about that vision. Who's to say how a plant feels.
skip1909 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
intelligence, trees