Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > Sustainability

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2016, 10:28 AM   #1
Great Horned Owl

Default "Before the Flood"

Whatever one's opinion on global warming and its cause, the newly released National Geographic documentary produced by Leonardo DiCaprio and distributed by National Geographic for free on all major media sites is well worth watching. Decisions on these issues must, ultimately, be made individually , and that can only happen adequately through examining closely the facts surrounding the issue.

Before the Flood - National Geographic Channel

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 06:35 PM   #2
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Thank you for sharing this with the site.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 10:10 AM   #3
Great Horned Owl

Glad you liked it, Dap. Did you get a chance to view it, and , if so, what did you think of it?

For others who may be interested, and I fail to understand how anyone couldn't be, it's free on National Geographic, which comes up first when one googles "Before the Flood." It's also free on you tube and Netflix and other sites.

Oracle at Delphi
Old 11-07-2016, 10:06 PM   #4
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

I have yet to watch it.

My unfortunate obsession with the election has been quite time consuming.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 09:49 AM   #5
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

I watched it.
I know Leonardo is all out for saving the planet and all YEY!!!! but to me the movie just appeared so so ......

Sure....He was able to go to all of these places, view the different elements challenging the earth, and talk to some pretty prestige people but it didn't appear as if some of the people he spoke with took him very serious. Maybe due to his young age yet.... He sometimes agreed with statements they made yet his facial expressions read otherwise.

All in all though....
I think this movie will make a difference....Leave a footprint for people to think about. Get people to make more earth friendly choices.
It will....produce change.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 08:52 PM   #6
Great Horned Owl

I don't know about your assertion that others in the film didn't take DiCaprio seriously, but I hope you're right that it will bring change, as that was the hope behind the making of the film.

I thought DiCaprio was superb, but that's why they make both vanilla and chocolate, ha ha...

Oracle at Delphi
Old 11-14-2016, 08:47 PM   #7
Hippie Gardener

Thanks for suggesting this, Jack. I finally had time to sit and watch it. I enjoyed it, although the footage of clear cuts and mines and such always makes me very sad. I hope it does bring change.
Old 12-06-2016, 07:23 PM   #8
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

So far the mine project here is still on hold but I highly suspect the big boys will eventually get the go to go through with it in the end

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 09:03 PM   #9
Hippie Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
So far the mine project here is still on hold but I highly suspect the big boys will eventually get the go to go through with it in the end
I hate to say it....but I think you are correct, Hava. The big boys with the deep pockets always seem to get their way in the end. They have NO care or concern for the mess they will likely leave in their wake, after they've extracted everything they want. I have a cousin in Big Bay that fought hard against the mine there. They are so afraid it will pollute the water. Mining is a short term employment opportunity. Tourism has been part of the economy in the UP for many, many years. If the water and the land are destroyed by mining, tourism will be lost. Makes me sad and angry to think about it. And those danged mines are often owned by out of state or foreign companies. They have no concern for what they will leave behind.

Tags
before the flood