Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > Sustainability

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2013, 05:18 PM   #1
WG Staff

Thumbs up Connecticut becomes first state to require labeling of GMO's

Connecticut becomes first state to require labeling of GMO's
Posted: Dec 11, 2013 1:30 PM CST
Updated: Dec 11, 2013 4:30 PM CST
By Steven Yablonski, Managing Editor
By Susan Raff
By Joseph Wenzel IV, News Editor

Connecticut becomes first state to require labeling of GMO's - WFSB 3 Connecticut
excerpta from above:
Quote:
Connecticut has become a pioneer in food labeling as it is the first state to pass legislation to make companies say if their products contain genetically modified organisms or GMOs.
Quote:
Gov. Dannel Malloy held a ceremonial bill signing in Fairfield on Wednesday to commemorate a bill that requires certain foods intended for humans to be clearly marked that it is entirely or partially genetically engineered.

"People need to demand...
Old 12-12-2013, 09:25 PM   #2
Fox

Wow, finally, oh boy, after the GMO labeling defeat in CA & WA it is easier for me to become absolutely thrilled by this news from CT and for every additional state that approves GMO labeling as law.

ww
Old 12-15-2013, 02:50 AM   #3
Official Plant Nerd

In my dreams would this be the "real" deal. Political posturing.... that's all it is. The law.... if you want to call it that... doesn't go into effect unless 3 other "neighboring" states pass similar laws.

adding something.... I sorta got it right.... not 3 neighboring states but 4 other NE states, http://www.blacklistednews.com/Hopes...38/38/Y/M.html,
"There was, however, one major caveat.In order for the law to be enacted, at least four other Northeastern states, together totaling a population of over 20 million people, must enact similar GMO laws. This clause, according to the Danbury Daily Voice, was included to help local farmers "by ensuring regional adoption of the new labeling system before requiring local farms to analyze and label genetically engineered products."
--
There aren't too many NE states. What do you think the odds are of NH, MA, RI, NY, PA or NJ passing "similar" laws considering the politicians BigBiotech bought and the war chest at its disposal? If BigBiotech had felt threatened by the little horse and pony show going on in CT.... it woulda already taken the offensive and started an advertising blitz the likes of what we saw in CA and WA.

Last edited by Equilibrium; 12-15-2013 at 03:07 AM. Reason: adding a link
Equilibrium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 02:30 PM   #4
Fox

pawprint Hug a tree today, even if it doesn't seem popular :P

Yes, all the states of the region (4 states total) must all pass the labeling law, in order for any of it to become effective...I caught that from the first article posted, tyvm.

From the original article: "In addition, a combination of northeastern states with a combined population of at least 20 million, including Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey, must adopt similar laws."

Which somehow lists 8 other states and CT. Whatever...3, 4, or 8 more states or 20 million people to join in the labeling law effort should be easily done now that CT has proven thru bravery, common sense, and a reluctance to be buffaloed by every greedy Tom, Dick, & Harry politician for sale. LOL

So I'm happy & proud of CT demanding a modern GMO labeling law. And thanks to you Equilibrium, after reading your article you sighted, I may now say: I am also very happy & proud of Maine, for already passing their own modern GMO labeling law! ~~~so double hockey yippie to you!~~~hahaha

This NE region is vitally important because 80% of all transported produce traffic not only goes into, but also processed, and shipped out of this highly populated NE regional area. That is a big deal, and I would say a necessary 'check' on the Monsantos, Nestles, & Coca Colas that are absolutely determined to kill the environments with their mass consumption products that are managed with some down right deadly practices that do not happily support the environments. Consider the plastic bottle packaging alone... these corporate leaders insist upon...fossil fuel direct, PLASTIC.

I may be some lone jive turkey living in the sticks, but I'm not happy with the wasteful, overconsumption that the government seems to wholeheartedly legislate as their only resolve in the face of human over population, massive resource depletion, ...it is like the current laws of this land by and large have determined waste is not even worth bothering with. Cash over breathing. Cash over eating. Cash over drinking. Cash over earthquakes. Cash over Hurricanes.

I believe there is a price for NOT having a GMO labeling law, that price is connected every time you eat something that wasn't grown in your local region. We must change the way our laws are intended and begin to consider the environment.

ww
Old 12-16-2013, 11:17 AM   #5
Official Plant Nerd

I didn't include Maine as 1 of the states that CT could "count on" because Maine's law hinges on a similar law passing in New Hampshire, 'Maine Passes Second GMO Label Law in U.S.', Maine Passes Second GMO Label Law in U.S. — Oregon Tilth, "For Maine, that means the GMO labeling will only go into effect if New Hampshire, the only state with which it shares a boarder, passes a similar law.”
--
New Hampshire was in the "running" for a labeling law.... or so their people were led to believe... 'Committee votes to not recommend GMO labeling bill in New Hampshire', Committee votes to not recommend GMO labeling bill in New Hampshire | WireNH, “A legislative committee is recommending that New Hampshire lawmakers vote against a bill that would require labels for genetically modified foods. The House Environment and Agriculture committee recommended the full House of Representatives kill the bill, HB 660, with a vote of 12-8. The full House is slated to vote on the bill during the next legislative session, sometime in January or February, according to Maureen Mann, D-Deerfield, the bill’s sponsor.” I’m pretty sure any labeling bill is dead in the water… they’re taking the stance that this is a Federal issue. But…. I ‘spose we’ll be able to learn whether NH Democrats will align with their constituents or their “partners” and “stakeholders” soon enough being as how Jan and Feb are right around the corner.
--
I suspect Vermont is completely out of the running… "Monsanto has threatened to sue states that pass similar labeling laws, which is one reason why lawmakers in several states are passing labeling legislation dependent on other states doing the same. The state compacts could help defray costs of a lawsuit." That’s a huge obstacle to overcome because fear and intimidation are extremely powerful tools and BigBiotech mastered the use of them long ago. I believe it was Con-Agra that threatened Vermont with a lawsuit 1st and VT just doesn’t have the resources to defend itself against the likes of Con-Agra so my bet it…. they’ll just “sit this round out” because Monsanto threatened them too, 'Monsanto Threatens To Sue Vermont If GMO Labeling Bill Passes', Monsanto Threatens To Sue Vermont If GMO Labeling Bill Passes | Care2 Causes, “Backed by tremendous support from the state’s consumers and food producers, the Vermont Right to Know Genetically Engineered Food Act (H. 722), would make Vermont the first of the United States to require labeling of genetically engineered food: a prospect biotech giant Monsanto finds terrifying. According to a 2010 poll by Reuters and National Public Radio, 93 percent of the American public wants genetically modified food to be labeled.
Although the bill is backed by representative Kate Webb, and was progressing nicely toward passage near the end of March, progress has been halted thanks to Monsanto’s threat of legal action.” My bet…. their house bill will never see the light of day…. their spineless politicians called for more public hearings so the clock would run out… they rolled over…. and…. that pretty much did in any hopes of a food labeling bill passing in VT.
--
So….. we’re left crossing our fingers and toes that ALL 4 of these states…. RI, NY, PA and NJ will pass "similar" laws and I just don’t see it happening. Rhode Island has some pretty restrictive “pre-emptive” laws on the books that do “right” by BigBiotech posing quite the “challenge” to being able to do right by their people. NY insulated itself by allowing the endless debate of the merits of their GMO labeling bill….A 3525-A. Looks like NY is going to take a passive aggressive stance and in doing so…. will protect their BigAg and BigBiotech “partners” and “stakeholders” at the expense of public health. They’ll ride out the storm letting their people “vent” in 1 public hearing after the next…. they’ll let the voices of their people be heard but…. they just won’t “listen”. It’s doubtful PA will pass a “similar” law given they’re home to Penn State and well…. they’ve got millions of acres of GMO corn and soy that BigAg planted in their state because their, “Experts say the use of genetically modified organisms, or GMOs, to alter plants so that they carry specific traits or properties has helped bolster this year's harvest.
“I feel confident in saying that GMOs have played a significant role in achieving these record yields,” said Greg Roth, a professor of agronomy at Penn State University.” They’re up more acreage in GMO crops and they’re sitting at the highest level in the history of their state and they’re not going to be willing to lose the subsidy $s. Defies logic that PA would do anything but go through the motions of introducing similar legislation and even then…. anything they’d do would be for the sake of appearances… if they’d even bother with "appearances" in favor of flat out being obstructive, 'Pa. considers labeling law for genetics that help achieve record yields of corn, soybeans', Pa. considers labeling law for genetics that help achieve record yields of corn, soybeans | TribLIVE. NJ…. that state just might pass something “similar”, JUST SAY “YES!” | GMO Free NJ.... Which would add 1 state of about 8.5 million to the quota set by CT. Sad reality is that the other NE states don’t want to suffer the wrath of BigBiotech and BigFood or…. in PA’s situation…. they’re making too much money off of maintaining the status quo. Which in my peon brain round robins us back to what I originally said which was, “If BigBiotech had felt threatened by the little horse and pony show going on in CT.... it woulda already taken the offensive and started an advertising blitz the likes of what we saw in CA and WA.”
--
And…. none of us should forget this most recent development which in 1 fell swoop “synchronized” the United States with the UN’s Codex Alimentarius…. OBummer signed us on back in June of 2010…. ‘Monsanto's Next Target... Democracy', Monsanto's Next Target - Democracy, “The U.S. government, under massive global pressure, has signed on to the Codex Alimentarius, which serves "as a risk management measure to deal with the scientific uncertainty" associated with genetically engineered foods.” Who woulda thunk he’d sell out Americans and our lands to the UN and the UN’s WHO.
--
And if that wasn’t enough to trash any hopes and dreams we had of GMO labeling…. none of us should forget this most recent development, '5 Appalling Facts About The Monsanto Protection Act Obama Signed Into Law (GMO Heaven)', 5 Appalling Facts About The Monsanto Protection Act Obama Signed Into Law (GMO Heaven) | PlanetSave, Beyond the 5 appalling facts that were listed was this choice little insertion into what he signed, “Hidden Provision (deep into a homeland security section)....Carl Gibson explains the anatomy of this secret slip. “Thanks to Monsanto’s aggressive lobbying, Congress hid a provision deep into a homeland security section of their recently passed budget, by way of a long-winded paragraph loaded with indecipherable legalese.” The legalese, however, has a purpose. It allows the agribusiness giant to plant genetically-modified (GM) crops without judicial review, judicial review aimed at determining whether or not their crops are unsafe. “Essentially, Monsanto bought enough influence to bypass the system of checks and balances.” “Although Obama said in 2007 that he would “immediately” work to label GM foods if elected, Obama in 2012 appointed a Monsanto executive as his administration’s food safety czar.” No wonder the bill slipped in, paving the way for mutant food to hit the grocery store shelves without any obstacles.”
--
Follow the $$$.... the 1% of the 1% of the 1% that control virtually everything…. won’t allow their GMO cash cow to stop “producing” for them.
--
FWIW, "I may be some lone jive turkey living in the sticks, but I'm not happy with the wasteful, overconsumption that the government seems to wholeheartedly legislate as their only resolve"..... you're not the only lone jive turkey who isn't happy about what's being allowed at our expense... count me in. They don't represent us anymore.... they lie and say they do but their actions tell a different story.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:33 PM   #6
Fox

pawprint Sorting out the round robin of Equilibrium

First things first...hehe, Equilibrium your the best, and you know I think highly of you, you know I respect your words, value them even. So you see there is power in your words, as I too have power with words, and that is why I give an encouraging hissboombah~yippie to CT & also ME, for declaring their legal direction requiring GMO labeling by their new state laws. When I spar with you Equilibrium about a subject, you happily surprize me with the sound round robin reasoning that is sometimes overwhelming in depth, and yet I try my darndest to comprehend.

And yet...hahaa, I'm fierce to hang onto my position that the new GMO labeling laws are terribly important to the consumers of this nation and even unto many other nations. This issue requiring GMO labeling laws must be obtained at this time in the USA. The citizenry's voice & practical direction all too often trampled as in the 'mad cow disease' fiasco, or the 'economic bailout', or something as foundational as habeas corpus. So I must say something to encouraged GMO labeling, it is very serious to me, and to the legislators in CT & ME that have already cast their votes.

Now, now Equilibrium that first article from treehugger/Oregon tilth had a very exciting first paragraph, so exciting I shall quote it here: "Maine's state senate easily passed a bill that may one day mandate the labeling of foods containing genetically modified organisms. The law passed 35-0, but before labels are required, five consecutive states must also pass labeling laws." Now 35-0 is a highly confident vote, and even if the law is hitched to surrounding states, the great people of ME are demanding GMO labeling...regardless all the political shenanigans.

These so called 'triggered laws' seem overbearing, possibly illegally redistricting constituency by the nature of such a redistricting or triggered law, unsettlingly linked to the want of the other voters on the far side of the state line. I don't really wonder too much about this 'triggered law set-up' as nothing much surprizes me these days when I hear of it and it boils down in my mind to voter district tampering, and redirecting voters intended directions. For example, if the official voting polls where illegally rigged in one state such as NH, and from that rigged outcome, somehow, someone said 'hey if we only rig one election we can twist the outcome of a 5 state region much larger than just NH, additionally from that one corrupted vote total... redirect the direction of all the voters from surrounding 5 states.

Next item of the round robin...that I should like to address, is this notion that the NH committee has rejected the subcommittee bill, and just for fun, somehow this trigger clause was thrown into HB 660 during committee debate...no doubt another attempt to destroy the merits of GMO labeling of a 5 state region. I heard that the argument being made--(that this is really a Federal matter, and therefore we should not purpose a law)--was not actually discussed until the auditorium was reopened to only pregnant women & little children.

About VT, and 'sitting this one out'...all I will say is this, if I was William Sorrel, a long time Attorney General, there are only 2 outcomes for his office. Either get with it, or get out of the way. One thing is for sure, he won't be alone or somehow in over his head, or have we somehow forgotten that the various AG's from this 5 state region are not daunted by 'to big to fail corporate law firms'.

So...I'm not just left with crossing my fingers and toes, I'm engaging Equilibrium, and others, just as I engage AG Sorrel...either get with it or get out of the way, the issue is simple require GMO labeling or reject it. This issue is absolutely in the state level now. And no one is copping out now just because it is The monstrous Monsanto & The GMA. This is not the west coast, nor the farm belt, this is the highly populated North East, The Great North East Region is going to sign various new laws that redirects food labeling toward responsibly.

wildwatcher
Old 12-17-2013, 12:35 AM   #7
Official Plant Nerd

It'd sure be nice if you were right and I was 100% wrong.
--
Since there's nothing I can do about what goes on in those states.... I think I'll just keep plugging along growing and raising an increasing amount of our own food and buying as much organic as I can afford to buy. No matter what happens in those states.... I still have my dollar. The more little people out there doing what I'm doing.... the more it cuts into BigBiotech and BigAg's pockets. Little strokes fell great oaks.....
Old 12-17-2013, 11:10 AM   #8
WG's Mr. Tomato Head

Heads up people-

Trans-Pacific Partnership Breaks Down Sovereignty and GMO Protections | Truthstream Media

The Trans Pacific Trade agreement would likely reverse any/all efforts to regulate and label GM foods. If passed; local & state laws would be trumped.
"If gardening isn't a pleasure for you, chances are the work will merely give you a rotten disposition. If you'd rather be golfing or fishing, get a bumper sticker that says so, and forget gardening."
Elsa Bakalar
WG Admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 12:58 PM   #9
Fox

pawprint Sometimes I just C+P an email...yanno so I don't have to think too much LOL

Hey Stacy, here is a wild idea for the GMO-labeling effort:

~Legal language that ties GMO-labeling, to specific product measurement.~

I know, wayyyyyyy out there in left field,... but because there is staunch opposition to the GMO-labeling effort, the idea is to physically show that any product containing GMO ingredients must be a reportable quantity whenever the new GMO-labeling legal standard is established.

To be brief, it could be much like the legal language that supports the packaging, handling, & transportation of HM, Hazmat Materials~~~the only difference would be to require any GMO product (in reportable quantities) to become labeled & handled in a fashion somewhat similar to the HM example.

When dealing with HM ingredients the substance (for example Propane), there historically & currently exists a huge amount of government regulation for packaging, handling, storage, & transportation of such a substance. The labeling of such a HM product is 'the first line of defense' generally to provide public safety, as a product moves thru the industrial systems.

I believe GMO products might also be considered in a similar fashion that HM products already have been identified & handled...with extensive local, state, federal, & international legal language that describes, packaging, labeling, storage, & transportation. The legal language of HM regulations extends in every sector of an HM product, from manufacture, use, disposal, accident, and other levels which require special permitting for example.

How about another legal direction to demand GMO-labeling

And much like alcohol & tobacco are regulated & require permitting to transport from one state to another, and often township permit required to simply transport thru a 'permit required area'. Perhaps the wild idea is a 'GMO product permit requirement' legal language that will support our GMO-labeling position to stop, hinder, or at least identify GMO product.

I hope you can see the similarities I'm trying to show between GMO product & HM product. I'm telling you Stacy because perhaps you can use this wild idea to stimulate those at the upcoming conference, I'm hoping that GMO is considered much like a Hazardous Material, and in that light, perhaps other legal conclusions shall come forth in our fight to demand GMO-labeling thru law.

It's a free idea, I pass along to you because I was in the trucking industry and often encountered such HM materials...and I was just hoping someone in a leadership role (like you Stacy) might pick up on this angle...but when I search "GMO labeling measurement quantity" no one seems to be making this argument on the internet.

Much like HM, alcohol, or tobacco product is managed in specific ways it could be possible to demand the same management for GMO product. By the way, all those HM, alcohol, or tobacco regulations demand by law...gain revenue thru the regulatory agencies thereby driving the cost of regulated product slightly up. I think it is important to recognize the GMO product has been around for a while now and probably isn't going quietly into the night...so why not put a reasonable price upon it's head in a way that legislators might understand.

ww
Old 01-28-2014, 05:14 AM   #10
Fox

A webinar, (free for today when you register) Jan. 28, has several vimeos from a GMO-labeling perspective over at: GMOs: What You Need to Know

ww

Tags
connecticut, gmo, labeling, require, state