Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > Sustainability

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2013, 04:04 PM   #21
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelnut View Post
Poison ivy remedy?

Photos from Wildman:

Jewelweed
From Poison Oak and Poison Ivy Dermatitis :

Quote:
Jewelweed (Impatiens capensis) is the most popular herbal treatment for poison oak/poison ivy dermatitis.1 2 It is widely believed that rubbing jewelweed on the exposed area within 15 minutes of exposure may prevent the rash by binding the resin. Custom advises crushing a few of the succulent leaves and stems and rubbing them on affected skin, or crushing and soaking the leaves in water and then bathing the area with the leaf-soaked water. However, most scientific studies have found jewelweed to be ineffective in treating poison oak/ivy dermatitis.3 4 5 6 Nevertheless, the efficacy of the plant continues to be supported by numerous testimonials and anecdotal reports, and is recommended in several classic botanical reference guides.7 8 9 10
I would like for it to be true, but there are sites out there that say there is little or no scientific evidence for it.

I used to never get poison ivy, but a few years ago I did get a pretty bad case, so I guess I am now susceptible. I remember trying the jewelweed treatment to no effect, however, it may have been after the rash had appeared.

After discovering that I'm no longer immune, I read that before washing with soap, one should wash with rubbing alcohol to remove the oil that soap alone would just spread across a larger area. I tried that (first rubbing alcohol the with soap) after being exposed at our friends' house...and I never got the rash. Whew!
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~

Last edited by dapjwy; 02-12-2013 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Clarifying
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:54 PM   #22
WG Writer

I have always been immune to poison ivy until I moved to Alabama and found it growing on my own property. Scrubbing with soap if there is any contact helps.

And don't pet the dog after he has walked through ivy! I have had poison ivy oils on the dogs leash and contracted the ivy rash the next day after handling the leash.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:50 PM   #23
Heron

I am not allergic to it either. I have found myself having to walk through it barefooted. Or sometimes I find the sorry stuff growing up in my flower bed and I still pull it up even though I have no gloves.

But I am well aware that to be in contact with it is too become eventually allergic to it. I don't touch my face until I get in the house and pour bleach on the exposed area. (learned this from my son that is extremely allergic to it) I then rinse the bleach off with water. It is slippery and I wash until the slipper is all gone.
The bleach takes all oil off.

I guess alcohol would work too - but I am not taking any chances!

Speaking of bleach and stripping all the oil including the oil of the poison ivy -- lye soap before it is super fatted will do that too. I have it just waiting for my two men who are very allergic to poison ivy.

Another reason to make your own soap -- and that is to NOT superfat it.
liquidambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:58 PM   #24
Heron

Does aloe Vera work for burns?
If so, I bet that jewel weed would too -- it seems to be the same kind of stem all juicy like too.

Oh, aloe vera might be a good something to put in soap.

So Jewel Weed won't stop you from itching but it has the same stuff in it that Preparation H does -- maybe it will shrink large blood vessels with it then?
Old 02-15-2013, 06:04 PM   #25
Official Plant Nerd

Aloe vera works for minor burns like sunburn. Burns can be trouble.... anything beyond a 1st degree burn should really be looked at by a doctor.
--
Jewelweed shows up on a cub scout list somewhere.... some of the parents said it could provide some relief but pretty much said it was only better than nothing. I've got plenty of jewelweed around me but.... I've never tried it because I've got Tecnu here and all the 1st aid kits we took with us camping had Tecnu in them too.... the last thing in the world you'd want to deal with on an overnight camping trip would be a coupla young boys that got into poison ivy or poison oak when jewelweed's out of season.

adding something.... here's a photo of some of my soap. I did it!!!! Yay!!! So who is brave enough to take a class and try it themselves?
Attached Thumbnails
Home made bar soap....-img_2166.jpg  

Last edited by Equilibrium; 02-15-2013 at 06:07 PM. Reason: adding something
Equilibrium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:21 PM   #26
Heron

Very pretty soap!
Old 02-08-2019, 09:58 PM   #27
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

I was outside last week toying around with some home made soap blowing bubbles around the yard in the 30 some below zero weather we had just to see if they'd freeze mid air. They actually DID!

It was bit tricky to accomplish as I had to keep fluffing them upward with my hands long enough for them to freeze hard enough to capture.
Home made bar soap....-frozen-soap-bubbles-edited.jpg
However THIS recipe (being a thicker brew) might be worthy of a try for producing a more sturdy secure bubble.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 08:29 PM   #28
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
I was outside last week toying around with some home made soap blowing bubbles around the yard in the 30 some below zero weather we had just to see if they'd freeze mid air. They actually DID!

It was bit tricky to accomplish as I had to keep fluffing them upward with my hands long enough for them to freeze hard enough to capture.
Attachment 46249
However THIS recipe (being a thicker brew) might be worthy of a try for producing a more sturdy secure bubble.
Cool!
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 07:45 PM   #29
Hippie Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post

Attachment 46249
Cool! I have a Facebook friend in Washington State that has been sharing photos of frozen bubbles. They are beautiful.

Tags
bar, bar soap, class, classes, home, homemade soap, lye, made, make, making, poison ivy, soap, soap making supplies, soapmaking, sopas