Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > Sustainability

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2012, 08:17 PM   #31
Fox

recycle part of the RMH fun is: using salvaged stuff!

Rocket Mass Heaters (RMH) have lots of fun attributes about them, one of which is using salvage stuff to build it with. Homemade things sometimes require going to the store, and since I started my personal RMH project, I have spent $39.00/10 fire brick (the burn tunnel & lower base of heat riser), & another $20.00 on the 6 & 8" stove pipe (that remain in the heat riser part of the stove). And I spent $11.00 on duct reducer. Luckily I saved alot of money by already having a used (1)metal barrel, a length of (1) 18" X 10' stainless steel 'flashing' sheet metal, a scrap of 36" wide roofing metal, an old window screen, an scrap piece of 1/4" rabbit cage screen (screens used to sift rock & sand out of dirt).

So from my previous posts you have seen most of the stuff used, but I finally got to the 'mass heater/exhaust duct work' part of the project. I called the store, they quoted something like over $100.00 for duct pipe & connectors....I'm still recovering from "sticker shock"! But guess what~~~ ohhhhhh yeah I detoured from the building supply store, and I dropped in on my local heating & air-conditioning business~~just for fun yanno~~. The owner was quite accommodating, as I asked about 'scrap 6" duct work', he showed me the pile behind his very nice shop. Well the thing is, I could only find 2 pieces of 6" duct,BUT there was 5" & 7" duct also dented & smashed in the pile. So I got 2/5, 2/6, &2/7" lengths, and these funny manifolds & turns were still bolted on so I just took those with. I got all these pipes hanging out the window of my car, I was so proud of my local business man's generosity!

When I got the stuff home, I set about taking off the insulation and fixing the damage. I didn't realize till I got home, that I had 3 different sizes OMG, but I also realized, it wasn't a problem~~~ actually a blessing! Because my exhaust duct work shall be equally stepped down...which is optimum!

Pix 001 shows my cache of new free junk! whoo hooo
Pix 008 shows my adaptation of the sheet metal form (barrel fits over this)
Pix 010 shows my exhaust manifold in position to collect & channel exhaust gases BELOW the lower rim of the installed barrel, & into the 7" exh. duct.
Pix 014 shows the 5,6, & 7" duct pipes connected! Also you will notice (2) port holes along the pipeline, these are for 'clean out & inspection holes', under normal operation those (2) ports will be blocked off.

Just think, before today I didn't even know how to spell: 'sheet metal mechanic', and now... I ARE ONE~~~smillllllllleeeeeeeesssssss~~~

wildwatcher
Attached Thumbnails
What did you do today to prepare for whatever?-rmh-sept2012-001.jpg   What did you do today to prepare for whatever?-rmh-sept2012-008.jpg   What did you do today to prepare for whatever?-rmh-sept2012-010.jpg   What did you do today to prepare for whatever?-rmh-sept2012-014.jpg  
wildwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:01 PM   #32
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

And all the pipes get buried? What's the hole for.... to warm your seat once it's all finished?

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:22 PM   #33
Fox

ant cartoon RMH baby steps

So far, so good Doozerdoo, caught your chicken coop build...nice job!

hi havalotta, there are (2) 'clean-out/access ports' the first port is part of the pipeline nearest the heat riser. The second is down stream, near the 'U' turn. The clean out ports are normally blocked off during use, but may be opened seasonally to vacuum or blow accumulated ash & debris in the pipeline. I've heard of a simple way to clean the pipes is use a leaf blower aimed into the pipeline to quickly clear the ash.

And yes, the pipes will soon become covered with dirt. I have not sent pixs yet but, I have already back filled the pipeline halfway full of dirt, tamped, & wetted this is mainly to provide a consistent rock free bedding for the pipeline. Now I have to refine some more dirt to finish back filling, which takes alittle time. It is important I think, to refine the dirt, removing the rocks, in order to integrate as much soil to pipe contact...which yields mass heat retention within said refined back fill. The normal way of back filling the mass heat bed is to use 'cob', which is high clay content soil mixed with straw, the additional back fill I will use will probably contain a large amount of cut & dried small tree roots. I'm using the tree roots because straw costs money, and I have lots of free tree roots left over from my recent driveway project. Tree roots are at least as strong as straw, in my opinion.

There continue to be 2 major challenges of this RMH project, the first is to build a reliable home heater. The second is to somehow....~~~smilllllleeesss~~~ get the heat into the house! (its one step at time for a guy like me)

wildwatcher
Old 09-14-2012, 07:37 PM   #34
Fox

Scissors a few things to do, almost ready to fire

Pix 001 shows the metal liner in the burn tunnel.

Pix 004 shows the sheet metal 'form' glued down with wet mud, the barrel will slip over this form & locate concentrically to the heat riser.

Pix 005 shows the final sheet metal trim around the exhaust manifold, all to be covered with dirt. I 'glued' in a 6" flower pot over the clean out port in this pix, to close the port until time to reopen and inspect inside.

wildwatcher
Attached Thumbnails
What did you do today to prepare for whatever?-mushrooms-sept2012-001.jpg   What did you do today to prepare for whatever?-mushrooms-sept2012-004.jpg   What did you do today to prepare for whatever?-mushrooms-sept2012-005.jpg  
Old 09-16-2012, 11:47 PM   #35
Heron

Oh man, I have seen these before and heard how wonderful they are to heat your home, this is the smartest thing to do! I wish I had a man around to take the bull by the horns. Looks awesome! Can not wait to hear how yours works !
Doozerdoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:08 AM   #36
Heron

Today I got my self more toilet paper, seems its always on sale so I get as much as I can! Also picked up paper towels and more dish soap to add to the lot i already have. Tomorrow way more water, it's on sale, 1.99 a 24 pack. Picking up 10 more to add to the collection. Looking into how to use these or recycle. This month is sort of a catch up month, will be doing azure standard, which I'm new at. So much good food and real cheap, best part delivered very close to my house and I just have to go pick it up! Best part, the fruits and veggies are organic! And I plan to dehydrate this batch. I'm thrilled there is corn on sale, 30 pounds to be dehydrated and adding this to my veggie mix for soups. Will have several pounds of this dehydrated mix and it will make A hundred gallons of soup! Time to stRt stocking up on kerosene again, also ordering more wicks. I purchased 2 kerosene heaters rated the best out there today, why 2? Because if anything drastic happens, and you have no parts, well then you got no heater.
Battery's are a must, stocking on at least 100 of every kind, including rechargeable and using a solar charger I purchased in the summer.
It's always good to have things you depend on at least every day, then get things you use weekly, then what you use monthly etc. heaters for winter, flash lights for power outages, lanterns for long term, and so fourth. And by all means canned meats and foods. A good grinder to grind wheat . I also picked up a Colman oven to bake bread cakes pies in. You name it. And it goes on top of wood stove or cook stove. Can not wait to try it out this winter on dads wood stove, along with my coffee pot, and my pudgie pie makers .
I do hope you are all trudging along and making head way on survival foods and items. It's so important.
Doozerdoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:15 AM   #37
Official Plant Nerd

Last week I got an overkill dose of alternative news and.... not much I can say other than I'd always had this little voice telling me hyperinflation was headed our way.... I think it is but.... my head's still in a spin over QE3 and Bernake wondering which hallucinogenic shrooms the dude got into before he pulled that shot on us not to mention this I found, 'It Is Not Just Your Imagination - American Families ARE Getting Poorer', It Is Not Just Your Imagination – American Families ARE Getting Poorer, "According to the study that Sentier Research has just released, median household income in the United States was sitting at $55,470 back in January 2000. In December 2007, when the recession began, it was sitting at $54,916. In June 2009, when the recession supposedly ended, it was sitting at $53,508. Today, it is sitting at $50,964. This is a long-term trend that is definitely going in the wrong direction.” Whoa…. gas was only $1 something a gallon back then and now it’s over $4 a gallon by me and gas hikes affect everything because everything is transported these days then there’s the cost of food even before the gas prices went sky high…. best guess is I’m shelling out $175 for what used to only cost me $100 so it’d be interesting knowing how much groceries have gone up since then with the recent increases in gas and groceries that aren’t reflected in the inflation index… they’re some of the things that are backed out... probably by design so that consumer confidence isn't shattered.
--
Soooo.... I asked my husband if he could stop and pick up more toilet paper for us too. A box is up from around $17 to $24.96 just since the last time we bought 2 boxes which was sometime last May I think. This week I'm gonna buy another 6 mos supply of chicken and rabbit feed since I already caught the price hikes on that because of all the crop failures and I'm afraid the chicken feed is gonna be up to $20 a bag in no time flat. I'm starting to research heavy seeded native plants for chickens that I could plant and grow myself.... I do have a lot of lawn left and I'm thinking why not waste more of it. I've got some notes on what I came up with but.... they're on the laptop.
--
wildwatcher> love it love it love it!!! Question for ya.... have you ever checked into a regular ole wood burning stove? Something you could make yourself or buy used off of Craigslist maybe that could be set up on bricks in your family room and vented out a window? I've seen youtubes on urban survivalists doing this and there's a specific type of stove they use that seems pretty efficient and you could even use it to dry out dish towels and socks and to simmer a stew or soup. Just a thought.... I'll try to look for the youtube I found on that military surplus type stove for ya so you can have a peek. No promises though on finding it since I can't remember exactly what it was called or even what the title of the youtube was.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:10 PM   #38
Fox

pawprint the jury is still out

hey Equilibrium, ya I kina got 'wood stove stickershock' at the local building supply, so I thought I would work real hard and doing nothing much...with this latest project. If this sucker doesn't get better, and quick...I'm going for the normal wood stove like you suggest. I'm just doing this for fun, kina, to see if it is worth a darn, so far, I'm not real impressed, but I got fine tuning yet to do!

Hey doozerdoo, ya I'm like a bull...in a china shop! hahaha I really want this thing to work, I tested it the other day, then it rained, heavily, ~~sigh~~ I'm not giving up on it yet, but the thing didn't get real hot to suit me. I'm thinking I'm too much of a fire bug, to just want a little bitty fire.

ww
Old 09-17-2012, 04:23 PM   #39
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Quote:
I tested it the other day, then it rained, heavily, ~~sigh~~ I'm not giving up on it yet, but the thing didn't get real hot to suit me.
So if it's built sorta like this guys representation is.....
What did you do today to prepare for whatever?-rocket-mass-heater-diagram.jpg
What keeps the rain from flooding the chamber?

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:03 PM   #40
Fox

I have a flooded burn tunnel, tyvery much! And I haz some cracked tile, I was just thinking: 'this isn't my day', but HEYYYYYYYY I never say that! LOL, so naturally I'm working on a modernday vernal pool, under the carport, and I'm thinking if the object is to drain the swamp...so I'm not really working on the RMH, as I am making a drainage trench....on step at a time with me yanno!

weird game isn't it?

wildwatcher

Tags
advice, food, heat, prep, preparations, prepare, preppers, prepping, reserves, rmh, rocket mass heater, storage, today, water