Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > General Gardening Boards > Small Space Gardening

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2010, 06:21 PM   #1
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Default ~Lib! Trumpet vine!

~Lib!  Trumpet vine!-p1050959.jpg

2nd year>lotsa vines>NO flowers!!!
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 07:26 PM   #2
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
Attachment 18346

2nd year>lotsa vines>NO flowers!!!
Sage,

I just dug out some trumpet vine that was aparently part of an overgrown flowerbed left to me by the previous owner. ...It is sending sprouts up everywhere. I dug some up with a good bit of roots and put it in a pot. I'm hoping to keep it, but not allow it to agressively take over an area where I don't want it. It has some very thick roots, and was likely cut back a lot. It hasn't bloomed for me in the ground, and I have no idea how soon it would in a pot, but I share your pain now. I'll be waiting for blooms too...maybe next year?
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 08:06 PM   #3

Good luck with yours. Problem with mine is it's a balcony plant taking up premium real estate I need for REAL bloomin' plants! Now!
Old 07-21-2010, 07:43 AM   #4
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Sometimes things don't bloom if you are taking TOO good of care of them.
Fertilizing can send many plants on a growing spree.... Greenery.
You may need to stress a plant into flowering. This can be done by holding back on the fertilizers and watering as is done with household violets.
The plant will think it's dieing and in a last ditch effort it tries to reproduce by creating its florals and future seeds....

I relocated a sprig of my trumpet vine last fall when I noticed it had ripped off my outside lighting and was then working on uplifting my siding!
At the time I thought it was a great idea to plant it under a dead plum in a floral bed to crawl up instead of using a typical trellis.
After a few years it should look like a flowering tree.
I know they spread by ground runners.... but how many, ...how far do they wander, and how hard does one need to pull on them to pluck them out.
I hope I don't regret planting it. I may have created a monster.

If I notice any runners next spring, I think I'll give the the pot method a try as you are doing.
I'd need to put it into the garage (45-50 degrees) or better yet, bury the pot in the garden in the fall to over winter it....giving it a rest.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 11:01 AM   #5

I may have to just throw it in the woods. It get fertilized with 15-30-15 which should promote flowers. It spent the winter in the storage closet. I'm old - I don't have time for this game!!!
Old 07-21-2010, 01:23 PM   #6

Throw it into your neighbors balcony... That way when it starts to bloom you'll be cursing yourself for giving it away....Been there done that.

Old 07-21-2010, 04:32 PM   #7

Current neighbor is about to leave. Woods woods woods
Old 07-21-2010, 05:35 PM   #8

No NO NO there must be someone...

Old 07-21-2010, 05:43 PM   #9
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Sometimes things don't bloom if you are taking TOO good of care of them..
The plant will think it's dieing and in a last ditch effort it tries to reproduce by creating its florals and future seeds....

I relocated a sprig of my trumpet vine last fall when I noticed it had ripped off my outside lighting and was then working on uplifting my siding!
At the time I thought it was a great idea to plant it under a dead plum in a floral bed to crawl up instead of using a typical trellis.
After a few years it should look like a flowering tree.
I know they spread by ground runners.... but how many, ...how far do they wander, and how hard does one need to pull on them to pluck them out.
I hope I don't regret planting it. I may have created a monster.
My dad used to say plants tend to make a lot of seed when they may be dying. I'm hoping the stress of being potted will help it bloom! Really, I'm not expecting any blossoms until next year or much later. I am just trying to avoid the runners.

I really don't have much experience with it. As a teen or in my early twenties, i wanted to plant it, now I'm a little wary of putting it in the ground--at last not NEAR the house as was done by the previous owner. You know first-hand what it is doing to your siding.

Mine is growing through a small rock wall that needs rebuilt (not because of the trumpet vine) and through an overgrown flowerbed. I am finding pretty big roots that break off and will likely send up more shoots. That is the limit of my experience. I'll know more next year if I see it coming up from buried roots.

I'm hoping to have that free-standing, tree-like look in my pot-bound trumpet vine. We'll see how that goes.

Good luck with yours.
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 06:55 PM   #10

I removed mine from alongside of the garage last fall or so I thought. It still pops up here and there. I'm assuming it's from leftover runners that were not removed entirely.
THAT is the reason I am unsure of weather I want it at all ! I can picture it popping up all over in the lawn once it finds its way under the plastic edging and I'm SURE it will.
Now that I think of it..... I planted a chain tree in its place along the garage.....
Must have weeded it out. Oh well, another invasive gone. GOOD!

Hmmmmm SAGE You better not toss it in the woods......
Don't release the Kraken!

Tags
balcony plants, bloom, blooms, flower, lib, mildew, no blooms, no flowers, plant, potted plant, trumpet, tumpet vine, vine