Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > General Gardening Boards > Small Space Gardening

View Poll Results: What do you plan growing in outdoor containers this season?
alpines 1 3.57%
buttefly and hummingbird plants 4 14.29%
cullinary herbs 6 21.43%
fruits 1 3.57%
native annuals or perennials 3 10.71%
ornamentals 1 3.57%
patio plants (brugs/plumeria/etc) 1 3.57%
vegetables 3 10.71%
mix (tell us) 6 21.43%
other (tell us) 2 7.14%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2010, 09:21 PM   #1
Administrator

Default What do you plan growing in outdoor containers this season?

What do you plan growing in outdoor containers this season?
Old 04-20-2010, 11:19 PM   #2
Slapping, Swearing, Itching, Scratching Mosquito Bait

Trees and shrubs ("other"), mostly, and a few ornamentals that I don't want to put in the ground, like Sedum. And all the houseplants spend summer outdoors.
swamp thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 08:31 AM   #3
WG Writer

blueberries.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 06:01 PM   #4
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

why can choose only one thing in the poll?
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 09:34 PM   #5
Official Plant Nerd

We've got a choice of mix and other... I think maybe they thought that covered multiple choice? I dunno. I picked ornamentals since I stick some geraniums and petunias in some pots I've got outside. I do have a plumeria. It was a gift but that stays in the same pot all year round and I move it inside in fall and back outside sometime in June. I keep waiting for that plant to do something but so far it keeps growing up and putting on leaves. It looks like a fat stick with a poodle pom pom of leaves at the top of it.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:42 PM   #6

well the poll won't work well if you can't choose any of the other things you'll plant. I couldn't click on the items I'll plant on my little balcony! Plus, once I get to the garden center............................
Old 04-21-2010, 10:48 PM   #7
Official Plant Nerd

I know what you mean about once you get to where the plants are for sale.... that's why I take lists with me. I'm not as likely to buy on impulse if I have to think too hard about where I'm going to put something and.... I only have so many planters to stick things in. Thinking slows me down to a snail's pace so I stick to geraniums mostly for my planters.
Old 04-22-2010, 05:09 AM   #8
Rock Star

Almost all my potted or container plants are non- natives I've removed from the garden to make room for new native plants. Some I'll keep only temporarily for early color, like the daffodils and tulips and small bulbs like grape hyacinth, before I divide them and pass them along. The remaining daylilies will be all be potted and 1 of the peonies so I'll have more room for milkweed and a few more plants to attract hummingbirds.
I am considering getting a few containerized non natives that attract hummers.
I find watering and dragging the hose around one of the least enjoyable tasks in the garden so the amount of pots will be limited and placed near the spigot.
will-o-wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:27 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
I know what you mean about once you get to where the plants are for sale.... that's why I take lists with me. I'm not as likely to buy on impulse if I have to think too hard about where I'm going to put something and.... I only have so many planters to stick things in. Thinking slows me down to a snail's pace so I stick to geraniums mostly for my planters.
In that all my stuff is in containers on the balcony, I want to the largest variety I can get! Short, tall, colors, herbs, attractive for hummers and butterflies, get that jungley look!

I brought some Tillandsias back from Florida and put then on the kitchen sink, just under a window, and they have been blooming madly!
Old 04-22-2010, 02:56 PM   #10
Lungwort

I should have checked "mix." I grow herbs plus blueberries and tomatoes and maybe strawberries (?) in pots, plus I have some butterfly-friendly flowers in pots. They're all on either side of my driveway, near the garage door.

Sorry I haven't been around much. Other priorities have arisen. Stay well till I can resume interaction on a more regular basis.

Tags
container, container gardening, containers, flower pots, flowers, growing, herbs, outdoor, plan, planting, plants, pots, potted plants, season, vegetables