Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > General Gardening Boards > Small Space Gardening

View Poll Results: What do you plan growing in outdoor containers this season?
alpines 1 3.57%
buttefly and hummingbird plants 4 14.29%
cullinary herbs 6 21.43%
fruits 1 3.57%
native annuals or perennials 3 10.71%
ornamentals 1 3.57%
patio plants (brugs/plumeria/etc) 1 3.57%
vegetables 3 10.71%
mix (tell us) 6 21.43%
other (tell us) 2 7.14%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2013, 11:46 PM   #31
Heron

Havalotta;
My neighbor-- used the word pretty when describing the pallets she saw in Florida.

She was not doing it because it was practical - they have a huge garden full of lettuce and endless stuff-- that little pallet was hardly a drop in the bucket for them and their large extended family. She was doing it for beauty.

So it might not really lack in style- I don't know, YET - I have not seen it all finally sprouted and growing - to know..
But don't you worry about those pallets - you did the right thing-

I have seen the show "Hoarders" on the TV and I think it reminds us all we need to be cautious. Hmmm, I think I am starting to lose control - I have two house holds to keep up plus all my gardening and all - I would have left those pallets too.
liquidambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:18 AM   #32
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

I Havalotta stuff as well, that being the reason for my user name.
I chose the name because I THOUGHT it would be a catchy name to sell things on E-bay instead of selling items via a Rummage sale. NOT!
Sure you might get more bucks for it but I found it WAY too time consuming. I'd rather have less moola and more time to do things I want to do.

I "used" to pick a lot more goodies out of the heaps and piles of junque people just left in the homes my hubby buys, fixes, and resells....
I think I've finally reached a stage in my life where I do not want to clean, fix and repair things for a measly few bucks.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:22 AM   #33

If I was gardening at the camp I'd very willingly give the pallets a gallant try but with living in a subdivisions with all these rules and regulations I'm sure they'd send someone over to tell me to get rid of that heap of an eyesore. Oh well, It is, what it is here...

Old 05-18-2013, 06:07 PM   #34
Heron

Havalotta -that is a cute call name and thanks for sharing how you came up with it.
I too have reached that stage. I am a crafter and those might be the worse hoarders of all. I am working on it - except I spend most of my time getting rid of my mother's stuff -I did -this all winter long. She is another crafter. New rules: If I can't eat it, and if I have not wore it in three years - then it goes. I do have a bunch of ceramics and my Mother loved to crochet and she has a bunch of dolls (sigh) -- I now have a bunch of dolls I should say. Oh, and I have some gourds that are mine to get rid of too.

I would guess, I did not ask - where my neighbor saw this pallet idea in Florida was at Disney World. But I hear you on the subdivision. I once went through a subdivision that was fancy and big houses and I was told that they could not even leave their garage doors open - against the rules.
So I imagine the pallets are out of the question even if it was a fancy stuff at Disney World.
liquidambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:47 AM   #35

I'm a crafter as well and you sure do accumulate little things you think you might incorporate or use someday.
My mom's also a doll lover so I know exactly what you're dealing with. I'll be doing the same someday.~Sigh~
Quote:
I spend most of my time getting rid of my mother's stuff
Same thing I worked on all Winter long. Mom had a fire (Thank goodness it started and put itself out to lack of oxygen while she was away) and you could not imagine the STUFF I unpacked after the smoke removal guys returned her things. She needed help determining what to get rid of. Hers and my fathers (who passed on a while back) He too collected quite the mass, sports related items. We ended up creating a heap large enough to have an auction! Whoops... Better get our thread back on track with the container gardens.

I spent most of yesterday filling pots to house tomatoes and such on the porch. Seems I've ran myself out of room in my little 8x8 garden out back. Its edges are being used as a holding area for the grapes I got from Biigblueyes and another dozen or so little saplings I dug up at camp that I just had to have (Birches and beech). I haven't any Idea yet as to where their final resting-planting place will be until the ditch project about to be, is finished.

Tags
container, container gardening, containers, flower pots, flowers, growing, herbs, outdoor, plan, planting, plants, pots, potted plants, season, vegetables