Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > General Gardening Boards > Small Space Gardening

View Poll Results: What do you plan growing in outdoor containers this season?
alpines 1 3.57%
buttefly and hummingbird plants 4 14.29%
cullinary herbs 6 21.43%
fruits 1 3.57%
native annuals or perennials 3 10.71%
ornamentals 1 3.57%
patio plants (brugs/plumeria/etc) 1 3.57%
vegetables 3 10.71%
mix (tell us) 6 21.43%
other (tell us) 2 7.14%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2010, 04:34 PM   #11
WG Facebook Administrator

Herbs, veggies, a few ornamental annuals...
amelanchier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:18 AM   #12
Unicellular Fungi

Vegetables. I like the ease of having them in pots I can move.
Old 04-24-2010, 07:26 PM   #13
Carbon

PlantInPot What will I plant?

I think that I'll try planting some herbs in pots, and some tomatoes and peppers in the ground. If I plant enough, the squirrels, deer, raccoons, and birds can't possibly eat them all... right?

PassKeyFilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 11:19 PM   #14
Official Plant Nerd

Or so you hope!!!!
Old 04-25-2010, 08:20 AM   #15
Grub

I grow "all of the above" many things I grow in the garden I grow in containers as well ..I think it looks nice adds texture and elevation to the garden .. ..makes great use of otherwise unused spaces..

I am trying something new this year ..my work tosses tons of foam coolers ..such a waste ..a person only needs so many coolers and so since they are pretty large I turned some into planters... I covered them with a mock hypertufia (I can not find the recipe but when I do if anyone is interested I can post it) and now they look kind of like rock planters ..I am hoping they will gather moss, blend in and look more authentic as time goes on (right now they are kind of sticking out!) ..but talk about light weight and sturdy at the same time! ...so this is the first year I will be using them so wish me luck! ..next year if it turns out they look good I may just fill the smaller shorter ones with sedums and give them as gifts ..they should keep plants warm anyway ...

they do look like rock if you do not look too closely ..
Heidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:36 AM   #16
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

I will be growing a variety of patio tomatoes. Having tried them last year, I really liked them up close and handy PLUS the fact that they produced normal sized tomatoes on such a reduced sized plant!

As far as the ornamentals, Picture these set in a wave from short to tall and then back to short again behind the patio furniture.
Aztec lily, Calla lily, Voodoo lily, Ginger (Thanks Biigblue) a central angels trumpet, Ginger, Voodoo lily, Calla lily, Aztec lily.

The tomato seeds have been set into tiny peat pots and have had their first watering in yesterday. I now have a fluorescent lighting system (Thanks to my son) and have went on to purchase the more expensive plant bulbs figuring it would be worth it in the long run, not using it more than a few hours yearly. I will be plugging the light into a timer so I won't have to turn it on and off daily manually.

QUESTION: How long, should I set the timer-light to be on daily?

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:22 AM   #17
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Hava, in one house, I had many long tables in the basement with the double florescent Gro-lux tubes hanging over them and started all my seedlings. Then I had art classes for kids in another room!

With the robins appropriating my balcony this year, I may not get a chance, but I was planning on toms, salad greens, and colorful flowers! Oh! And lots of herbs!
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:51 AM   #18
Grub

Glad this thread came up again

Parking Lot Container Garden 2.0 sees many changes from last year. No tomatoes for me.

Carrots, spinach, radishes, kitchen herbs, romaine, cucumbers. Next year (with more containers) will probably add kale and/or chard (mostly for the bunny).

Here's to all of 2013's gardens!
Old 04-23-2013, 07:05 PM   #19
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
Hava, in one house, I had many long tables in the basement with the double florescent Gro-lux tubes hanging over them and started all my seedlings.
So, you were not always an official non-gardener!
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:46 PM   #20
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

No.... And that reminds me that one sring while digging up the garden, I found the wedding ring I lost a couple years earlier! Another time I found it in a crisper six months after I lost it! My ex replaced them about three times, but after the fifth time he thought there was a message there...
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
container, container gardening, containers, flower pots, flowers, growing, herbs, outdoor, plan, planting, plants, pots, potted plants, season, vegetables