Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > General Gardening Boards > Small Space Gardening

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2010, 11:56 PM   #41
Official Plant Nerd

Have you ever seen the land/water dishes>>>? You need one of those. If I see one I'll buy it for you.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:53 AM   #42
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Never have....Now you've got me wondering what they look like.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 11:31 PM   #43

I have yet to see any photos of the land water dishes you speak about. Any idea what they are called?
Nows the time to gather a few of the smaller outdoor plants to get creative with. Before the frost hits...

Old 09-18-2011, 07:00 PM   #44
Official Plant Nerd

You going back through old threads you meant to keep up with, eh? Me too.
--
Sorry about forgetting this one. Here's a bonsai planted in a land and water pot, A Juniper Bonsai Tree in a Land/water Pot -A Beautiful Scene From Abonsaiforyou: Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food=. Here's a more traditional land and water pot that's shallower than what's being made commercially today, help id-ing saikei pots. The top pot is what's called a river pot and they're calling the 1 beneath it a land and sea pot.
I haven't seen any anywhere or it woulda jogged my memory to look for this thread.
Old 09-19-2011, 05:44 AM   #45
Rock Star

Those are wonderful pots and soon I'll be looking for an indoor garden project.
I will resist looking for them... but now I'm thinking they would be perfect inside the empty and waiting ...no, I will resist.
will-o-wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 11:15 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
You going back through old threads you meant to keep up with, eh? Me too.

Here's a bonsai planted in a land and water pot, A Juniper Bonsai Tree in a Land/water Pot -A Beautiful Scene From Abonsaiforyou: Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food=. Here's a more traditional land and water pot that's shallower than what's being made commercially today, help id-ing saikei pots.
How'd you guess.....
I thought it was about time I went through the oldies but goodies now that things have slowed down since all the teachers went back to work......

Those are Cool...I'm going to lake a look and see if I have any hors d'oeuvre trays split like that or any of the kids critter dishes.
No drainage in either but If I took it easy on the watering. I can picture a mini garden-pond.

Old 01-09-2012, 05:03 PM   #47
Official Plant Nerd

Took me a while but…. I found this thread!!! Here’s another site I found that’s selling land water bonsai dishes, MichiganderPots. This 1’s way cool, Michigander Pots. I love everything about that land water dish. Too bad it’s not exactly affordable. I dunno if anyone’s trying 1 of these land water dish gardens but lemme know if someone is since I’ve got some of the miniature figurines that go with them. I pretty much came back empty handed from our trip last spring and I mean… literally empty handed except for a perfectly seasoned used wok that was gifted to me from a rural family and some of the little figurines I bought. I don’t know why I was so attracted to them because if I’d been thinking…. I shoulda bought a Chinese stove top rice steamer instead. That I woulda used. These little figurines just called out to me to bring em back to the US and the more I think about it…. the more I know I’ll never have time to do anything with them.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:59 PM   #48

I picked up a large shallow southwestern looking dish at a used goods store Ooooooonly 20 miles from Equill just last week. Oh how I wished I had had Equills phone # on me at the time so I could have stopped in for a visit.
I made a miniature scene resembling the Arizona desert we had visited not long ago, tiny figurines inclusive. At yet another resale shop I bought a really cool shallow Lille pad shaped dish. I can picture it full of various forms of mossy hills, rocks, twigs and a few fake frogs tucked in. That one will have to wait for the spring thaw. Actually Fall.... Is the best time to gather moss when their at their peak when the fruiting bodies add a bit color and form to their otherwise flat appearance.

So far......I've an extra shallow dish if you'd like to make one the next time you're in the neighborhood.
Bring some tiny plants or we could scrounge some up in my yard or at camp.

As far as that last link. I thought they were quite expensive.
You can buy "lizard dishes" (for their food and water) at the pet stores for a LOT less that look like the natural stones.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:42 PM   #49

Dish gardens-dscf2566.jpg
Actually I ended up making five of the shallow succulent gardens.
Dish gardens-dscf2559.jpg
Once I get on a roll
Dish gardens-dscf2556.jpg
it's hard to stop
Dish gardens-dscf2565.jpg
until all of the supplies
Dish gardens-dscf2561.jpg
have been exhausted.

Tags
dish, dish garden, dish garden containers, dish garden how to, dish garden plants, flowers, gardens, how to, how to make a dish garden, native plants, succulents, tutorial, wildflowers